Power Pro Braided?

Angler16

Hey everyone,hows it goin?hope you all are well. Just a quick question for ye.My dad just picked up some Power Pro Braided 20lb line has anyone used this brand if so how is it , hows the memory on it and does it cast farther than other lines like Stren?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

-Little Angler

Lay a slight bed of mono on the spool then tie the braid to the mono with a uni to uni knot and finish spooling up the braid.

PowerPro is good stuff. Should cast farther than mono and has no memory.

Use a palomar knot when tying lures and snaps to that line.

I like the stuff for much of the fishing I do. Good and sensitive for detecting the light bite eyes and super responsive to easy hooksets for big toothy pike.

I ran 50lb Power Pro on my musky rig last year and it never broke (fish up to 47"). Just remember that you have to use the palomar knot because knots pull out really easy with this line. Even if a clinch knot feels tight and you give it a good tug, it will probably slip on any hookset.

Ive seen to many instances where 80 and 100 lbs power pro go snap

I wont even allow anyone to use it in my boat

After watching my baits go bye bye just from casting,god forbid a fish ever broke off

It does not do well under sudden impact

Ive used Gorilla braid,whiplash and all now called Spider wire stealth,minimum 65 and 80 for 15 years or so,no problems

I dont even retie for a week or 2 at times

just my observations

Never had problems but use a flurocarbon leader.Checks your knot

Braid Knot

Braid Knot

Best if used with new braided line.

1) Run double loop through eye at hook or lure.

2) Loop around end of line and standing part of braided line 8 times. Thread double loop back between the eye and coils.

3) Tighten knot with a steady even motion without hesitation. Trim double loop and end of braided line leaving about 1/4".

Braid Knot

I like Power Pro a lot. This year I am using the red ten pound on my spinning reels for Senko worms, it is very easy to see against the water with my sunglasses. I use green 30 pound on my baitcasters, but might go up to 50 pound for a couple of rods. My Musky reels had 80 pound and I never broke it once...maybe Mark had a bad spool. I don't use flouro leaders the fish don't mine the line as long as the bait acts naturally...in my opinion.

I have used almost every braid on the market at one time or another. No Spectra line likes a sudden snap and I have had spools of every brand that I thought were weak. If you contact the manufacturer, they will generally replace that spool for you. I recently returned 300 yards of 30 pound Micro-fuse Invisabraid, Spiderwires new line. The first spool was crap...the replacement spool is fine.

If you remember that the braid is no more abrasion resistant than mono of the same diameter IE 10 pound is the diameter of two pound mono, you will understand that you need to check for nicks and frayed spots once in awhile. Granite edges and Zebra mussels will cut the line quickly, check the line if you get dragged over rocks or around stumps etc.

Garry2R's

I always read about guys snapping line with PP. I use it exclusively on my musky setups with 80 and 100#, nothing lighter. I use 130# flouro with that as well. I have had backlashes casting "Pounders" Magnum Bull Dawgs, 10" Jakes, Bucktails and so on, I have used it for about 5 years now and it has never failed me. I guess its just the luck of the draw though, but if you are asking for opinions, PP is the best out there I think.

another PP user. currnetly have 50, 65, 80 and 100 spooled on my reels. never an issue other than cost however, that comes back since the stuff just last so long.

tuf line is the other brand i use.

I think the problem with people snapping PP is getting nicks. It WILL nick, and if it does the strength is compromised greatly.

I use 20lb PP pier casting for salmon, around 100 fish a season, and never once break off. Seeing as every year I get a pulled muscle from strikes the shock strength is fine.

I also always use a 3' length of flouro tippet, for visibility & avoiding nicks. Check for nicks frequently, like a frayed cable nicked PP will give way easily.

Been using the same spool for three years, just unwound and reversed it on the spool and shouldn't have any problems getting another two seasons out of it.

Power Pro is good stuff. I wouldn't say it's the best of the braids but it's certainly not the worst either. I think he'll be satisfied with his purchase. Make sure you use some mono for backing as already mentioned or the line will slip on the spool.