Gull Lake report

cpguy29

Hooked up with Johnnybass on Friday to do some fishing. I wanted to try out Gull lake near Norland On. Got up to the launch and Johnnybass sprained his ankle while getting down from the boat. Ouch! It swelled up pretty bad but he was able to put some ice on it and continue fishing.

100_0550.jpg

It was a nice lake with some nice scenary...

100_0553.jpg

100_0554.jpg

Tried around some islands hoping to get some smallies. Tried tubes and topwater....nothing. Fish finder was lit up like a Christmas tree.

Move into a more shallow, weedy section of the lake. Tossed a senko to some old concrete peirs in the water and pulled out this fish...

100_0543.jpg

Couple minutes later this guy hit...

100_0545.jpg

Decided to try fishing some docks. Fish were either right under the docks or swimming between them...

100_0551.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0557.jpg

Fishing was a bit slow but some nice fish were caught. Couldn`t get a decent bite from the smallies, but the lake seems to have potential.

Guest Johnny Bass

Its healing fine. My friends insisted I go to the hospital and check it out.Went to the hospital on Sunday and its not broken. Its a torn ligament. Its still swollen and black and blue but hardly no pain.

I was fixing something on the boat and then jumped off the boat backwards and the ground was uneven. My ankle buckled under my weight and I fell to the ground and I was in serious pain!!! I told Jeff it may be broken. I couldn't move it....Lucky the night before I had bought some ice for my thermostat only to see it melted over night. So that morning I grabbed another bag of ice. And filled up my Thermostat. I had a lot of ice leftover. Was going to just leave it on the road, but something told me to put it in the Live well.(good move).

As soon as I hit the ground. It swelled up big time. The picture you see is after I iced it for over an hour...

I iced if for about 15 minutes. Jeff was anxious to go fishing and asked if I could fish sitting down. I said ok. Couldn't walk on it and had a hard time launching the boat on one foot and hoping to the boat from the parking lot......

Got in the boat. And luckily I have pain killers on my boat for emergencies.....Took one. Tried to fish and work the trolling motor, but the pain was really bad. I figured I was just aggravating it, so told Jeff to take the helm. I sat down and I iced it for atleast another hour and took another pain killer. By around 11:00 I was able to stand up, but used my knees to get up on the platform. Didn't want to aggravate it. Then I tried to fix my reel that broke the day before with no luck.Killed another hour.

We seen this guy so we decide to follow him. Jeff was at the helm and he actually cut across the shoreline the guy was fishing and caught 2 fish right in front of him. :rolleyes:

Then he caught a 3'rd one before I even started fishing. I started actually fishing by about noon.

Now my plan was to fish the entire shoreline of the lake all the way back to the launch and see what we can come up with. But cpguy insisted we cut across the lake and go south to a spot he said he seen on a fishing episode.

We got there and it looked promising. Lots of fallen wood. Started nailing some small fish. I nailed a few fish on the jig and pig which was pretty much the highlight of the day for me.

Then I said, I have to rest my foot and I went to sit down. We started to drift away from the shoreline and then Jeff hooks a nice largie on a jig and pig.

Then I tried some top water for smallies and was getting hits but no hook ups. Then I finally hit that last largie on a pop-r. And a few rockbass too.

We found out there was a good spot on the north end of the river, but since we drove to the north end, and then cut back down to the south end, wasn't sure if we had enough gas to make the trip back so we stuck around south.

Jeff wanted to stay for the evening bite but my foot was starting to hurt, so we decided to call it a day. Over all the lake has potential. We seen a lot of big fish on the sonar, but it was hard to catch them. since it was really windy and we were drifting too fast. It should be a decent fall lake.