TV problems

kickingfrog

So I get home yesterday and turn the tv on to watch football and some hockey. The tv screen stays black but it does start to make a high pitch whine. The only way to stop it is to unplug the tv from the wall. A few dozen curse words later and the small tv from the office is in the living room. The "broken" tv is a 5 year old 36 inch RCA cathode ray tube style. Is there any point in trying to fix it or is it of any value to someone? I'm on my way to finds it's replacement right now.

Nine times out of ten, the problem with any electronics is the power supply blowing up! Sounds similar to what my old tv did!

Just not worth it to get it fixed based on price/replacement... so yah, I'd look at a flat panel. Lots on sale right now!

HH

Educated guess: one of the larger transistors for the cathode or PS is blown. They are about the size of a quarter and silver.

A service guy could probably do it with their eyes closed. Call up an RCA guy with the model and he will know the general fix and how much it will cost.

A new HD TV is nice but they are still $800 (no name) to $1200 (good). I was in best buy yesterday and did not see a single CRT.

forrest

Educated guess: one of the larger transistors for the cathode or PS is blown. They are about the size of a quarter and silver.

A service guy could probably do it with their eyes closed. Call up an RCA guy with the model and he will know the general fix and how much it will cost.

A new HD TV is nice but they are still $800 (no name) to $1200 (good). I was in best buy yesterday and did not see a single CRT.

forrest

I don't think they're even manufactured any more.

If I were you I would move on, By the time you get it fixed you could have a nice new one and you never know, it could brake shortly after getting fixed. We've got a couple of nice Big screens at my house that are mounted on the wall. When we purchased ours we were recomended panasonic and samsungs. Our Samsung is a 42" LCD and our Panasonic is a 52" PLASMA. We got both of them at sears. The staff was friendly and knowladgeable, overall a great excperiance. The Tv's work great, and have excellent quality HD with lots of other features, such as game mode, sleep mode etc.

Marcus

Thanks for the replies. The tv is going to be placed, that was never in doubt. I was just curious if there was any value to someone else for a 36 inch CRT tv (what a monster next to the new technology) that while only 5 years old is figuratively a dinosaur. :wallbash:

And if you can't read between the lines: Does this piece of junk have enough value that someone would be willing to come to my house to get rid of it?

While we're on the subject. Does anybody else get a kick out of these manufactures that try to sell you on a tv that they claim "will last well over 15 years"? Nothing is made to last 15 years (see above for proof, that tube cost more than the one I going to buy now), much less electronics that are out of date within 5 years. :blahblah1::wallbash:

No video output and high pitch whine sure sounds like a flyback transformer issue. Not a big deal to replace (after you discharge the stored energy in the set) and costs less than $100 for a do it yourselfer.

Personally I would fix it only because I prefer to repair than replace BUT since you did say RCA... it wouldn't be long before something else went wrong. Treat yourself to something newer.

Personally I would fix it only because I prefer to repair than replace BUT since you did say RCA... it wouldn't be long before something else went wrong. Treat yourself to something newer.

Our bedroom 36" RCA which is 23yrs old, just died on us a couple of months ago....guess they don't make em like they used to :whistling: .....it was replaced with another RCA :thumbsup_anim:

It's the perfect time to get a new one -- 2 months ago I picked up a 37" Samsung LCD for $750...paid a bit more to get the 1080P, which is better resolution. I didn't care, but the wife snapped like a twig on the upsell :glare: Important to keep about $100 aside for all the cables you will need to hook one of these bad boys up though!

My attitude going in was that ANY new TV would be so much better than my old one, and I could care less about HD, but, after watching one hockey game in HD, that's it, I'm sorry to say that I'm sold on the stuff!

Edited by johnnyb

Reader beware!

There is a tonne of mis-information in this thread.

All I can says is do your own research at the following web-sites:

www.avsforum.com

www.digitalhome.ca/forum

Here's a place to research deals, just go to the electronics in hot-deals forum (I have rarely seen a "hot deal" from Sears posted):

www.redflagdeals.com

It is really only worth it to buy an HDTV if you are going to be watching HD broadcasts. Big screen TV's highlight the inheretly inferior signal from standard definition channels.

1080P is ONLY worth it if you have 1080P source material and are watching a 50" plus picture from less than 8 feet. The only way you can get 1080P source material is with a Blu-ray player.

Plasma has better picture quality than LCD, although LCD is usually better in bright rooms, not picture quality wise, but because of the glare. In a lighting controlled room, plasma is the way to go.

