Lake Erie Ling Cod.

qaz

<_< OK I got a new mother-in-law that likes cat fish, and i was telling her about lings and she wants to try them.

She live in the Lemington/Kingsville area of Lake Erie.. I can catch Lings right off the beach or the creek mouths in the area. Can She eat them or will it be a :stretcher: to the hospital or worse?

:whistling: I mean getting a mother-in-law out of the way is maybe every guys dream, but feeding her toxic fish is not the way to do it. P.S. I skin my lings so that I am left with a skinless, rib less "fish roast" on a spine, never cut the belly.

So in short are they non-eatible or is it :Gonefishing: time.

<_< OK I got a new mother-in-law that likes cat fish, and i was telling her about lings and she wants to try them.

She live in the Lemington/Kingsville area of Lake Erie.. I can catch Lings right off the beach or the creek mouths in the area. Can She eat them or will it be a :stretcher: to the hospital or worse?

:whistling: I mean getting a mother-in-law out of the way is maybe every guys dream, but feeding her toxic fish is not the way to do it. P.S. I skin my lings so that I am left with a skinless, rib less "fish roast" on a spine, never cut the belly.

So in short are they non-eatible or is it :Gonefishing: time.

They are eatible

Ling are defintally edible, especially from places like erie and lake temagami. The main body meat on a ling is very tough and kind of chewy when cooked, but most of the aboriginals have told me to fillet the tail piece from the anal fin down and cook it like any other fish. If you insist on eating the entire body of the ling, cut the rest of the meat into small chunks and make some kind of ling stew out of it. Every year they have a weekend in temagami called the Ling Fling where all the ling are collected from the weekends catch and a mass stew is made on the ice for a Ling Fling cookout

Mike

Your right the belly meat is too fatty and jelly like but the meat from along the back is snow white and very firm while the meat from the tail section is good too. I have eaten their roe and liver fried in butter. The liver is very mild and the roe is tasteless mush.

One more thing I was not aware that ling/burbout were in lake Erie. Are you sure your not talking about bowfin?

Edited by hammercarp

How shallow are you catching them? I thought they were more of a open water kinda species.

We pull them often in Lake Temiskaming, but it's usually through the ice, some ways from shore.

If you can bear the stench, I hear they're just like cod!

Like Mike said though, the belly meat should be cut off.

Can we see a pic??

cheers

HD

if they're burbot then eat em. i catch em all winter and hope to post an actual report in a few weeks when i get back from florida. i eat them all the time in winter as that is the only time i catch em but through the ice they are relatively easy to catch. real tasty. dont eat dogfish. dont do it

THanks for the info guys(and gals). I am slow getting back to the replies because I am at work driving in the States.

I am talking about Burbot.

They live in cold water and taste great after you skin them, which removes the skin ribs, guts and belly.

p20%203%20col%20dove%20burbot.JPG

I am not talking about finger trims AKA Bowfin. Which like warm swampy water..

Burbot are more active in the winter and spawn some time about mid-winter. I mean I've seen a burbot that was grabbed close to the tail by a pike of equal size turn around and eat the pike.

there is Ling in Erie...it's not bowfin I gather the guy is talking about....I know for a fact they are in the lake...Bigugli got a nice one in the river end of last winter down the road from my house..a huge one probbaly 12-13lbs

there is Ling in Erie...it's not bowfin I gather the guy is talking about....I know for a fact they are in the lake...Bigugli got a nice one in the river end of last winter down the road from my house..a huge one probbaly 12-13lbs

You mean this thing.

DSCN1771.jpg

Near as UGLI as me :lol: Never saw a tomcod this big before. Wasn't a clean catch, hooked in the side of the head so I never weighed it. Swam off to get fatter for someone else.

Edited by bigugli

Well Karen and I are heading down today, I just hope the ice in not piled up along the shore..I think the little creek will keep it clear, but you never know. We're fishing at night so will what to see it in the day light first.

I'll try and get pics of the trip. :Gonefishing: