Bernie.. (NF)

Gerritt

Drinking is an interesting study. Some folks just plain shouldn't drink, but surely that doesn't apply to any in our little group of partiers here, and for those of you who shouldn't, and don't, my hat's off to you for your self-control.

Some guys are faithful to the end to one brand of beer or liquor and deviate hardly at all from their enjoyment of it. Others, as we've already read here, have one fave in the beerish world and one in the distilled world. Then there are those who drink only the cheapest lager when paying for their own, but suddenly become single malt drinkers when someone else is buying.

Me, I'm an alcohol slut. I go with whatever's available. At home I tend to favour robust (cheap but decent) red wines and Famous Grouse, with occasional side trips to the basement fridge for whatever brew happens to be there. Recently Lakeport Ale continued to miraculously appear and disappear there but I realized that I had gained a few pounds in too short a time and had to kick it out and go back to wine and scotch as goto beverages. Beer is great for young active guys but us old sedentary farts should stick to lower carbs and calories. Each Christmas season I seem to settle on a new fave from the liqueur cupboard. Drambuie, Cointreau, Sambuca, Grand Marnier and various brandies have all had their moment in the sun but once Christmas has passed they are relegated to the cupboard until the next December rolls around.

Cheers

JF

Not much of a drinker these days, but I enjoy a nice cold Rickards or Coors Light on a hot summer day, in the winter I enjoy a sip of a good Scotch or Whiskey. I don't like to mix my drinks with anything...see no need to spoil the taste of good alcohol :D

Maureen

Not much of a drinker these days, but I enjoy a nice cold Rickards or Coors Light on a hot summer day, in the winter I enjoy a sip of a good Scotch or Whiskey. I don't like to mix my drinks with anything...see no need to spoil the taste of good alcohol :D

Maureen

LOL Maureen, what about dawgs home brew and dancing with the chairs :lol:

I'm sorry but that was funny......I call it stupid in a bottle :whistling:

Beer... Steam Whistle... and yah Bernie, you are a bad influence! LMAO!

HH

Me??????????.... A bad influence? :huh: I'm Mr. Olympic Naive champion. :whistling: When you guys come up from the city I learn things I could not believe. Come to think of it, why do I believe you? :lol:

Bernie, you believe us because we ply you with booze, get yer guard down and then have at it!!!!

Actually, Bernie is the consummate host! He lets us get right silly, watches our face begin to fall off of our skulls, then laughs at us! What else could you ask for! LMAO!

HH

In one episode of 'Cheers', Cliff is seated at the bar describing the Buffalo Theory to his buddy, Norm. I don't think I've ever heard the concept explained any better than this:

'Well you see, Norm, it's like this . . . A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first .. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.'

• 1 month later...

Gin and Tonic when out, paralyzers ( vodka, kahlua, in equal parts, milk and a splash of coke) while home, not to mention single malt scotch or the occational Korona with Lemon...

However in saying that a good dry glass of red wine while a fire is roaring is always so wonderful...

Hope everyone enjoyed the Holiday!

Cheers,

Jen