DON'T BUY EXPENSIVE CABLES!!!!! Go to this website and buy from them, there is no risk, they ship quickly and for reasonable prices. One wire cannot carry a signal any better than another, no matter what Mon$ter cable says.

www.monoprice.com

If you do your research, you will find that many, many, many, many people buy and reccommend Monoprice.

Don't rush into it just to have a TV now! Reasearch is your friend, spend the time and make the right purchase, you will have the TV a long time (hopefully). That brings me to my next point - rarely, if ever, consider an Extended warranty. They simply cost too much, sure you may hear 1 story of a person taking advantage of one and it was the best purchase they ever made, but for that one story, there's 80-100 that bought it and never used it.

If you need a TV now, go get a CRT at Walmart and return it when you buy your HDTV.

Edited by Dutch

Reader beware!

There is a tonne of mis-information in this thread.

All I can says is do your own research at the following web-sites:

www.avsforum.com

www.digitalhome.ca/forum

Here's a place to research deals, just go to the electronics in hot-deals forum (I have rarely seen a "hot deal" from Sears posted):

www.redflagdeals.com

It is really only worth it to buy an HDTV if you are going to be watching HD broadcasts. Big screen TV's highlight the inheretly inferior signal from standard definition channels.

1080P is ONLY worth it if you have 1080P source material and are watching a 50" plus picture from less than 8 feet. The only way you can get 1080P source material is with a Blu-ray player.

Plasma has better picture quality than LCD, although LCD is usually better in bright rooms, not picture quality wise, but because of the glare. In a lighting controlled room, plasma is the way to go.

DON'T BUY EXPENSIVE CABLES!!!!! Go to this website and buy from them, there is no risk, they ship quickly and for reasonable prices. One wire cannot carry a signal any better than another, no matter what Mon$ter cable says.

www.monoprice.com

If you do your research, you will find that many, many, many, many people buy and reccommend Monoprice.

Don't rush into it just to have a TV now! Reasearch is your friend, spend the time and make the right purchase, you will have the TV a long time (hopefully). That brings me to my next point - rarely, if ever, consider an Extended warranty. They simply cost too much, sure you may hear 1 story of a person taking advantage of one and it was the best purchase they ever made, but for that one story, there's 80-100 that bought it and never used it.

If you need a TV now, go get a CRT at Walmart and return it when you buy your HDTV.

I just picked up a December 2008 Consumers Report Titled Best of electronics.

out of 10 categories (sreen size, LCD or Plasma) Samsung were # 1 (6 of 10 categories)

a Samsung 720 p was rated above a Panasonic 1080P but was cheaper by $700

An Insignia and Vizio were rated as great values for 50"

Sanyo had fewer repairs for LCD while an LG was up there for the most

Panasonic had fewer while LG had the most in the plasma, but we are talking within 5% of top and bottom

My point is, price will not mean its better, read up on it. And you can't go wrong with a Panasonic or Samsung. Pioneer, looking at the chart tells me, your only paying for its name. Sony better reduce their price to compete with Samsung, because they are no better

we have a sony vega 62' and hasnt gone wrong yet

[/quote

Never said anything was wrong with a Sony except price competition. And for that matter I have an LG which I had to have a repair within the first year and it was warranted. Just Quoting the Magazine that makes it their business to help Consumers. Also they are not influenced by advertisers. As a matter of fact Im looking at buying a Sony or Samsung, which ever one discounts the price the most.

Edited by holdfast

I love my Samsung LN46A530, it's not the best 46" they make (and i should know ;)) but for the price WOW. NHL HD games are GREAT!

One thing to note, some times a MFG of the TV has firmware updates on the site for your new TV as well to help it perform better. I know that my TV was 2 revisions behind out of the box from what is current.

I love my Samsung LN46A530, it's not the best 46" they make (and i should know ;)) but for the price WOW. NHL HD games are GREAT!

One thing to note, some times a MFG of the TV has firmware updates on the site for your new TV as well to help it perform better. I know that my TV was 2 revisions behind out of the box from what is current.

Actually the LN46A550 was rated as the Top 46-47' LCD, next was a Vizio that scored 5 points less. The Samsung was Rated Picture Quality, HD Excellent, DVD Excellent, Standard definition Excellent, Viewing angle average, sound Quality very good, Remote Excellent, according to CR. Not sure what the difference between your model and CRs, Maybe one is American Brand?