What to do with a couple of used cell phones?

Big Cliff

For years I have been paying Bell $60.00+ a month for a couple of cell phones. We hardly ever use them except for emergencies but pay anyway so pay we did. The end of Nov. our contract was up so I started looking for options (Bell and I have a love hate realtionship, I love to hate them!). So I ended up talking to a lot of people and as a result called Virgin Mobile! Within about 3 rings I had a real person on the phone, they even spoke english, (that I could understand) and were fun to talk to, actually, they seemed really interested in helping me (wow, what a revolution)!

I ended up getting two new phones (with cameras, I didn't need the camera but it was the same price as one without the camera) $49.95 ea. (but wait, there is more), If I went on a pre paid plan, they would give me back $35.00/ phone credit toward my pay as you go plan. Wow, now the phones were only costing me about $15.00 ea (But wait, there is more) I got no "system access fee", No "911" fee, free call display, messaging, and three way calling.! OK so I was paying Bell $720.00 a year and didn't have display, messaging, 3 way calling. Not only that on the pay as you go plan, I could do automatic top ups, so I would never run out of time.

So, here is the deal, I have two LG phones, they still work OK but we don't need them any more, if they are worth anything, we will auction them off to anyone that can use them (any proceeds go to Rick) If they have no cash value (they are about 4 years old) then what should I do with them (ya, i thought about sending them back to Bell Freight PPD) but thought I'd ask on here first!

Edited by Big Cliff

I've been with Virgin mobile for a couple years now and it's been great.

I barely use my phone, maybe only 5- 10 times a month.

I've got the prepaid package and i pay only $100 a year!

The money i save goes toward fishing stuff. :thumbsup_anim:

i am with Virgin and LOVE 'em. been with them for 3-4 years. im on a pay as you go. $20 a month does it. i have considered doing a plan but not sure if I want that extra bill.

i have not one bad thing to say about Virgin. over the years i have caused about 5 of my friends to switch over to Virgin. And they love it.

Edited by Mattones

PULL!!!....................BOOM!!!

heh...used my girlfriends old computer to sight in my 12gauge with slugs :thumbsup_anim:

ive heard that some cellphones contain precious metals but have not done any research to see if thats true or not. i just threw 2 in the garbage last week when i was doing some cleaning.

Chickenhawk, these phones come free, no strings attached, no plan. Only reason I am getting rid of them is because I got new phones when I switched over to Virgin Mobile. You can have these if you would like.

I am currently going to school in Whitby, perhaps we can "relay" them through the OFC network and get them to you if you would like them.

Let me know.

Cliff

Guest lundboy

You used to be able to drop them off at any Telephone Booth Store (T-Booth) and they would collect them for a charity that would recycle the working ones for women's shelters and other charities etc.

They really have no value because of their age and because they are CDMA (not GSM), and only Bell can turn them back on, no good on Telus.

Guest lundboy
Sounds good Cliff, might look into it, I'm tired of Rogers....anyone know what kind of reception they get in more remote areas? I have no signal in my house most of the time or when I take the back roads to Bobcaygeon

Maureen

Virgin is on the Bell network. If you have any friends or relatives on Bell, get them to test your house and area.

Also if you have an older Rogers phone (pre 2004) or it is not "tri or quad mode" it will not have the lower (better) frequency for rural areas, so your signal will be poor. If you do have a phone with the 900MHz on it, then you are just in a weak area. Maybe a phone on the Bell network (Virgin Mobile, Solo, and PC Telecom use the Bell Mobility network, while 7−11, Petro Canada, and Cityfone use the Rogers network.), or a Telus phone may fit the bill. Hint: don't get any phone on a contract unless you are sure it works to your satisfaction in your area.

Here is a site that shows you the cell towers in southern ontario If your aren't in the SO area Maureen, it may not help.

http://www.arcx.com/sites/

Edited by lundboy

Moe, I have always had good reception on the bell system in this area even with my old phones but the new ones came in today (now that is service, signed up on Sunday, had the new phones in my hand on Tuesday PM). and I have full signal strength. Much better than the old phones that were 2-3 bars.

Cliff

Throw them into Lake Nipissing!!! :Gonefishing: ?

Seems to be a popular way of disposing of them for some people.. :w00t:

In the past 3 winters I've caught 2 cell phones while jigging for Walleye....1 In Calandar Bay

and 1 near Fisherman Is.

My Bud..caught 1 last year near the S**T Chute in North Bay...

Please DO NOT deposit the phones in NIP....

Just make sure it doesn't slip out of your pocket while Ice fishing!

:Gonefishing: :Gonefishing:

RFS