Musky Trolling

flipte

Ive recently got into musky fishing but havent caught anything yet. Im fishing Pigeon lake, my question was how fast should i be trolling at? i dont have a spedometer in the boat. the boat is a rental 9.9hp. should i be at idol speed or slightly faster? thanks for any tips!

thanks to all for the responses! ill be out there (North Pigeon Lake ) trying this weekend again! if any one will be up there same time love to stop by on the boat and talk alittle tips. ill be up there sat morning with a couple guys. thanks again!

I have caught most fish trolling at about 3.6 - 4mph. BUt i have caught and trolled for musky at up to 10mph.

at 10mph, I have to creep up to that speed gradually, and let lots of line out with a big huge spinner bait and the rod tip pointed down, otherwise it pops out. I am basically just riding on the edge of the bow wake. ANy faster and I'll be on plane.I try and mix up the speeds. Think about it though how fast would a perch swim past a musky? Likely allot faster than 10mph. Assuming your trying to invoke a feeding frenzy reaction strike. Your gonna need to be burning that spinner bait.

BTW a muskie is known to be able to swim at 30 - 35mph. SInce its apredator this speed is to catch fish, so I would only assume it needs to be able to catch up to something goin damn fast.

Edited by jedimaster

Ive recently got into musky fishing but havent caught anything yet. Im fishing Pigeon lake, my question was how fast should i be trolling at? i dont have a spedometer in the boat. the boat is a rental 9.9hp. should i be at idol speed or slightly faster? thanks for any tips!

If you or your buddies have a portable GPS,you can at least know your speed and use waypoints for trolling structure.You don't need a map just mark spots that look real good to troll over or by as you're moving around and come back on them.

Kerry

I'm surprised to hear how many say "just above idle". Although I don't have a spedometer, I like to really give 'er! I guess that puts me in the 5 -7 mph range? As the water cools I slow down, last week-end I was probably at around 4 mph I'm guessing. Not sure I ever get to "just above idle" other than december 14 on the niagara river

I'm surprised to hear how many say "just above idle". Although I don't have a spedometer, I like to really give 'er! I guess that puts me in the 5 -7 mph range?

I thought the same thing. On a 9.9 i'll go at least 1/3 on the throttle, maybe bit more.

Like to see the rod tip thumping or if i'm trolling a spinnerbait at least feel the blades pulsing.

Good luck on Pigeon, lots of decent muskies and structure there.

ehg

Edited by ehg

Honestly with boats and speed people have two misconceptions....Most people think 50 mph is reallly 70mph, and people think 3mph is 7 mph.

Its funny how that works. I have a gps and I always know exactly my water speed and true speed. I had a guy in my boat a ways back and when I was going 3.6mph he thought we were going 7-10mph. Slow trolling for musky at 3-5mph, really seems like your going pretty fast. I can tell you when your going 7mph+ it take two really strong arms to hold your rod and a Heavy action Musky rod will be all but doubled over if you hold it straight out sideways( I like to hold mine pointing back on about a 45 degree angle. Your drag will have to be ramped up pretty high so you aren't pulling drag, and if your trolling anything other than a musky high speed bait its gonna be jumping out of the water or at the very least ripping through the water sideways. You need spinner baits in excess of 2 - 3 ounces and 10" or longer hardbody baits. You will need lots of line out as well about 50 - 70 yards....

In my 16 foot alluminum with a 30hp yammy 2 storke, I am at well into the throttle, and as I mentioned I need to creep up to that speed otherwise I get on plane and go way too fast.

most of the time if trolling at speeds above 4 mph we've got less than 25' of line out. spinnerbaits - even less. i use a 5 oz model to stay down, you can also clip on a 1-2oz weight to keep the small ones down. body baits are no problem. if they blow out, you need to adjust them so they run true or put 'em on ebay for me because they 'don't run right'. rod holders are a must.

in the fall we'll typically slow down to at or below 4 mph. a lead of 75' is on the long side, typically we're running 50'. obviously depends on the bait, whether we're using wire or braid and how deep we want to put it.

For crankbaits, I like to find that particullar lures sweet-spot.Start slow and creep up untill you get the nastiest vibration,if you go past ,it'll roll or go away.This year we also started slowing down with in-line bucktails with great success.Let out your line and add speed untill it breaks the surface, then back-off a touch.I dont know this has worked so well, but it has.