Inflatable boats

Benti_11

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Do not buy one of these things.

I had a conversation today with a gentleman at the local CTC and he was talking about buying one so him and his son could get out on the water.

I asked him,how much do you love yer son?

He got the pic after a bit of a informative session.

THESE ARE NOT BOATS.

He totally aggreed even a 12 ft tin banger would be so much safer.

Please do not buy one of these. They are not worth it.

THEY ARE DEATH TRAPS WAITING TO HAPPEN.

Hey i have had one of these for years now. I have never owned a "regular boat" before. Yes they are cheeper in price but as long as you do not stand up in them with 4 people and jump from side to side you will be fine. The good thing is that these boats have many chambers of air. Mine has 6 different chambers so this way if a hole does get punched in the boat you will have other chambers that will hold air and get you home safely. As these boats tend to be wide they are hard to tip over, hey with the right safety gear and the right precautions you will enjoy one of these for years to come.

Here are some pictures from last year of mine.

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0303.jpg

I have a Sea Doo inflatable with a 2.5 hp Nissan. I am happy with it. It is great for getting into the back lakes.

Inflatable boats are quite stable. Most have multiple air chambers so you can still float with a leak.

I am not sure about putting a 9hp motor on a "cheap" inflatable though. most of the cheaper boats are only rated for a couple of hp.

They are great for SMALL WATERS! Don't go anywhere where gas motors are allowed, one little tinny drives by and you'll be swamped.

Otherwise, jump in, wear your PFD and have fun. I wouldn't stick a gas motor on one.. a little electric will do just fine.

what type of inflatable are you talking about? The ones that are a couple hundred bucks at CTC or Zodiacs with the hard floors(around 1500 dollars and up). I am considering buying a 9ft inflatable (Zodiac) with a hard folding plastic floor to put my 6hp on to get into some small back lakes. It is rated for a 20hp.

Does anyone have expeirence with the West Marine RU 260 dinghy?

It would be considered mid range for inflatables i think. Not the cheap style from CT, but not a full hard floor (it has wooden slats for support)

I am thinking of picking one up and putting an electric motor on it for small water fishing.

I along with my son using Zodiac kind of 10' inflateable for the last four years with a small gas motor. Never had a problem. With hardfloor I don't have any problem to stand and fish. However, always put my lifejacket and other safety measures on and remain in small waters. I always keep an eye on weather condition as well. As regards almunium boats, no one can guarantee that those will not sink. But remember Zodiac kind of boat are expensive. It is good to have one if you don't have space to park your boat.

Regards

Sardar

I only said what I said ,as I have seen alot of these boats up here. All for a fish and seen what happens to them and it scares the crap out of me. I have even left from a fishing spot, so I dont have to wittnwess any mishaps that can happen. Some may feel comfortble in them,but I still feel, solid under yer butt is much safer.

If I had a scanner,I would show you a couple of pics of 4 guys heading out on lake "O".

Stay away from Sevlor. Tried one of their inflatable kayaks this year.......sucked dog bollocks. Thankfully I picked it up cheap and sold it cheap.

Kayaks & canoes are the way to go, if money is a problem most manufacturers will sell used or ones with cosmetic defects at a significant discount.

Unfortunately I was looking for something to carry on a motorcycle......and still haven't found anything you can fish from.