Newbie saying HI

yo_guy

Newbie here, I finally took the plunge and joined this site after hearing a lot of good things about it and hopefully meets some new friends to share a few stories with.

Let me give you a little recap of my recent outting based on what I reported on another forum that I used to go on. Hope you enjoy it!

June 28 Delay Bass Opener Report Rice Lake

Now that my fingers are finally healed enough (I’ll explain later) I can finally type my fishing report from last weekend. After a month of absence from doing fund raising activities and what not I was looking forward to doing some fishing this weekend. It was 12:00am Saturday morning at home checking the forecast asking myself why does the weather have to be so nasty on bass opener. Normally, I don’t do openers as it doesn’t excite me because that’s easy fishing. Real fishing comes later in the season when the bass hide in the deeper waters or in the thick stuff where nobody would touch. This year the thought of staying home and doing house work was simply not on the priority list as many people I know were all talking about bass opener so that got me excited.

At 12:45am I get a knock on my door and my bro said yo_guy let’s go fishing Saturday morning and screw the thunderstorm we are men. Yo bro, are you crazy? No way, just fish_crazy. Alright then, let’s do it so it’s going to be the four of us right? Nope, the third person has things to do. Alright then!

Woke up Saturday morning had a late breakfast as we figured all the EASY fish were already pounded so we did some stuff around the house. We arrived at Rice Lake about 11:00am launched the boat at Captain’s Marina off of Bewdley. The fishing was slow the weather was nasty with 20kms winds with rain and clouds dampening the action and to make the matter worst I missed a fish and got my line tangled to my rod as I was untangling my line the trolling motor got caught to my line and literally cut two off my fingers as they were wrapped with 50lbs Powerpro Braid. One finger was so bad it looks like somebody got a fillet knife and carved around it with blood pooring out like from one of the scenes of Kill Bill Volume 1 and the other one was just cut on one side and bleeding not pooring. Just imagine 110 pounds of thrust pulling your fingers with 50lbs Powerpro wrapped around it. The thought of loosing my fingers or having my fingers with no skin at all as in peeled with only the bone exposed was on my mind and thank god neither one happened because I’m not even sure which one would be worst. I was going to take pictures of my wound but decided not too but I’m sure you all get the idea of what I’m talking about. Also, I want to say thanks to Buddha for hooking me up with that awesome first aid kit as the regular band-aid just wasn’t up for the task and damn was that Muskie ever big that you landed now I know why you have a first aid kit like that it was like going to the hospital!

So back to fishing wounded, sore and bleeding yet determined to catch that bass that got away we worked the weeds at Bewdley from South to North throwing flippin jigs, top water and plain jigs just outside the weed line and nothing as the water was choppy, then we were off to Jubilee Point we tried the same lures plus spinner baits and got 2 small guys, and a few 3 lbs largemouth, next we were on route to Gores Landing where we saw a floating log about 4ft long by 10” diameter that we nearly hit so we turned around and pick that thing up because it can do a number of damages if somebody hits it at high speeds. When we got there we worked the shoreline flipping jigs and tubes and got a couple little smallies and one lunker including three small catfish, then we went to Harwood and found some good underwater structure in about 8 fow and toss some tubes and managed a 2.5 lbs Smallmouth, 2 lbs Smallmouth, then I switched to a 5” purple lizard texas rigged with ½ oz bullet sinker and pulled a 3 lbs Largemouth, and a 4lbs Largemouth so finally we are in business as we have the pattern figured out but of course all good things come to an end as the action died down as the winds picked up again and rain some more. We toughed it out and tossed out some gulp minnow with ¼ oz jig head and got a few more small smallmouth bass, and another small catfish plus one 8” crappie then we went to one of the smaller islands and threw some top water and managed a few more small guys and a decent sizer largemouth. We were wet and cold and decided to work our way back to Bewdley and tossed a ½ oz bullet head with a texas lizard and managed to pull up another lunker for the day. By now it was getting late so we called it a day plus my bandage was bleeding through and dirty of course.

