floater suit

modny

hey all,

i'm thinking of getting a floater suit for late fall winter and spring fishing on those cold days.

i've been looking at those helly hansen alpha's

i want something orange for visibility preferrably.

i think 1 piece suit is the way to go over a 2 piece, as far as warmth and safety..

but i'm open to suggestions

thanks

I used a 1 piece Mustang suit when I was out on the water with the MNR during their muskie rehabilitation program.. Super warm and not to restricting..

I'll most likely be picking up one of those before the cold weather hits.

http://www.salusmarine.com/pdfs/Coats%20&a...uits%202008.pdf

in my opinion The Salus Marine Odessy is the best bang for the buck

I have personnally battle tested this rig in the water on the ice and everything in between

its breathable adjustable tough as nails and pre bent where it should be the suit is heavy and very bouyant once you have it on with the internal harness you wont even know you are carrying it

and besides over the life span of the suit is your life worth 100 dollars a year mine sure as hell is

just my 2 cents

Peter :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I have the Mustang, great suit, I'd buy another.

The only thing I'd change is what Peter alluded to, some type of internal harness/suspender system. Casting all day with it on gets hard on the back.

I have a Mustang that I bought last year and just love. Yup, it was more expensive than my old Bouy O Bouy but, man, you really get what you pay for. The Mustang has better features that you can notice right away like an insulated hood instead of just a nylon cap. The Mustang also is more supple and not as stiff, making if far more comfortable. And without a doubt I can endure colder temps with it than I could with my old suit.

It was about $400 I believe when I bought it but I do a lot of fishing throughout the winter so for me it's well worth it. And yes, I opted for the better insulating values of a 1-piece.

My advice would be that if you do plan on doing a lot of fishing in the winter months, buy the best suit you can afford.

IMHO

yea

i'm gonna check out that alpha helly hansen one...

i have really good winter jackets and pants, but that crap dont float!

those salus suits are super nice!

they really offer alot of different models

which ones should i be looking at though? especially for winter time

Edited by Micropterus hole

I know you noted orange...I have a Mustang floater, but mine is camo, a note about the camo however is it is not Coast Guard approved, the reason being is the colour, so I just throw a lifejcket in the boat with me in the winter. Nothing really different about it at all as the orange Mustang floaters. Great for a wetproof,windproof winter coat over a good layer of clothes, and gives you some added confidence on the water in cold xwater conditions :Gonefishing:

I bought a Helly Delta for my wife but it fit a little big so I kept it for myself ;)

DSC00779.jpg

I don't regret buying it because I very seldom use it and think of it being "better than nothing". For my level of usage it's ideal but if I was requiring a float suit more than once or twice a year I'd opt for something of better quality, fit and function.

It's impossible to argue with Peter's point of view of 'what is your life worth to you?' so I have to limit my risks through frequancy and timing.

I don't fish frigid softwater very often and never alone.

I don't fish early or late hardwater.

I don't go out in rough seas.

I don't fish fast water.

And I certainly don't get calls on a cold winter night to go out and rescue someone on the water. I'll leave that to those with a bigger set of cannonballs than I have! ;)

-Brian

'Mustang Arctic-Edition' one-peice all the way!!!! I spent well over 100 hours on the ice last year with just my suit, and a bucket. Several of those days were in the -30's. Untill the end of the year I would walk out to my spots (sometimes with snowshoes) and all I would do is undo the zipper to let your body heat escape. This is quite possibly the best peice of fishing related equipment (next to the Lund :thumbsup_anim: ) that I have ever bought. I was out with guys dressed in many layers with Toughduck bibs and jackets on and I was much more comfortable than they were.

I must say though that next to the suit you REALLY need a matching pair of boots that will keep your feet toasty all day even if you are sweating. If your feet get cold your screwed! I bought a pair of 'Baffin Titans' rated to minus 100 and they rock!!! Comfy, warm and waterproof.

As a side note my buddy has a Hanson and wishes he would have forked out the difference to get the Mustang.

Hope this helps.