Scared the bejezzers out of me

misfish

Another misleading example. Do some research of Wolf attacks on man. I'll save you the time. There are none to make it worth your while. I've been within 50 feet of a pack of wolves daily for a few months near Hudson Bay. A few were 4 to 5 feet tall at the shoulders. Beautiful animals. Kill a beautiful animal for what reason? Wish I had a camera back then.

Do you realize that a wolf that was 5 feet at the shoulder would easily stand eye to eye with a 6 foot man. There is no way you ever saw a wolf that was 5 feet at the shoulder. Impossible!

I think your talking coyotes, a wolf is massive, unless you have seen a REAL wolf in the wild you wont understand how big they can get, and the farther north you go the bigger they are, a wolf pelt from the tip of his nose to his tail can reach 10-12 feet, they are alot bigger then you think.

I watched 3 wolves chase a deer out into a field where I was bow hunting a few years ago.

The smaller one was about the size of a full grown German Sheppard. The other two were more than twice that size.

Not sure of the height.

Deer went around a corner of the field and back into the bush. Two wolves followed her path and one doubled back to cut her off.

I made a young deer call and two wolves came back to me, but they knew something wasn't right and walked away.

Amazing to see them work, but gave me the creeps as I had to get down from the stand and walk out.

These wolves were only a half hour north of Toronto.

Brian, if they get too close, pop 'em. Don't take any chances.

Truth be told I had a run in with them years ago, and I shared this story on the board Twice before.

I used to work at a small country Inn Years ago that was nestled right on the credit river in Terra Cotta.

I Never had any issue, nor had I heard of any issues with wild dogs until that year...

Local regulars in the pub were talking about this pack of Wild Dogs that had attacked someone, and killed their dog one night....they were appearently out for a walk just after dinner in the fall.

As time went by there were more and more reports of close calls, missing pets yada yada...

Winter came, and I had thought nothing of it for months until one night when I was walking the garbage out to the dumpster located down in the staff parking lot by the river.

I got 30 yards outside of the Building when I was suddenly rushed by what I would estimate as 6-7 dogs...

All barking snarling, and making lunges at me.

Luckily for me it was the fricken Garbage they wanted...

I dropped the bags and backed away slowly...they ripped the bags to shreds.

But a few were still more then a little interested in me.

Lucky for me...again...dropping the bag distracted them long enough to let me get back to the staff entrance with out incident.

But those dam dogs took a good run at me anyway.

I had to run my butt off for the 10 yards, and slam the door behind me.

The police were called as we still had a couple guests and staff that had to walk to their cars yet at the end of the evening...

An officer did show up, and we were told this was not an isolated incident, and that animal control would be taking care of this soon...

Needless to say when I left I borrowed the cast iron poker from the pub fireplace for my walk out to the car.

I heard, although it was only rumor...that animal control did infact track and put the animals down.

Either way I'll say this,

In my life I've run into bears that seemed interested in my stuff, Wolves that passed by my camp, Coyotes that crossed a road at the wrong time...and even a bobcat that scared the crap outta me(only because I didn't know it was there so when it took off it startled me)

But I've never ever been that close to real "incident" before.

They unfortunatly have no fear of people and they see us as sources of food...not nessarily food itself, but they can indeed be very dangerous if they think you have food, smell of food, are walking a pet that could be food...etc

Wild animals are usualy smart enough to not want anything to do with us.

But Wild Dogs...yup they are Scarey stuff.

Edited by Cookslav

Feral dogs are a nuicance here in KW.....they run in packs and kill livestock....

Problem with them is that they are bred and ingrained without the fear of humans. Wolves still have the fear of humans. And for those living in the York region and area...the barrier caused by the 400 and areas like King Road and Kirby Road you'll see a huge increase in Coyote and Feral dog attacks. With all of the food supply being cut off and the deer dying off, they have to go look for food somewhere

Edited by FishnNAutographs

Another misleading example. Do some research of Wolf attacks on man. I'll save you the time. There are none to make it worth your while. I've been within 50 feet of a pack of wolves daily for a few months near Hudson Bay. A few were 4 to 5 feet tall at the shoulders. Beautiful animals. Kill a beautiful animal for what reason? Wish I had a camera back then.

Wolves will take out an injured person. When I lived north of White River we had an incident where a native woman was found at the side of the road. A logging driver saw wolves flee from the ditch so he stopped and took a look and there she lay half eaten. She was prone to seisure attacks.

In another case I was talking to a trapper friend and he mentioned that one time he was walking across the ice to check his traps on an island and a small pack of 7 wolves were going to the same island and from a different location. The wolves veered from the island and headed directly towards him. He had to shoot 5 of the 7 wolves before they broke off.

In both cases they were Timbers.

Edited by Vanselena

Canadian hunting ethics may be different than the ethics I was brought up with.

The Golden Rule of Hunting

EAT WHAT YOU KILL

So what yer saying then is,let them attack? Or run like hell and hope they dont get ya? hmmmmmm

I have hunting ethics Dawg.

:canadian::canadian:

Feral animals are not covered by the same laws as native ones. If you are in danger, shoot. If only equipped with a bow, then a warning shot is useless...however if you have a gun, a warning should suffice.

They should be reported to both the MNR and local animal control. No good can come from a pack of feral dogs at large. They are no more likely or less likely to take out a person than a coyote. Yes they have experience with humans, but not as a meal.

So what yer saying then is,let them attack? Or run like hell and hope they dont get ya? hmmmmmm

I have hunting ethics Dawg.

:canadian::canadian:

Jeepers Brian! I didn't know you were such a skeerdy cat-chicken squat!!! :w00t:

... and it ain't no skin off my :asshat: if they attack you!... but they didn't, did they?

