camera tripod suggestions

tinbanger

I generally fish alone and mostly practice catch & release. Or should I say catch, picture and release. A tripod that will raise your camera 4'-5' up will do in almost all cases. This leaves you the option to shoot above the tall grasses/weeds on river banks but to shorten up the height when needed. Also allows you to adjust for uneven ground. The small tripods that only raise 6"-12" require a raised platform to sit on. They are also not that stable on a boat with the smaller base that they have. Clamp on tripods can work on boats.

When fishing alone set up your camera & tripod and take a test picture(digital camera) with you in it. Check to see if you are in the frame the way you want. If yes remember where you were standing/sitting. If not repeat until your happy with the results. After catching a fish is not the time to set up your shot if you plan to release the fish.

Garage sales, second hand stores or pawn shops may have bargains on tripods.

Best Wishes: Rick

how heavy is the camera you plan on putting on the tripod?

you definately get what you pay for & hebry's is a good place to look. the pod i use is in the $250+ range. you may not need one that expensive, but give us a better idea of how you plan on using it.

Edited by Raf

Dave... other option is a 1/4-20 threaded ram mount ball and a universal joiner. I find the open end of the joiner clamps on windshields... door frames etc pretty good.... or you can get a ball for that end too and mount it to the boat somewhere.

Edited by irishfield

I never use a tripod in the boat, just set the camera on the front pedestal seat and shoot toward the back of th boat.

If fishing from shore, I only use a tripod when fishing somewhere with fairly level ground. I fish rip rap from shore sometimes and just find a nice rock to set the camera on.

I use this for general photography - I think it would probably work quite well on a boat actually.

http://blackphotostore.com/english/proddetail.asp?sku=5692

http://giottos.com/VT.htm

It's regular 59.99 by the looks of the blacks site, but I have seen it on sale for ~30 before.

It adjusts in two spots on each leg individually, has bubble levels, and best of all it folds down very compact and is LIGHT.

You may also be able to get away with a small 'pocket' tripod if you get a bit creative.

Good Luck!

B

Edited by Bicephalic

Yeah, I've been just setting it on the edge of the boat a kneeling down for the pic, but you don't need to spend any money really, just get a 2x2 piece of wood 4 or 5 feet shave the bottom to fit one of your seat holes or whatever's available, use plywood or plexiglass to box it in on the top and that's it.

Edited by GbayGiant

I've never used a tripod in a boat. I have a couple of $75.00 tripods for land use. They work just fine. When I'm in a pinch for a quick shot in the boat by myself, I use a bean bag tripod. What's a bean bag tripod you ask? Well, it's simply a bean bag that you rest your camera on and quickly enables you to adjust your camera angle for your shot. Just juggle the beans around until you find the correct angle and you're good to go. Simple. Cheap. Fast. And it works.