How to entice kid to fish?

bassfighter

I have to presuade my 13 year old son to get more enthusiastic on this sport, he always say he does not like fishing and yet when he is on the water with me, he will work hard and cast the whole day. Regardless of his result, he just find fishing not exciting enough. He will find all excuses not to go fishing. Though, once he is on the water, he does not complain, we always enjoy swimming on the lake when the sun gets too hot.

He just landed 4 out of 5 smallmouth bass(all close to 2 lb) few days ago and still after the day's work he said he only wanted to fish ones a month. He was not too excited of his results nor want to do better next time. I landed close to 10 , all average 2 lber , largest over 3+ lb for 5 hours of work.

Anyone out there whose kid is finicky in fishing? How do you influence them into being more serious into the sport?

I was advice by other friends that if there are other kids with us, he will be more challenge. I had my friend's kids who joined us one day last year, my son was landing fish and teaching them how to catch them.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/b...um/stephen2.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/b...um/stephen1.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/b...album/josh1.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/b...um/stephen3.jpg

Edited by bassfighter

I can tell ya im thirteen and iv been into fishing since i was 10 you could

-Make him jealous when he sees you catching all these fish

-You could have a little 1 on 1 competition with him to get him in the fishing mood

-Or you could always go out early catch 6 decent fish tie time to a rope on the bottom of a lake attatch the ends of the ropes to yer boat advise your son to cast there and then when he says dad dad i got a bite and there you go your son has 2 nice fish under his belt and is craving for more! haha

L.A

very nice looking bass there josh.....and stephen.........

i have the opposite problem...my son is always askin me when when when when ......

he even outfished me on wedsday.....

kids are funny....but sometimes you cant force your will on them....hey he has different intrests.....

hope it all works out for you

good to see you had a great day

peter

How do you influence them into being more serious into the sport?

Theres one word in your sentence that really hits home here and one I will never use again. serious

I went through this with my son,on the hockey level. I really pushed and he was enjoying it. When the time came where he didnt care for it,I still pushed ,talked to Jr teams ,as I knew/thought, he could make the next level. So did many others.

If they dont want to,then let it be. I still believe he could of gone some where,but hey,it,s his choice.

Hope that came accross as a positive for you.

My son has my wife's personality, nothing gets to excited for both of them. My son is not too competitive in nature. I have to bribe him at times to see a movie so he can join me on our next fishing trip. I can't use reverse psychology either, if I say you are not fishing next week, he will jump right up and be happy not to go.

He just turn teen, therefore trying to be smart on everything as well.

I am the opposite, I love every sport and competitive even at an early age, I will work hours on anything just to be good at it. I hardly remember my Dad taking me anywhere , if he did ask I would not hesitate to go golfing or play tennis with him. I remembered I would patiently wait for my Dad to take me anywhere, and sometimes it take months for him to find the time.

I would make all my effort to spend time with my son today, and we bond by watching movies and playing Tennis, but fishing is still boring for him. Though I try to compare tennis and fishing and explain the similarity, where there is a competitor across th eother end, and if we strive to improve each time, the better competitor or bigger fish will want to compete with us as well.

I just hope he will pick it up and be good at it some day, now that I have the experience to guide him, and get him to the honey holes.

Edited by bassfighter

My son has my wife's personality, nothing gets to excited for both of them. My son is not too competitive in nature. I have to bribe him at times to see a movie so he can join me on our next fishing trip. I can't use reverse psychology either, if I say you are not fishing next week, he will jump right up and be happy not to go.

He just turn teen, therefore trying to be smart on everything as well.

I am the opposite, I love every sport and competitive even at an early age, I will work hours on anything just to be good at it. I hardly remember my Dad taking me anywhere , if he did ask I would not hesitate to go golfing or play tennis with him. I remembered I would patiently wait for my Dad to take me anywhere, and sometimes it take months for him to find the time.

I would make all my effort to spend time with my son today, and we bond by watching movies and playing Tennis, but fishing is still boring for him. Though I try to compare tennis and fishing and explain the similarity, where there is a competitor across th eother end, and if we strive to improve each time, the better competitor or bigger fish will want to compete with us as well.

I just hope he will pick it up and be good at it some day, now that I have the experience to guide him, and get him to the honey holes.