It wasn’t an easy day of fishing that’s for sure considering how much driving we did for the few fish we caught. One thing I learned that day is when you get a tangle pull up all the slack line than worry about the knot later or possibly risk losing your fingers.

rice2.JPG

rice6.JPG

rice4.JPG

Edited by yo_guy

Tuesday July 1st

We headed to Niagara about 10:00am with Peter, Joshua and Steven. Got to the launch fished the river the action was okay as we got steady Smallmouth Bass action ranging from 1-2 lbs. After a while it got boring and Joshua managed to hook up into something that was putting up a decent fight judging by how his rod was bending. It turns out to be a lunker but without a scale it was very close or infact weights about 4 lbs but none the less a nice fish. We saw a few carps swimming around as it was strange to see them considering how strong the current was. By noon time the action completely died down and the wind started to pick up and controlling the boat now was very difficult. After a lunch break we relaunched the boat where we found some grass with nice sand bottom and fished around looking for structures such as humps and more grass patches. We were fishing anywhere between 10 fow to 20 fow. We pulled a few lunkers using the good old texas rig with purple lizard using a ½ oz bullet head, grey tubes (not brown, white, etc..) and jerk baits such as the X-Raps in clown pattern and natural colours was the ticket when the fish were active.

Fishing this water system was a new experience for me and let me tell you something this is where you separate the men from the boys after fishing lakes in the kawartha. Don’t get me wrong not trying to knock the kawartha lakes it’s so different in many ways that you would have to experience it yourself to understand.

niagara2.jpg

niagara4.jpg

niagara5.jpg

niagara6.jpg

July 05 Tough Fishing Pigeon Lake

What can I say the weather was great and not a cloud in site but the fishing definately was not as co-operative as we thought it would. Two bad you can't have everything your way right?

Did the traditional artificial lures got some some fish but no sizers. Than all action died to a halt as it got hotter and hotter. Asked a round and everybody said it was slow... so we figured let's use the live bait now as we were going to use it later as a backup plan but with this heat I wasn't even sure how long we or our bait would last.

So we went off to one of my spots where it transitioned from 10 fow to 15 fow to try our luck we figured the big fish would be in the deep water just outside the weeds. Got setup and rigged our line, cast it out and let it bounce of the bottom as we drifted slowly using the drift sock.

pigeoneye.jpg

pigeonbass.jpg

Welcome aboard Yo_Guy. You got some nice fish there, thanks for the report and introduction. Sorry to hear of your run in with the braid. It only takes a fraction of a second to really do some damage with braided lines. It's bad enough hanging onto braid with a tough snag but with an electric or gas motor prop winching the stuff, it becomes a buzz-saw.

Thanks again for sharing.

July 14 Balsam

The weather was crap, according to the weatherman it was suppose to be 10km winds while it ended up being roughly 30kms winds if not greater. The bite was slow to a hault around 1:00pm is when we finally got a few eyes ranging from 18" to 20" and one smallmouth bass about 2.5 lbs. An hour later I got a muskie in the lilly pads while trying to target bass and that was basically our day as if it wasn’t very productive due to the weather or course. .

balsamski.jpg

Edited by yo_guy

buckhorneye.jpgYo_Guy with Fishcrazy Junior July18 Upper Buckhorn Lake

The weather once again was not the greatest as the thunderstorms roamed the skies on route to dampen our trip but we were not going home without a fight hoping the storm would pass. After a bit of rain and dark clouds the winds finally shifted and the weather stabilized momentarily as we fished eagerly waiting for something to bite as the action was slow to a hault. Not long after the winds picked up again and rain some more but to our amazed the fish started to bite as we all caught a bunch of walleyes between 19”-21” plus the odd dinks using chartreuse grubs with 3/8 oz jigheads. Once the bite stopped we tried our luck for some bass action tossing spinnerbaits and texas rigged lizard and managed a few Largemouth Bass between 1-2 lbs nothing spectacular.

By now we were wet and cold and wanted to go home so we worked our way back and managed to hook this beast on an inline spinner made from Bluefox size #4 with the weird colours on it. At first I thought it was a bass judging by the way how it was fighting as it got closer it did a roll and sure enough it was a walleye and a long one infact. Here’s a picture of it. Don’t ask me where we were we go where Captain Fishcrazy wants to go. After we do a loop on the lake everything looks the same but one thing for certain we were fishing about 5 fow to 8 fow as the fish hung around the shallows due to the dark skies.

I normally don’t do report as I don’t have time and my computer is slow but if I’m a good mood maybe I’ll type something up with a picture for proof. Hope you guys like it!

buckhorneye2.JPG

Edited by yo_guy

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent report(s)! Very well written with some nice pics!!! The eye is a beauty. Not a scratch on her!Looking forward to your next report. Thanks for sharing.

I've been very fortunate to have so many friends to go fishing with and can't thank them enough for the wealth of knowledge that I have learned and experienced over the many years of fishing.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys... This is a great website!!!

Here are a few more random yo pics for you to enjoy.

coho.jpg

ice_fishing.jpg

whitefish.jpg

steelhead.jpg

Edited by yo_guy