Perchin in Welland

bigugli

After being stuck indoors the past couple of days, it felt good to go fishing. Down to the harbour to scoop minnows and then into Welland.

The wind sure made perching difficult. Could not keep my line taught to feel the hits on my bottom rig. Just kept feeding the perch. So picked up my bags and sought out a few spots out of the wind. I finally found a spot and the fish were stacked. Went through a good 40 or more minnows and a dozen worms. The weeds were still pretty thick so I went back to float fishing in 20 ft. of water. Of course some fish would have to be sacrificed to appease my appetite. Besides they wouldn't have survived

DSCN2228.jpg

There were a lot of dinks and a lot of very large rockbass in the mix as well.

Another fine mess o' Perch Mr. Ugli!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Do you always fillet those panfish?... have you ever tried just scaling, gutting, and cutting the heads off and then frying them? That's the way I always do my smaller panfish and I find there's much less waste, takes less time to clean them, and the best part is I get to nibble on the fried tails and fins!!! :P:thumbsup_anim: Fried fins and tails are kinda like potato chips!... once ya start ya can't quit 'til they're all gone!!!!

Another fine mess o' Perch Mr. Ugli!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Do you always fillet those panfish?... have you ever tried just scaling, gutting, and cutting the heads off and then frying them? That's the way I always do my smaller panfish and I find there's much less waste, takes less time to clean them, and the best part is I get to nibble on the fried tails and fins!!! :P:thumbsup_anim: Fried fins and tails are kinda like potato chips!... once ya start ya can't quit 'til they're all gone!!!!

Years back I would cook fish whole and pick out the bones. I then had to have bones removed that were lodged in my throat. Not a pleasant experience doing the scope thingy. I kinda get a bit queasy when I get any bones in my mouth now. So I fillet all my fish.

Years back I would cook fish whole and pick out the bones. I then had to have bones removed that were lodged in my throat. Not a pleasant experience doing the scope thingy. I kinda get a bit queasy when I get any bones in my mouth now. So I fillet all my fish.

You et the bones? :blink: You're not s'posed to do that!... and you're wasting all those beautiful tails and fins! :P

No need to go to the doc to have the bones removed, just post pics here and we can instruct your wife on how to remove them! ;)

I grew up eating the fried smaller fish whole, I guess it's a southern thing though. Whenever you order catfish in the local restaurants down here they ask you if you want fillets or "whole".

Still tryin' to teach Ol' Yeller (she's :canadian: ) how to eat whole fried Crappie and catfish without gettin' a mouthfull of bones, usually have to fillet a couple up for her. She looks at me like I have crawdads crawlin' out of my ears when I eat the tails! :w00t:

Edited by GCD

I remember a few restaurants asking me if I wanted my cats whole or filleted. Every time I've run South I make sure I get a few good feeds of catfish. Especially if it is an 'All You Can Eat' joint.

Like in my post ,I used to fry fish whole, we grew up the same way in that regard. I just find filletting easier for me. That way I don't risk ruining my appetite.

hey Bruce...no prefishing man...cheater :lol: , you really don't need to bring any fish for the cook out..but if you are,let me know....I will be bringing a bunch of walleye to cook up, if you are bringing fish too, I won't take so much out :Gonefishing:

Nice haul of perch there Bigugli. Really nice colour to 'em. The lake i live on is stained a coffee colour from all the clay...looks like a giant Timmies double/double with islands in it...so the perch in have no colour at all, they look pretty sick actually...lol.

Walleye and pike in muddy waters down here get that same washed out, colourless look.