Lure Retreiver- Do they really work?

bassfighter

Any one tried using a lure retriever? Is it as easy to use as explained by the instruction.

Do they work on rocky bottom and tree stomp?

Have you ever lost the retriever itself after trying to retreive your lure?

I want to use it when a pricey minnow plug or spoon get stuck. I don't really care about getting a jig head stuck.

Based on the way they work, you need a direct line to the lure...if the line is wedged between a couple of rocks, the lure retriever is going to stop there, and won't grab the lure. Current, stucture and lure size will make it different every time.

A 3oz weight on a snapswivel is a great lure retriever. Clip it onto your line and let it go down and knock against the lure. Works great on wood.

That's something worth looking into. Can't say I've thought of that before. Do you have much success with this method. I guess at the worst you break the line and lose a lure and a 3 oz weight.

Only problem seems to me to be this... you send it down your line and it doesnt work.

then what?

your out a lure AND a retriever.

Simple solution, dont get snagged B)

EDIT- that snagmaster is different than most that I have seen and looks like it would definatly work for wood anyways

Edited by kemper

EDIT- that snagmaster is different than most that I have seen and looks like it would definatly work for wood anyways

I have pulled up many trees with it as well as anchor line with the anchor still attached. :D It has no problem in the weeds either.

Edited by Zib

I have two. One that is an extending aluminum pole that is used often. Retrieves up to about 15 feet from bottom, shore and trees. The other is on a heavy cord the size of chalk line cord. I use it much less often for deeper snags. I've had them for probably 20 years and I can remember only one deep snag that I had to break off.

The extending pole came from BPS and I can't recall where I got the other. It is a heavy weight with slots for your line to enter and chains to get the hooks snarled to if you can't bounce it free.

I've saved the cost of both many times over.

I have 2 as well. I use the pole in shallow water mostly when fishing cranks or jigs. I also have the Bass Pro shops one on a cord like line. I went 2 steps further with mine though. I got sick of trying to untangle or fumble with the cord line on those cheap winding line spools. I bought a cheap baitcaster and used a rod handle to attach the retreiver to. 2nd I added stainless chain and more strands, seems to grap quicker. Now I have one that is easy to reel up and stores away in my boat very neatly. They are well worth the money. Remember it usually pays for itself the first time you use it as they are very inexpensive. I also use bell type sinkers with a small cut in the line ring to attach to the line, sometimes all you nees is a little bump to pop them out.