Well, if you don't think rev.psych. will work, what about taking some cute young teenaged girls out fishing with you. They tend to draw teenaged boys like flies to rotting fish.

Seriously though, I think it's one of those "Build it, they will come." deals with kids and their activities. Keep doing what you do, and let him know clearly that it's okay if he wants to join you, but don't twist his arm. That will just push him away from it. Be cool and one day he may just surprise you by asking if you'll take him out and show him the ropes.

And I was only half joking when I said to tell him he can't do it. You don't have to actually tell him he can't, but if you just ignore the subject of him and fishing, eventually he may well decide that it's not a bad idea, and as long as it's his idea, he may come around. There's every likelihood that some of his friends at school will be getting into it, with or without their parents, and if he can score some gear from you he's gonna go for it just to be like his buddies. Then you have to refrain from gloating. Just carry on as if you are doing it for him, not for you. Do your crowing in the privacy of your own room. Kids tend to be defiant, and selfish, often in a very gentle and innocent way. It's just the nature of the beast, finding their own identity. So let them think they're initiating the new things, that they're manipulating you a bit. Soon the respect will come when they start to realize that you're already a master of this thing that they really want to do well. Good parenting is a tough job, but the rewards are incredible.

JF

i think bringing his friends along would help.

but honestly, don't force it. if he's not into it, he's not into it. if you force something on him, he will just resent it.

my dad started me younger, 8 or 9. 13 is a tough age, i know myself i was becoming mroe interested in girls, music etc. at the time hanging out with dad just didn't seem "cool" at the time.

Use reverse psychology. Tell him he's not allowed to fish.

JF

Actually not a bad idea. I can attribute my addiction a lot to my dad only taking me on SOME of his trips, then coming home when he didn't take me and bragging about all the big fish he caught. Especially if he went to a new spot.. then I'd be bugging to go see the spot!

Kids tend to be defiant, and selfish, often in a very gentle and innocent way. It's just the nature of the beast, finding their own identity. So let them think they're initiating the new things, that they're manipulating you a bit. Soon the respect will come when they start to realize that you're already a master of this thing that they really want to do well. Good parenting is a tough job, but the rewards are incredible.

Ya think?

My youngest is into skateboarding, and all that comes with it. I just leave him be and let him do what he likes. I get him to fish once in awhile,but his friends are his friends and thats just fine with me. I do tell him,even at the age of 23,I dont like some of them,but hey,it,s his wish, his way. I/we do what we can do.

Ya think?

My youngest is into skateboarding, and all that comes with it. I just leave him be and let him do what he likes. I get him to fish once in awhile,but his friends are his friends and thats just fine with me. I do tell him,even at the age of 23,I dont like some of them,but hey,it,s his wish, his way. I/we do what we can do.

Hey, I'm no parenting paragon, but if I learned anything it's that every kid wants some space. We can best lead by example, not by force, and hope our example helps steer them in the right direction. When they're younger we've gotta exercise some restraint, on them and on ourselves, but as they get more independent we have to let 'em have their head and hope the lessons we taught 'em work. I doubt there's ever been a parent who was thrilled with everything their kid did, but the important thing is how they turn out in the end, right?

Yer smart to bite yer tongue, at least until you see him really screwing up, and I mean way beyond just ticking you off. Then speak out, but tread softly even then. When there's no time left for gentle guidance it's probably too late. Then the system will have to sort out his problems. It's amazing how resilient kids can be. By that I mean how much deep doodoo they can get themselves into and still make the turn before it's too late. The trick for us as parents is to keep our sanity while the kids try to drive us round the bend with their shenanigans. It's really tough to maintain a sense of objectivity when our own kids are involved.

I can point to several guys my age who have had very successful lives, in every sense of the word, yet when they were teenagers I'd have sworn they were hellbent on self-destruction - booze, drugs or petty crime. Boy, did I read them wrong. And some of those who screwed up the worst were the least likely looking candidates for failed lives when we were kids. Just because someone lives differently than we do ourselves doesn't mean they're all wrong.

Keep the faith, Dad

JF

I have to agree with Raf. If he's not into it there is no use forcing him. My brothers were athletic and played soccer, baseball and hockey...and even golf. All sports my dad was into. He even coached their teams. I played a few years of hockey and tried golf, but I wasn't really into it. He tried to get me excited about it...and I really wanted be excited...I wanted nothing more than to have my dad proud of me, but the passion just wasn't there.

