Countdown To Cuba!

tonyb

Well I have 2 more sleeps until headed for the turqoise waters and warm breezes of Varadero, Cuba. In addition to the R&R my brother in-law is getting married there so it should be a great trip

I have amassed a bunch of tackle to take with me. Everything from bottom fishing jigs and live bait rigs to slip floats, circle hooks, saltwater gulp, spoons, cranks, spinners and some notable lures that I'm hoping will tag me something big. Check these out:

18" Williamson Live Ribbonfish

live_ribbonfish.jpg

Rapala Sliver - The blueish one mimics a needlefish perfectly (I've got the top 3 colours)

Sliver%20Color.jpg

This silly looking thing is supposed to work well on 'Cuda's...we'll see.

i312438sn01.jpg

I hope to have a full fishing report when I return

I am pretty pumped considering the hardwater season is toast right now.

Later,

Tony

rayfish2005, we are staying at Sandals Royal Hicacos. They include FREE diving for their guests. Since I am PADI certified I think I will heed your advice. Find out where the fish are underwater then go catch 'em!

I am bringing my snorkelling gear too, so I can get out with the group :)

This is my 2nd time to Cuba, it is unlike any other Carribbean destination, I love it there.

Tony

"So Tony takes Amanda to Cuba and for that he is allowed to take her to Lakair" Tony, you are always thinking! hehe. Have a great trip to Cuba, and take lots of pics. I don't know how you can top the last saltwater trip with that blue marlin.. but I'm sure you will try!

Wish we could have joined you. Congrats in advance to Matt and Jen!

Cheers,

Aaron

Hey TONY...TAKE SOME OLD LURES OR CHEAP ONES FOR THE LOCALS.......

you will be very surprized on the reaction---you will be a hero over there...hey you might even get a real home made cigar for the wedding....take a taxi right down to the end where the marina is---some good fishing there and any inland channels early morning...watch out for the females with hairy legs--infact some had more hair on their legs then my whole body...lol. I took a video and one of the locals asked if I liked it and I said not really---that I would need my gps --just to get out....oh yea..when you go back home and go through customs...the agent might ask you for your watch//maybe loose change---say that its you grandmothers and can't part with it---just say no...have a great time and take the yellow bug to town cheers bob

goto the dollar store and purchase a bunch or tooth brushes and other essential toiletries

They are highly regarded by the cuban locals (They use them to trade on the black market as cash is no good there) and will get you more then your share of "comps" hell they may even invite to their house for supper (Been there done that) it was awesome!

Gerritt.

Good stuff Simcoebob, I have a bunch of stuff I plan on giving away. Sandals, hats, mini hotel toiletries that I saved up over the year, fishing line, my old polarized sunglasses, tons of candies for the kids from costco, fishing hooks and sinkers and some old spoons, etc.

I was there before and they really don't have access to all the commodities that we do so we try to do what we can.

I've got some fishing spots in mind thanks to google earth ;)

Can this day go any slower?

Tony

last time I was down I took a 150 piece Maxium sockect set wit me brand new kinda used it as a batereing tool for fishing I thought the guy was gonna fall off the side of the boat when I gave it to him well worth it this guy would dive 20 feet to get bottomed lures also at the end I gave hime a goeilla stick and a corsair levelwind he thought that was very cool also

Word of warning

ipacked my rods and reels in a gun case

lets just say upon arrival guys in plain clothes were very intrested in the contents of the case and my alcohol induced excitability caused them some concern

It all worked out though

Have fun man let me know how it was will be going to the same place as you (won a trip there)

so you make a good guinea pig for fishing spots Im intrested in tarpoon locations

Sweetness, i went with my family to Cuba a few years ago, we weren't really there for the fishing however, mostly just there to take on the stereotypical tourist role but; when we went over to a town for a day to meet the locals, one guy let me take a few casts with his rod off his dock, and I hooked some huge fish... which preceed to fight off and swim away. Hope you have better luck than I did haha

I Like where I am right now, but I'd rather be in Cuba. Have a super trip! Oh, and take some packages of chicoletts (sp) with you, the kids love them! Enjoy!

I Like where I am right now, but I'd rather be in Cuba. Have a super trip! Oh, and take some packages of chicoletts (sp) with you, the kids love them! Enjoy!

Have a great time Tony.

Take lots of pictures.

I hope you get into some fishing while you're there.

and let's not forget the most important thing.

This was a nice move to solidify your position on the Lakeair trip. ;):D

Have fun! Right off the beach in Varedero I caught many fish, simply by casting out calamari off the bottom. I brought a seven foot spinning combo with ten pound test, some hooks and bell sinkers. The locals called these Kohanoa. They fought way beyond their size. I ended up giving many of these fish to the locals, and ended up with some rum in return. Have a great time.

DCP_4370.JPG

Hey Tony...here's a link from trip advisor...I found that when I went with my wife to Mexico it was really great to read all the unbiased opinion's and advice on our vacation hot spot.....enjoy your trip~! :thumbsup_anim:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1...Beach_Cuba.html

Edited by Benthook