New Ontario record Moose??

danc

30-06 will do, and is "probobly" the most common riffle used.

A .375 is better, but for even more impact....12 gauge sabot

I was thinking a .50 cal sniper rifle would take it down in one shot, i am still in Aw everytime i look at that pic.

Edited by PatrickG

A lot of meat indeed! I wish i was fortunate enough this year, but not in the cards. Congrats to that guy for a great animal.

To the other post about it walking...sometimes while hunting we only see one animal, and one chance, that could have been his only animal he seen, or had a chance. WHAT LUCK....congrats again to the hunter.

Another popular big game gun for moose is the 7mm...awsome gun for shooting through clear cuts.

To the other post about it walking...sometimes while hunting we only see one animal, and one chance, that could have been his only animal he seen, or had a chance. WHAT LUCK....congrats again to the hunter.

Doesn't that reflect on the unique nature of this beauty? Personally, I'd only need a pic. You know, like take only pictures, leave only footprints?

Congrats to the hunter. I guess thats the nature of the game. I've harvested fish, so I can't say hunting is wrong. Just not my cup of tea.

i hate to be a nancy, but thats a beautiful animal and IMO a shame that it was killed for sport.

Your thinking about it all wrong...I understand maybe it's not in you to pull the trigger, and thats fair.

But there is no shame in this at all.

That moose was Not "killed FOR sport"

It was Harvested for Food...and the proccess happens to be sporting

Many of us simply enjoy being a part of the whole proccess, from the start to the finish.

Its mearly 2 steps further then visiting the Market and choosing a steak.

If it was just a Kill for sport, we'd take some pics, maybe the rack or head as a trohpy, and leave the rest....

But thats not the case at all.

Beautifull animal for sure, but he's also part of the food chain that we run.

No harm no foul here to speak of...it was harvested the same as a Cow, or Chicken, but in this case the hunter chose to take part in the kill, and for his efforts has gained a lot of meat for his freinds and family.

Personaly I'd rather feed my Children that Moose meat then the Drug infested Beef we get in the markets any day.

I'm not lashing you or anything, just pointing out that there is no "Shame" in Hunting.

Cheers ;)

Edited by Cookslav

Your thinking about it all wrong...I understand maybe it's not in you to pull the trigger, and thats fair.

But there is no shame in this at all.

That moose was Not "killed FOR sport"

It was Harvested for Food...and the proccess happens to be sporting

Many of us simply enjoy being a part of the whole proccess, from the start to the finish.

Its mearly 2 steps further then visiting the Market and choosing a steak.

If it was just a Kill for sport, we'd take some pics, maybe the rack or head as a trohpy, and leave the rest....

But thats not the case at all.

Beautifull animal for sure, but he's also part of the food chain that we run.

No harm no foul here to speak of...it was harvested the same as a Cow, or Chicken, but in this case the hunter chose to take part in the kill, and for his efforts has gained a lot of meat for his freinds and family.

Personaly I'd rather feed my Children that Moose meat then the Drug infested Beef we get in the markets any day.

I'm not lashing you or anything, just pointing out that there is no "Shame" in Hunting.

Cheers ;)

:clapping: couldn't have said it better :clapping:

Edited by rickster

There was a story by Gord Ellis about the Moose in our local paper yesterday. The paper has been disposed of now and there's no link to the story on the papers web site. Here's a few things that I recall to the best of my recollection.

Fred Hilliard had been hunting the same area west of Thunder Bay with the same 6 friends for about 20 years now. It's a prime area with a large cut and some old growth forest. These guys have seen some large animals in the past but they pass on them preferring the younger, better eating animals. When Fred saw this Moose, he knew it was a bull, but couldn't get a good look at the massive size of the animal. I'm not sure of the distance, but he shot it, waited 20 minutes and then headed towards the area of the shot. He knew that the animal was down. As he approached the area, the Moose got up (or was up already) so Fred finished the job with another shot. His partners, having heard the shot, soon arrived at the site of the kill. Apparently Fred apologized to them because it was not their policy to shoot such a large animal. It took two ATV's to drag the animal out of the bush. The rest is history.

Again, this is my best recollection of the article. There may be some slight inaccuracies.

Original article by Gord Ellis.