My new Boat

Rizzo

Apparently I don't waste time. Just sold my boat 2 nights ago, and bought a new (to me) boat tonight (although the $$$ hasn't changed hands yet). Please give me your honest opinion if you know anything about the boat or motor, and maybe give me an idea what it might be worth. It was kind of an impulse buy so not sure if I got a good deal or not! The boat is a 2001 Princecraft Pro 162 side console and the motor is a 2001 Johnson 50 hp 4 stroke. It looked like it had barely been used, not a scratch on boat or motor. (the guy selling it figured it has been used less than 10 times). There is no trolling motor or bracket but the 12 volt outlet is in place at the front. There is a mooring cover and a lowrance fish finder. Only one battery and it is 2001 so needs replacing sooner rather than later I'd imagine. Comes with Princecraft Trailer. Any thoughts on this boat?

is it the same boat that i keep seeing on Kijiji?

if so the boat looks supper clean and i would say yes you got a good deal depending on what your spending on it.

In the end your going to upgrade it and make it your own boat.

What do you think your going to have to spend to get it the way you want it?

Hey Rizzo

Nice boat but maybe a tad under-powered with a 50. My only thought on the princecraft boats is the way they set up the side gunnel areas. They take up so much space with the 4" ledge around the boat it cuts down on workable space inside the boat. I fished out of one up on Temagami and found the 162 a little cramped for me especially with another guy my size (a stout 5'9"). At the same time there was a Crestliner 1600 at ther camp and the amount of usable sapce inside it was so much more.

If you'll be having one or more guests out on the water it gets a little tight especially if you prefer to take a biot of gear and do more casting. Just my 2 cents

I've got a 2002 162 side console with a 40hp Johnson 4 stroke. Good boat, great on gas, not the best in rough water, overall very happy with it. I paid 13500 new, it was last years model still new on lot so price was marked down a bit. And like Fang said, could be a little wider inside, hard to get around when the 2 seats are side by side. Good for fishing with 2 people in boat, 3 would be crowded.

Edited by cpguy29

didn't know there was one on Kijiji. Found this one in boat trader, but it was a private sale. I guess what I need to do is buy a spare ($100?), 2 batteries (250?), bowmount release plate (100?) bowmount minn kota (650?)...so I guess another 1000 bucks or so. Maybe should find the kijiji one and see how much they are asking!

It might be a good boat.

It might be a bad boat.

It might be a good trailer.

It might be a bad trailer.

It might be too small for the type of fishing you do.

It might run too deep for the fishing you do.

It might be a good fishfinder

It might not be a good fishfinder

Did anyone read this far?

Hey Fang,

I know what you mean. It didn't look as spacious as some of the other 16 footers I've seen, but I was kind of looking for something not so big and bulky...kind of a gentle step up from my 14 footer rather than an entirely different kind of boat.

It does look more like a shallow water boat, so we'll have to see how it handles rougher water. Having said that, the roughest I get is the upper niagara and balsam on a windy day.

Quick search on Toronto Kijji

Crestliner Tourney 182

not a bad deal at all

I'd buy this one just for the paint job

1990 crestliner

I own a crestliner so I'll admit my opinion is jaded but the 1600 series is one of the nicest side console boat layouts going without breaking the bank. Also really like the G3's I've seen

Edited by Fang

Quick search on Toronto Kijji

Crestliner Tourney 182

not a bad deal at all

I'd buy this one just for the paint job

1990 crestliner

I own a crestliner so I'll admit my opinion is jaded but the 1600 series is one of the nicest side console boat layouts going without breaking the bank. Also really like the G3's I've seen

I like that crestliner the paint job is sweet looking.

the price is not bad as well

7074807_jpg.jpg

Rizzo is that boat your going to look at?

7188386_jpg.jpg

161 aluminum fishing boat, 40 hp 2001 merc motor, side console, minkota trolling motor, live well, aerator, dual batteries, solid floors, runs great, $9800. (905)331-0288, Burlington.

Take a look at this one not bad a little bit under powerd but still a nice boat

7150655_jpg.jpg

2002 Mercury 60hp 2 stroke, purchased in 2006 little use, color fish finder,trolling motor,trailering cover, clarion Marine CD nice fishing pkg, includes matching trailer $7500 OBO. (705)523-2294,(705) 966-3165 Sudbury

This one is not bad for the money

Edited by AILE GOBY

Nice investigative work Mr Goby! The top one is the boat. I also have seen the ads for the other 2 boats you posted, but i believe both are 2 stroke motors. I've never had a 4 stroke so wanted to go that way this time. If the smokercraft is a 4 stroke that might have been a better deal. The fact they don't mention it leads me to believe its a 2 stroke. Long drive to go have a look at it too is the problem I was having with lots of boats

I always send them a email and i always get a message back the next day.

Best way or just give them a call.

I myself am on the hunt for a new boat since i no longer have mine.

Long story short people have sticky fingers. :angry:

I've got a 2002 162 side console with a 40hp Johnson 4 stroke. Good boat, great on gas, not the best in rough water, overall very happy with it. I paid 13500 new, it was last years model still new on lot so price was marked down a bit. And like Fang said, could be a little wider inside, hard to get around when the 2 seats are side by side. Good for fishing with 2 people in boat, 3 would be crowded.

I can vouch for this. Great time fishing in it tho. Caught my first LMB and Perch in that boat.

I always send them a email and i always get a message back the next day.

Best way or just give them a call.

I myself am on the hunt for a new boat since i no longer have mine.

Long story short people have sticky fingers. :angry:

Are you serious???? hope you got insurance... :angry:

Yes very serious it happend 9 days ago up at the cottage.

I know that boat has to be long gone by now.

Cops told me to sit tight they will keep there eyes open for it but i stand a 30% chance of getting it back. :(

Rizzo let us know how the new boat turns out.

Take lots of pics i want to see how clean this thing is

Riz.what ever you buy,Im sure you and the young,ns will have a good time with it.

One thing I dont like about the princecraft consol,it is to far up front.IMO

looks good depending on the price, there is a 2006 g3 in the trader also that is a long drive , but you could get an ofner to look at it for you then take the drive.

Where is this boat?

Paul,I like that camo one. I will be doing some info research on this one.

Thanks for the link.