Bay of Quinte report - Nov 7

ctranter

Hey guys, Im a long time reader of these boards but first time poster =)

We decided to head out to bay of quinte to try for some walleye and enjoy the beautiful weather. We got out there early and started trolling pretty early but unfortunately didn't get any love from the walleye all day. I caught my first sheepshead, which was cool for me since I've previously fished Parry Sound smallies almost exclusively.

quinte_sheepshead.nov8.JPG

So even though we didnt manage to pull out any nice eyes, I had a great time wishin Bay of Quinte for the first time and snagged what Im told is a pretty nice sized sheepshead.

My question to you guys: Are sheephead good to eat? I am somewhat concerned about eating it since it was caught in lake ontario waters, but I figured quinte is far enough from the large industries that the water is cleaner.

Hate to tell you this but most prime species of table fish at the restaurant are bottom feeders :lol:

I'm sure the sheepie gave a nice fight.

Would you eat one? and i never seen it on a restaurant menu, I would prefer walleye, trout, and Atlantic's for good table fair.

Edited by PatrickG

Would you eat one? and i never seen one on a restaurant menu, I would prefer walleye, trout and Atlantic's for good table fair.

I've eaten sheepies from the smoker and in good old fashioned "fish-head soup". That was what was put on the table, and that was what you were going to eat.

As for edible bottom feeders, there is cod, halibut, haddock, sole, catfish.. You could even put perch in that category at times.

Welcome aboard-as you can see I'm quite new here too.

I've been fishing Quinte for awhile and it seems every walleye opener either myself or my buddy who's been fishing with me for 25 years have the same conversation when we catch our first sheephead of the year.

"Ever eat one of those?"

"Nope."

"So and So down at the legion say they're good to eat and very tasty."

"One of us should keep one and try it."

"Yea we'll have to do that-not this one though-too big(small could replace big,so could shiny,dull,pretty,ugly,etc-I suspect you get the picture...lol)."

Anyway,we've never tried them;how about you let us know if the guys at the legion are being truthful and then my buddy and I can have a different conversation. :whistling:

OK! I ate it... and y'know what? It wasn't half bad!

After I cleaned it, my mom prepared it so nicely that it would be impossible to taste bad. As for the meat quality here was my impression:

- Meat was tougher, almost (and despite the cliche pun) tasted like chicken

- I was expecting an insane amount of bones, but surprisingly, there were very few

- It has a somewhat bland natural taste, like most other white meat fish, but it was actually really nice with some spices, lemon and parcely.

Given the chance I assure you I would have eaten a walleye =P But even though this was all our day produced, it wasn't half bad... At least now I can say I did it. This was my first time trolling with runner boards so that was pretty cool as well. Can't wait to get back out there and find some eyes though!

I don't know if anyone here remembers the Real-man in Hamilton. Not going to say his name, is a friend off mine. But he always told me he ate Sheephead and cut the fillets in strips, dropped the strips in boiling salt water as soon as the strips turn white and floated, scope out and put on ice. After chilled he dipped in Shrimp sauce. He called them poor man shrimp.

I've never tried sheephead but some people eat Tilapia, Orange Rufy, I wouldn't feed them to my dog. Give me Haddock or Perch.