Pay Pal (NF)

Tarzan's Jane

I have used paypal through ebay for a couple years and I am pleased with them. They guarantee purchases and if for some reason the seller reneges or does not deliver the goods, paypal will re-imbourse the full amount to your account. Note that I haven't used paypal for about 18 months therefore read the fine print anyway in case policy changes have been enacted.

no need to worry at all, I have completed over 160 transactions using ebay, both as a seller and buyer with hockey cards. If u desperately need peace of mind, get a credit card with a low limit (200-500 bucks) and attach that to your paypal account. That way if something happened, its only a few buck.

However, I think that is over kill, I never worry about it as it is very secure.

I have used paypal through ebay for a couple years and I am pleased with them. They guarantee purchases and if for some reason the seller reneges or does not deliver the goods, paypal will re-imbourse the full amount to your account. Note that I haven't used paypal for about 18 months therefore read the fine print anyway in case policy changes have been enacted.

What guppy says is very true, however, be very careful if you ever plan on selling on ebay because as guppy clearly stated, ebay(paypal) is very quick to put money back in your account, however, as a seller, DO NOT sell on ebay to people with no or low feedback, because reality is, there are crooks in this world, and all it takes is one dishonest person to ruin it(trust me I learnt this the hard way based on a sale gone bad).

I sold a hockey card ($200) on ebay, I received payment very very quickly, so I shipped promptly, here is where it gets dicey. In my add, I was very very clear that the buyer had two options for shipping. A) 3.00 regular shipping and I would not guarantee arrival. or B) 15.00 for priority shipping and insurance, which at the time in BOLD I recommended it for any cards over 100.00, (Now I wont even ship unless they pay insurance and priority shipping)

Anyhow, apparently he did not get the card, but did opt for the 3.00 not guaranteed shipping. Well, he complained, and paypal immediately took the money out of my account. I am still tryign to get it back, I know I will, but it is a lengthy process. I have all the proof.

Did he get the card??????????????? Only he knows

Lesson learned

1) only sell to people with good feedback

2) take the time to email a few references if need be before completeing the transaction

3) for anythign valuable, do not settle for reg shipping only

Paypal is very secure. Thay are owned by Ebay. You have automatic insurance up to $1000.

We were buying and selling through work ($250,000 annually) without any problems. In fact, an ebay seller stiffed us on a Mig Welder. Beacuase we paid through Paypal, we got re-imbursed.

I avoid using my paypal if i can, heres why.

paypal links directly to your bank account. I dont feel good about that.

It takes a very long time to get money back from paypal if it is owed to you. I have been through the process and it took 7 months to see my 80 bucks again. And there is a no guarantee that you will be re-imbursed.

Paypal fees. Why be charged 3% per transaction when you could just use your credit card.

I only use my paypal account when I am sure of the company that I am buying from, that means that I have used them before. So, why use paypal to buy things over the internet when you can just use your credit card? If the deal goes sour then its a simple matter of a phone call to visa, and a chargeback is initiated. One dispute, rather than two.

I have bought many things over the internet and I have been burned twice. Once was through paypal, the other was with my credit card. Both times I got my money back. In your case, I would say you are pretty safe dealing with the company mentioned, just consider any future transactions with paypal carefully.

use your credit card if you can. Its safer.

Edited by Riparian

As a buyer I have never been charged a fee for a transaction. You also don't have to hook your paypal to your bank account it is only if you want to be a VERIFIED account holder which is optional. I like it because it does not expose your credit card information to the internet or the seller so it is not floating in cyberspace. Since I am stating this from having an account in the USA I am Not sure if Canadians have a separate rule since their is a border between us.

Art

I never get charged 3% for buying. I sold hundreads of items all over the world, got charged 3% (peanuts for a great service), I recived my money in my account within 5 days everytime. I never had anyone hack my account or steal my money in my account. I was even with paypal from the start. I have 4 bank account and 3 credit cards registered with Paypal and never ever had a problem.

Truthfully I hate using a credit card, the bill comes in at the end of the month, you look at it, and say let it ride this month. When it comes out of a bank account the item(s) you bought are paid in full, no worries that you owe money.

Just my 2c

Daniel

Sorry, my mistake. You do not get charged 3% per transaction. Shows how much I use my paypal account.

I pay my visa transactions off the day I make them. I never wait for the bill and I never buy anything if I dont have the funds to transfer from my bank account.

Edited by Riparian

As a buyer I have never been charged a fee for a transaction. You also don't have to hook your paypal to your bank account it is only if you want to be a VERIFIED account holder which is optional. I like it because it does not expose your credit card information to the internet or the seller so it is not floating in cyberspace. Since I am stating this from having an account in the USA I am Not sure if Canadians have a separate rule since their is a border between us.

Art

Im not sure what you mean. If you use your credit card through paypal it is just as much exposed as any other transaction.

According to PayPal accepting their ToS (Terms of Service) in effect means you waive your rights to credit card consumer protection laws if you want to use their service, and that you may not issue a chargeback for unauthorized use of your credit card and PayPal account, or if you do, then they have the right to limit your account.

I never get charged 3% for buying. I sold hundreads of items all over the world, got charged 3% (peanuts for a great service), I recived my money in my account within 5 days everytime. I never had anyone hack my account or steal my money in my account. I was even with paypal from the start. I have 4 bank account and 3 credit cards registered with Paypal and never ever had a problem.

Truthfully I hate using a credit card, the bill comes in at the end of the month, you look at it, and say let it ride this month. When it comes out of a bank account the item(s) you bought are paid in full, no worries that you owe money.

Just my 2c

Daniel

Let it ride is an expensive bet considering you'll never make any money by doing that. At the crazy interest rates credit cards charge, I always pay it in full by the due date. I think they're a great way to pay though because you get to defer your payment (which you can put in a savings account), you only transact once to pay it with your bank account which minimizes your fees, and you often get loyalty rewards like free gas or groceries.

Sorry, my mistake. You do not get charged 3% per transaction. Shows how much I use my paypal account.

I pay my visa transactions off the day I make them. I never wait for the bill and I never buy anything if I dont have the funds to transfer from my bank account.

Good stuff in never carrying a balance, but why not let your money sit in a savings account to earn interest, then pay the card off on the due date? Each transaction you make on the card, put the same amount into a savings account. Pay it by the due date, and the interest you earned is gravy.

Oh yes, I've only used PayPal a few times, but would not hesitate to do it. I actually prefer it to paying direct, all other things being equal. In theory, it should be at least as safe, if not safer than buying with your credit card direct from the vendor. PayPal is a reputable company, and they're the only ones who see your account information. By paying through vendors that are less reputable, you may be exposing yourself to fraud or identity theft.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying you let it ride, I was talking in about the big % that do. I am talking about the 90% of Visa purchasers that say don't use pay pal because they charge you 3%, then these people buy, don't pay thier bills and accumilate 16% instead of 3%.

Personally I have a 2 Accounts on Paypal that are mainly used for selling (credit) and 2 accounts, 1 being for Online purchases, eg. BPS or Cabales, and the other strikley for Ebay. The credit cards are there for the hell of it. My 2 buying accounts, I add money evey 2 months, with a certain amount for each account, I don`t roll over the money, so lets say after 2 moths the accounts have $60, I just add enough to bring me to my max.

Sorry for all the chatting, this is what I learned to do over the years, so I don`t get screwed down the road. Maybe this could be usefull for someone, WHO KNOWS. :blahblah1:

Daniel