If they are indeed wild dogs they will fear man! All you had to do was stand up and holler at them, and they'd have been gone in the blink of an eye. Domisticated (pet) dogs will "pack up "too, and I'm a more afraid of being bitten by someones pet than a wild dog!!!

Domesticated or wild, all you will have to do is yell at them.. and if any come toward you, fire a warning shot into the air... you won't see them after that.

OK Reality check time

I also lived many years in Northwestern Ontario and once my son and I who were bird hunting were met on the trail by a pack of timberwolves ---I too said I'll show you how to deal with this so I yelled at them----no good

I fired my 12 ga. into the ground--still there

We fired 3-4x over their heads to get them to go away---I am reluctant to kill a wolf when there is an excess of deer.

Other times I've met wolves in the bush and they've run away.

Moral here is treat every incident as you find it--there are no hard and fast rules that cover every situation.

Now I was born at night but it was'nt last night---wolf 4-5 feet on all fours at the shoulders--Sorry

Bushart

I spent 2 summers guiding out Kesagami it 95 miles north of Cochrane and every year it was the same thing by middle summer the camp was over run with jack rabbits they were everywhere it was nothing to see a train of 10 chasing each other, then the wolves would show up early to mid Aug, you would never see them or hear them the rabbit population just would get smaller, you ask how did we know it was wolves the, its the answer to the old joke it does s**t in the woods. We had every thing up there and the only thing that made me nervous was the bears sometimes they would come into camp at night they were around the dump and some times would show up for shore lunch.

OK Reality check time

I also lived many years in Northwestern Ontario and once my son and I who were bird hunting were met on the trail by a pack of timberwolves ---I too said I'll show you how to deal with this so I yelled at them----no good

I fired my 12 ga. into the ground--still there

We fired 3-4x over their heads to get them to go away---I am reluctant to kill a wolf when there is an excess of deer.

Other times I've met wolves in the bush and they've run away.

Moral here is treat every incident as you find it--there are no hard and fast rules that cover every situation.

Now I was born at night but it was'nt last night---wolf 4-5 feet on all fours at the shoulders--Sorry

Bushart

I could really see that happening if there was a fresh kill in the area.

danbo Posted Today, 09:21 AM

Yo Dawg... What IF it was a 13 year old kid just hiking through the woods, armed with his bird-watching binoculars?

Then he would learn a lifes lesson... wouldn't he?

and his chances of getting lost and dying of exposure and dehydration are greater than being attacked by a pack of wild dogs... I mean rilly, when was the last time you heard of anyone being attacked and killed by a pack of wild dogs?

Kill the bloody mutt I say..for the good of everybody!

Some may say the same about you.

Edited by GCD

Quite often when I'm plowing down our crop stubble Coyotes will follow me catching mice or moles as the dirt gets turned over.I've had them as close as 30 ft from the tractor.They seem to be eating well as far as I can tell as they look good,healthy coats and good body size.

I've only witnessed this at night...never in the day light.

If I have to get out of the tractor to make an adjustment to the plow it can be a little nervee :ph34r:

I could really see that happening if there was a fresh kill in the area.

This was also our conclusion backed by a native elder from the Red Lake area---Like I said I've had numerous timberwolf encounters ----we have an agreement---they leave me alone and I do likewise.

Cannot see killing all the predators and then complaining about being over-run by deer etc. so much the MNR is giving up to 7 extra doe tags.

Ever wonder why they had to re-introduce wolves to Yellowstone---Hey Dawg I'm not just another pretty face......or a pretty face

Bushart

Jeepers Brian! I didn't know you were such a skeerdy cat-chicken squat!!!

:P:asshat::canadian:

BTW happy bird day to ya Dawg. Im sure I,ll catch up to you in the festive drinks.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I had my conversation with the CO via cell phone. There have been reports from other farmers in the area. With the load of snow that has dropped, getting out to take care of this problem has been hard also thier limited man power.

I was told if I was to shoot one,throw it in the truck and call them. The area farmers have been told to shoot them.

That should solve this issue.

4 to 5 feet tall at the shoulder. Just curious here. How tall at the shoulder would the highest wolf be that you've seen on the Hudson Bay shore?

bahahaha! 5ft at the shoulder eh? if you can get some proof of that, ill sign over my house and truck :rolleyes:

wild dogs and coydogs are a real problem and should be shot on site, along with dogs running deer (obviously not hunting dogs), or dogs without a collar that look to be in rough shape.

the last one i nailed was with my crossbow at 35 yards or so :thumbsup_anim:

the old neighbours have a daughter that has been working for the mnr for 10+ years. she, along with most CO's, recommend shooting proven feral dogs and ALL cats that are seen in the bush. they'd love to publish this in the regs but you can imagine all the crap they'd hear from tree huggers.

hunters are conservationists. therefore its our duty to protect wildlife from cats and dogs ;)

bahahaha! 5ft at the shoulder eh? if you can get some proof of that, ill sign over my house and truck :rolleyes:

wild dogs and coydogs are a real problem and should be shot on site, along with dogs running deer (obviously not hunting dogs), or dogs without a collar that look to be in rough shape.

the last one i nailed was with my crossbow at 35 yards or so :thumbsup_anim:

the old neighbours have a daughter that has been working for the mnr for 10+ years. she, along with most CO's, recommend shooting proven feral dogs and ALL cats that are seen in the bush. they'd love to publish this in the regs but you can imagine all the crap they'd hear from tree huggers.

hunters are conservationists. therefore its our duty to protect wildlife from cats and dogs ;)

Was wondering when you would say something. :canadian: