Childrens PFD's

TJQ

Hey!! I'm doing some research on PFD's for a friend of mine, and have come upon something unusual... I thought it was the law for kids 12 and under. That they had to be wearing a life jacket, BUT, for the life of me I can't find any reference to that fact, not even on the govt safe boating site..

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/menu.htm

Now I know that they should be wearing them.. but is there a law that says they HAVE TO??

I always thought there was.

The law states that there must be a PFD of appropriate size for everyone in the vessel at all times. As far as I know, no one needs to be wearing one. The interesting part in this thing is that there are currently no approved PFDs for children under 20lbs. If all of the above is true, then a child under the age of 10-12 months could never legally be in a boat.

that's a good one...I tell my kids that it is the law and they have to wear one until they are 16 ;) , the teenagers bum a little bit but hey....that's my rule!!! :Gonefishing: when they where all smaller, my 5 year old included now, they where not allowed on the dock without a pfd on. and good point about sizes, my kids been in boats since moths old with an "infants" pfd, and as for different sizes, well having 3 kids growing up going to the trailer ect..no worries there, I have all assorted sized...infant..toddler, child, junior adult..adult..I think I got it covered..lol, heck it comes in handy at my trailer too when some of the neighbous are goofing off enjoying the summer and they have guests and not enough pfd's to go around...I always offer what ever is available in my shed

I don't know what the law is.

forget the PDF...make them wear a lifejacket!

Someone mentioned they have not been able to find a PDF for under 20lb life jacket. Here is a link for an approved infant life jacket 9-25lbs:

http://www.mountainbaby.com/item.php/Salus_Bijoux.html

If they are less than 9lbs put them in a bucket and call them bait! :lol:

forrest

Edited by forrest

The law states that there must be a PFD of appropriate size for everyone in the vessel at all times. As far as I know, no one needs to be wearing one. The interesting part in this thing is that there are currently no approved PFDs for children under 20lbs. If all of the above is true, then a child under the age of 10-12 months could never legally be in a boat.

Actually a child under 20 pounds does not require PFD. See attached letter.

http://www.salusmarine.com/transport_canada.html