Jan 6th - Soft Water Fishing

superdad

I've called this post Soft-Water Fishing, BUT, the reality was that we were out on the water and not fishing very well.

Ken, Laker and myself launched at the Ferry at 1000 and headed across into the lee of the high shore. Got the rods and lures into the water and headed east.

As we came out of the lee and into the wind, the breezes began to gust in ernest. We had 3 footers at first and we were being blown like a rocket up and down in the waves. Trolling a little further, my planer board slipped and went under - Thought it might be a fish......

It was all I could do to SLOWLY reel in the board. The winds were really starting to gust and the waves grew to 4 footers. Slowly the board came to the boat and with that we realized that we were beating our heads against the odds. Head to the lee of the south shore.

116150-big.jpg

We had a shore lunch while we waited for the winds to subside.

116151.jpg

Laker checked the waves and we got back out into the waves(slightly smaller) and trolled down past the Keith Shoal Buoy. Hard to slow the boat down with the gusts.

The wind died a little and we headed towards the cement plant for a troll along the south side towards the marina. The fishing was ideal for about 45 minutes, before another weather front went thru and the winds picked up again.

We had an issue with another boat who was infringing on our right to fish, but disgression is the better part of valour.

116152.jpg

We insured our lines were out of their way, although there was another boat who wasn't deterred with the size of the Stephen B. Roman.

116153.jpg

They persisted and trolled right by the high flying Cement Boat.

116154.jpg

We made another pass from the White Marker between the cement plant and Thompsons Pt, but the wind switched direction again and we were being tossed around trying to run the lines in the water.

We came ashore at 1530 and talked to another boat that was coming out. They had one landed a few minutes before landing as the water was claming down east of the ferry.

We were skunked in our attempt to land a big mama, BUT, we fished the soft water on January 6th. We happen to have chosen the wrong day to fish with the high winds, Sunday was a gorgeous day with little wind. You can read the results of others on Sunday- oh well if horses had wings, they'd fly.

It made the rest of the winter a whole lot shorter.

If the soft water persists, Laker and I are formulating plans to attack again.

Stay Tuned.

If i had of been in the little boat and that monster was coming towards me on what allready looks to be rough water. Trust me when i say i would have had kittens.......Thats just crazy.

Sorry you did not get into any fish but hey you got out on the boat and on open water in January. Thats something to smile about. :D

Great report, too bad the fish didn't cooperate. That happens and with the weather this year, it's allowed us to fish open water at a time when none of us have been able to do it before... which makes finding the schools of big fish even more difficult. I believe most of the fish have passed the ferry, but that being said, there are still plenty of marks to be seen in Adolphus... I think we have some more learnin to do!

BTW - if your planner board is swamped by an wave and decides it wants to be a Dipsey, just give it an open spool of line and allow it to float back up to the surface. Trying to reel in a submerged board is not only difficult, but a pretty good way to lose your board.

HH