A decent upgrade from a Shimano Citica?

BillM

My oldman wants to try out a baitcaster, so I think I might give him my year old Citica 100DSV and buy myself an upgrade :) I've been looking at the Curado, but I don't want to wait for the new "E" '09 model.

I am not stuck on Shimano, although I haven't had any complaints with them in the past. My one muskie reel is an Abu Garcia Record, and it's put up with chucking huge baits all day without even a hint of a problem..

I'm not hard on my equipment, but I should be over 100 days on the water this season, so I need something that is going to stand up..

This will primarily used for bass fishing, topwaters, jerks, cranks etc...

The Curado is a great reel and Shimano can be serviced locally. that might not seem like much, when your purchasing, but I overheard the owner of a local shop saying that he had discontinued some other well known other brands because he couldn't stand behind them. The service was handled by third parties and he wasn't comfortable with that.

The Curado d model is on sale at most places because the e model is coming soon. Tackletour.com has looked at both the d and e model I think. New models aren't always better because the makers don't want to crowd a price point with 2 of their own models, not that is necessarily the case with the e.

2 cents :dunno:

The shimano cardiff is a decent reel for the price and it casts great. I find when tossing ski baits on my zillion and advantage will pull drag when you set the hook, even when its tight. The cardiff has tons of power and a 5.8.1 ratio. Ive had one for 3 yrs now and its still kickin. Good all around reel with tons of power.

Daiwa Luna is a killer "round" reel for all duties/bigger fish.

Shimano makes good bike parts.. :whistling:

Actually theShimano TE200GT is the best $$$ can buy!!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-1

Life's too short for an ugly reel! Get a great one & be happy!

Edited by danbo

I was actually looking at a Chronarch B. The Calias is a bit out of my price range :) I'll have the check out the Abu's and the Daiwa's also.

I have a Chronarch Mg on one of my Pike/Bass rods. Its amazing as well. Another reel you cant go wrong with. Cost a fortune tho, at least when I bought mine.

I have a Chronarch Mg on one of my Pike/Bass rods. Its amazing as well. Another reel you cant go wrong with. Cost a fortune tho, at least when I bought mine.

When I started working for Mercer he gave me a Chronarch Mg as a sort of signing bonus and I love it. I've used his Calais's, Core's etc. etc. on several outings and have to say that I'm just as comfortable and confident using my Chronarch as any of the other reels.

On a side note, I also have an inexpensive Daiwa Procaster and last week I had a largemouth hit so hard it completely crushed my reel.....you get what you

pay for.

Good luck on the new purchase dude!

Thanks man! I don't mind spending the $$$$ on a reel as long as I know it's going to hold up well, with regular maintenance.. My Citica is great and it's not on the high end of Shimano's scale, but with the amount of fishing I've done this year, I'd really like something better.

I think I might pull the trigger on a Chronarch, now just to decide between the B and the MG :)

Can't help you out dude! I've never tried the B. I'm sure it'd be a solid reel though. It all comes down to the budget. The Core/Cumara combo's are FREAKING amazing, light as a feather and you can feel every little thing on the bottom..i mean you can easily tell the difference in sensitivity.....but the price is just to insane for me. Even if I had money comin' out of you know where I don't think I'd buy them.

ps. I use my Chronarch MG for flippin' into thick cover with the drag locked down and rippin' the fish out, as well as a pike reel and I haven't had an issue yet. It's my go-to reel these days and will probably be the highest end reel I ever use....outside of work that is... :whistling:

I have the chronarch Mg and it is a nice reel I also just bought 2 of the TE1160 quantum reels from our sponsors at all american outdoors OFC special. Type in the comment box you are from OFC and the price drops to $115.00. This is the same reel that retailed for over $200.00. Due to a redesign to make it lighter for the 2009 year these were sold at a discount to Dave who is passing along the savings to us. I have had them out on the water and found that they are every bit as nice as the chronarch as far as quality and castability. I am actually thinking of ordering 2 new rods for them from a rod builder just to do them justice.

Owell hope this helps if you need any more info PM me and I will hook you up with Dave he has help quite a few people get the reels they want at a price that is fair.

Art

I just bought the wife a Curado 300dsv for musky fishing because of it's low profile. This is one the highest quality reels we've ever owned. I had a couple of Team Diawa's TDHi's back in the day but since then it's been all C4's.

This reel rocks! I caught myself looking down to make sure the spool was spinning when she let me try it LOL! it's so smooth and casts a country mile.

Thanks man! I don't mind spending the $$$$ on a reel as long as I know it's going to hold up well, with regular maintenance.. My Citica is great and it's not on the high end of Shimano's scale, but with the amount of fishing I've done this year, I'd really like something better.

I think I might pull the trigger on a Chronarch, now just to decide between the B and the MG :)

I have a Shimano Calais CL200, Right handed if you are intrested already spoolled with 30 Sufix braid. :whistling:

Great, smothest reel I have ever owned.

Pm me if interested

Jose

I've got the JDM verison of both these reels and I think they're awesome reels. Whats your primary technique for this reel going to be? Because I feel the Chronarch B(Metanium XT) is better suited for moving baits like spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and cranks. But like Urban Fisherman said the Chronarch Mg(Scorpion Mg) seems to be better at flipping and pitching jigs, or anything that requires more "feel". So my suggestion...neither...I think the JDM verison of the Core looks like the best of both worlds and could be the reel you're looking for. It's at the top of my list of reels I "need" lol. And if you look you can find them for just alittle more than a Chronarch B. IF you're interested send me a PM and I'll send you a link to some online vendors.

Well thanks to Jose, I am a very proud owner of an extremely lightly used Shimano Calais 200.. 7 more bearings then my Citica, I think I am going to be really spoiled!!! lol

.........and I also had to go to JB's and drop some more $$$ on a 7" Med St.Croix Avid casting rod :)

I think I have a disease.