How much do you spend?

jace

Well if I still had the boat,it would be ,with the new gas prices,$140 for the truck and $160 for the boat for a weekend. Thats if I was doing tourneys on a weekend.

As for tackle,thanks for the reminder,I need a few spinner baits.LOL

Just wondering how much you spend on fishing in a typical year?

for new gear, tackle, fishing trips, guiding, gas, time off work (income lost) to fish, etc?

Recreation is important to the mind, body and soul. If you weren't spending it on fishing, how much would golf cost you. I promise that, other than the cost of running a boat, golf would make fishing look like a cheapskate's recreation. Golf for a day is at least $30 to $50 but usually lots more. If you join a club it'll seldom be less than $1,000 per year plus cart rentals. A decent set of sticks will run at least $750 and that's low, and most of us aren't content with one set for more than 3 or 4 years before we want to trade up.

I can tell you from experience that scuba diving for instance costs at least $60 to $75 per person per day for the boat charter, plus $20 - 30 for air fills, plus travel expenses because the diving is never just around the corner. The gear needed makes fishing look cheap.

If you go away on fishing holidays are they in place of other forms of holiday? Again, money you'd spend on something.

The point is there's no reason in tearing yourself up fussing about what your fishing costs you. If you get your money's worth out of the equipment, the family's not doing without the essentials because of your spending, and you're able to combine family holidays with your fishing, is it really that expensive. On the other hand, if you refuse to share your fishing holidays with your family (or vice versa) and spend an inordinate portion of the family fun money on stuff for you alone, then perhaps you need to re-assess.

Fishing is one of the least expensive forms of gear-centric recreation we have available with the best bang for the buck ratio of just about anything fun I know.

JF

I usually spend about 6K on fishing gear, but only a small fraction of that is known by the other half.

JF

That's a good chunk of money. You must have some nice shiny trinkets. wait, is this PM reply or a public post? I don't have this forum thing down yet.

Well, I have many hobbies keeping me broke; electric guitars & amps, knife collecting,etc. You just gotta go with your seasonal priorities. Skiing & ice-fishing in winter, boats & bikes in summer, salmon & trout in spring or fall.

Now if you Hunt as well..archery stuff, guns,decoys,camo...

Thank God we live in a country so lush with outdoor pursuits.

That's a good chunk of money. You must have some nice shiny trinkets. wait, is this PM reply or a public post? I don't have this forum thing down yet.

Nah. That was diving. Did I really post that? She'll kill me. :whistling:

JF

I should have figured, good cover John.do you think she will fall for it??

She doesn't fall for much. The only one I ever got away with was when I assured her I stood to inherit millions, the day I proposed.

JF

well if you add up using the bigger boat a couple times a week in the winter at about 25 bucks or more a trip for the boat,site fees for my trailer, gas for the little boat up there, gas to travel there almost weekly in the summer, tackle, bait, then there is kicking in the odd day for gas, tackle, bait with buddies who have bigger boats like today when we went out in Jeff's Charter boat, not even including local fishing from shore or anything...ummmm...a few grand no prob :whistling: can't really say how much incase the wife is looking over my shoulder one day :lol:

I have no kids or big responsibilites so i put as much time into fishing as i can. As another person put it...I can't take it with me. On average, i spend maybe $7-8K/year on trips and new equipment combined but the bulk of that is on a fishing trip which i've been doing annually or semi-annually since the mid 90's. I'll get a few new reels every year, not always the flagship models, just whatever interests me for whatever reason. The same goes for rods, whatever looks interesting, and i always like to try something new or different just to see... One thing i don't think i'll be trying just yet are the carrot stix, at least not until they come in other colors. heh. I know my income takes a big hit from this but ever since studying economics, i look at everything from the standpoint of opportunity costs (trade-offs) and maxizing "utility." It's a pretty dorky way to see things but I can't seem to break it and it comes up in things i do every day. The past few years has been a boom for me with the steadily rising US exchange rate. I think we can do without the 50% exchange rates for a little longer, at least for canadians vacationing there.

Well, I have many hobbies keeping me broke; electric guitars & amps, knife collecting,etc. You just gotta go with your seasonal priorities. Skiing & ice-fishing

guitars and amps. That was a big one for me while i was in university. I tried out different guitars, swapping out pickups, and buying effects pedals until i finally settled on a fender twin, marshall jcm800, 3 Boss pedals, 1 digitech, and 4 guitars.

Yep...music is big for me too...

Fender semi acoustic

Ibanez Roadstar II electric

Yamaha acoustic

Peavey Amp

1 Boss pedal

1 Effects pod

No name bass guitar for recording

Most of the stuff (minus the effects pod and bass) are over 20 years old and just as good today as when I bought them.

Most of the stuff (minus the effects pod and bass) are over 20 years old and just as good today as when I bought them.

is that the Line6 Pod? I almost bought one a few months ago, but then a friend said i should get a toneport instead. ...and now i'm back to no decidion and i have neither.

Now ya know why I like to trade so often! I don't dare list all my stuff..it's sinful.

Best thing I ever did was quit Booze & drugs & smoking..now I get high on the call of a loon, or kids giggling in the pool!

Edited by danbo

Yep...music is big for me too...

Fender semi acoustic

Ibanez Roadstar II electric

Yamaha acoustic

Peavey Amp

1 Boss pedal

1 Effects pod

No name bass guitar for recording

me too guys, but can't mention that too much too or I may have to cut out some of the expenses..lol, well actually my music hobby doesn't cost me all that much anymore since I havehad almost all of it for a long time :rolleyes:

Epiphone Les Paul..LP 1 (same as Les Paul Standard

Yamaha Acoustic as well

1976 -400 Watt,Sunn Stagemaster amp with matching 4X12 cabinet

Hartke Systems 250X250 Transient attack base head with 4X8 SWR systems cabinet

various Boss pedals

Vox Wha pedal

mike stands,couple mics

mums the word on what that all adds up to OK guys :unsure: