My first salmon on downrigger-Bluffers Park

idesign

Today was my first time downrigging.We launched boat around 8:45am from Bluffers park.We went straight to Blue Zone.Within hour we hooked 1 good size salmon.It was nice and silver.It was caught on orange spoon.It was caught from 295FOW and 50ft on downrigger.There was some fish marking but all scattred.We were there till 1:15pm.We tried upto 350FOW but no luck.Near to shore around 10ft deep there were lots of fish marking.But didn't try much there as it was very close to rocks.

The 3rd pic you see has lots of fish marking on fish finder.Is that really fish.pls let me know.thx

I thank you all members who replied.Because of your suggestion's i was able to catch my first salmon on downrigging

Here is picture attched.Enjoy!!

78644596lf5.jpg

fishgr2.jpg

fish1ai9.jpg

New Angler: Good to see things worked out for you. Those "Fish" symbols on your F/F are notorious for being everything and anything but fish. It could be Moby's apendage floating upwards if he was laying on his back. Turn off the Fish ID and then see what it shows. Matter of fact, next time you go out, and just sitting in the boat, jig a lure(spoon) or big jighead directly under the boat with the Fish ID on and see wat happens. Most likely your little fishies will appear on screen.

Hey Hey Hey!!! Very good New Angler!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Great information in the report and real nice pics!!! :clapping:

I wouldn't say all the fish symbols on the sonar were fish, but I'll bet some of them were! I might guess that the fish you were marking closer to shore may be Lakers, they come in shallow for a little while this time of year... have seen some reports of shore caught Lakers recently.

Go get some more next weekend!!! :Gonefishing:

Great report New Angler. I tried for salmon this year hen down south...no luck, but got plenty of rainbows, great fun, but enough about me already....lol....congrats on your first salmon :clapping: I would like to agree with the comment on the 'Fish I.D.' comment by Fisherman. TURN IT OFF. I personally never use it...much prefer to see arches and bait clouds on screen....much more accurate....for example....go over a weed bed with fish ID on and it will tell ya there are thousands of fish there......ya...right!

congrats on the hook up.. You will find the more practice you get the more you will be able to "read" the FF with the fish ID off.

For me I only turn on the FishID when the kids are with me..

Thx for the info.It was my first time using my fish finder so basically i was not completely sure what i was doing.next time i go i will make sure i turn the fish id off.thx

actually those might actually have been real fish..

they stock chinnies and browns at the bluffs as a put and

take fishery and they do return and from what i noticed over the years

they come in later than river fish. time to hit up the rocks =D

thanks for the heads up.

actually those might actually have been real fish..

they stock chinnies and browns at the bluffs as a put and

take fishery and they do return and from what i noticed over the years

they come in later than river fish. time to hit up the rocks =D

thanks for the heads up.

yea

saw lots of people fishing near rocks in the evening.there was lots of fish marking there.i was not sure it was fish or not

Congrats my friend, happy to see you got into one!!!

Take off the fish ID on your finder, I know its nice to see the symbols but it lowers the accuracy of your finder.

using the fish ID, your finder transfers marks into fish symbols. It does the best it can but many times it picks up air bubbles,debris and makes them into fish.

once you figure out your finder it becomes more of a asset with the id off.