Lead ban

misfish

Am not positive but i think lead bans apply to sinkers, not lures. Loons ingest split shot but not likely to ingest spinner baits etc.

Not just loons, but waterfowl in general. Ducks and geese ingest small pebbles to help with digestion. Small split shot just happen to be about the right size.

Yes, waterfowl ingest small pebbles to aid in digestion(no teeth), but I don't think they're ramming 1/8 and 1/4 oz split shot down their throat. Then again, unless you're fishing in a foot or two of water and lose some split shot, maybe it's a good story. I haven't seen any fowl with scuba tanks and masks going diving for lead lately. One of those flawed "government studies" finally admitted the death rate caused by ingestion was a lot lower than previously reported.

I once saw a loon come up with a minnow off bottom (on a fishing line) in almost 20' of water ...the Loon escaped unharmed... but you'd be surprised how deep they dive.

And I believe the issue is that dead birds keep showing up with lead shot in their belly and signs that lead poisoning was the cause of death ... thats the kind of thing that gets everyone upset.

Edited by camillj

Yes, waterfowl ingest small pebbles to aid in digestion(no teeth), but I don't think they're ramming 1/8 and 1/4 oz split shot down their throat. Then again, unless you're fishing in a foot or two of water and lose some split shot, maybe it's a good story. I haven't seen any fowl with scuba tanks and masks going diving for lead lately. One of those flawed "government studies" finally admitted the death rate caused by ingestion was a lot lower than previously reported.

I have no idea about the toxicity of lead, but many birds (like loons) dive quite deep.