Fishing with my dad

Cudz

My dad flew in from Edmonton today. I don't get to fish with him very often so it was great. We got out tonight for 2 hours and he beat me 5 fish to 1. He also caught a personal best bass. I really don't mind losing a fish competition to this guy. He is the best.

dadbass.jpg

dadfish2.jpg

Cudz,

I can definetely relate with you bud. For the past twenty years Ive been taking my mom and dad up to Lakair Lodge and fishing with them regularily but in the past two years things have changed. They are now in their early 80's and can no longer cope with the all the travelling and the physical requirements of climbing in and out of boats and such. My dad and I would go out fishing for the whole day and never even now the time had passed until one of us would finally glance at a watch and realize how long we had been out on the water....Man were the girls ever angry when we got back to the cabin.....More worried than anything...

You know,my dad took me out fishin when I was old enough to hold a pole in my hands and as the years went by the rolls slowly reversed and I was the one taking him out fishin and mom as well when heading up north. Heck,my wife Carol and I even had our honeymoon at Lakair and had mom and dad up with us that week....

Special times for sure never to be forgotten.....

Gotta love reports like this. When you can get out with your dad like that, it's pretty special, and times like this it really doesn't matter who 'wins', because you both did!!!

My dad passed away when I was in my mid 20s....during a time when I didn't fish. He was an avid angler in his day....wish I could share a boat with him just one more time.

Nothing beats a day out on the water with your dad, nothing at all.

I was actually thinking of you BillM when I posted this because you always mention that you fish with your dad. My parents are looking to move back here as early as next year and that would be great seeing that we have lived in different countires and provinces for the past 17 years.

Muskiestudd you are right. The roles have reversed and I love taking my dad fishing. Trying to pay him back for all the times he would take me out when I was a kid.

i am going up to West Arm this weekend with him. Can't wait.

Muskiestudd you are right. The roles have reversed and I love taking my dad fishing. Trying to pay him back for all the times he would take me out when I was a kid.

i am going up to West Arm this weekend with him. Can't wait.

You'll be fishin the same waters where I've been takin my folks for years...

Hope you do well !!!

Cheers !!

My Dad has maybe fished 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years all with me and he kicks my ass all the time. And I'm the guide...hmmmm Guess I really am a good guide then. Nice pics beautiful fish. Remember these times because life is way to short I know I treasure mine with my dad on the water.

I never had a dad, but I have an old uncle down in the maritimes who doesn't get to fish any more due to his lack of mobility. Every 2 years he comes and stays in Ontario and i get him and my mom out in the boat and we try to fish waters they knew as kids. He may have to crawl in and out of the boat but wouldn't miss it for the world. We never care what we are catching. We're simply fishing. Doing together what our family has shared a hundred years and more.

Every moment on the water is pure gold on those days. Well share bull and banter, reminesce and tell a number of tall tales. It also gives us time to remember our forebears who we miss so dearly now in our later years. I am ever so thankful for these brief moments in time that we share. Only too soon they too will be a faded memory. I'm sure you all feel the same way as well.