Is he into other sports or in a competitive environment? If not, then it could be a self confidence issue. If he sees you being serious about it, then he may back down because he doesn't want to disappoint you. Then again, he could just not like it...plain and simple.

Some ideas here:

1) fish clear water so he can see the fish......docks, small cliffs and panfish are great for the exercise.

2) make is 100% non-competitive

3) hot chicks

4) Being on the boat all day with your dad may not be so hot

forrest

If I hollered..."who wants to go fishing with dear old dad "...I had to stand back or get trampled in the stampede from my second oldest son and my daughter...

Our first born liked fishing as long as there was fast action...if it was slow he would rather be elsewhere...

Unfortunately my daughter died of a rare disease eleven years ago...but oh my, how she loved to go fishing...

Maureen (my step-daughter) has just taken up fishing seriously in the past five years and I couldn't be happier...Hell, she owns more and better tackle than I do...That last baitcasting rod she won that Speil made is a beauty...too bad she lives so far away from here or we probably would be out in her boat every chance we could...

Don't know how to entice kids to like fishing...take them when they are young and hope they get bit by the bug...

I have to agree with Raf. If he's not into it there is no use forcing him. My brothers were athletic and played soccer, baseball and hockey...and even golf. All sports my dad was into. He even coached their teams. I played a few years of hockey and tried golf, but I wasn't really into it. He tried to get me excited about it...and I really wanted be excited...I wanted nothing more than to have my dad proud of me, but the passion just wasn't there.

Is he into other sports or in a competitive environment? If not, then it could be a self confidence issue. If he sees you being serious about it, then he may back down because he doesn't want to disappoint you. Then again, he could just not like it...plain and simple.

You're right. We had to let the boys find the things they wanted to do and then encourage them in those things. If I wanted to spend time with them I had to take an interest in those activities. That's how my wife and I came to play golf, and really like it. It was just a way in the beginning for us to do something with the boys, but it was their idea first. Truth of the matter is that the kids don't always want us doing everything they do. They want a life of their own, something that's exclusively theirs. As much as we'd love to spend more time with them, it ain't gonna happen naturally. Those who are lucky enough to have their kid want to share an activity should just be thankful and get the max enjoyment while they still can. If your kids don't want to play games with you then respect their privacy and let them do their own thing. Too often the reason the kids are doing the things we hate is because they know we hate it and won't likely try to share the fun.

JF

Hey, I'm no parenting paragon, but if I learned anything it's that every kid wants some space. We can best lead by example, not by force, and hope our example helps steer them in the right direction. When they're younger we've gotta exercise some restraint, on them and on ourselves, but as they get more independent we have to let 'em have their head and hope the lessons we taught 'em work. I doubt there's ever been a parent who was thrilled with everything their kid did, but the important thing is how they turn out in the end, right?

Yer smart to bite yer tongue, at least until you see him really screwing up, and I mean way beyond just ticking you off. Then speak out, but tread softly even then. When there's no time left for gentle guidance it's probably too late. Then the system will have to sort out his problems. It's amazing how resilient kids can be. By that I mean how much deep doodoo they can get themselves into and still make the turn before it's too late. The trick for us as parents is to keep our sanity while the kids try to drive us round the bend with their shenanigans. It's really tough to maintain a sense of objectivity when our own kids are involved.

I can point to several guys my age who have had very successful lives, in every sense of the word, yet when they were teenagers I'd have sworn they were hellbent on self-destruction - booze, drugs or petty crime. Boy, did I read them wrong. And some of those who screwed up the worst were the least likely looking candidates for failed lives when we were kids. Just because someone lives differently than we do ourselves doesn't mean they're all wrong.

Keep the faith, Dad

JF

WOW

If I was a writter like you,those would of been the words, I would of spoken.

TY JF

I do bite my tounge,but I do also let loose the lion, when need be. The ones I have pounced on,do not come around,and when I ask not,they do not. Im not sure if it,s the wrath they know that will come,or if my stories of my past that make them come around. I have been thanked by some,but others think it,s bu l l c hit,until it happens.

My youngest I feel knows the limits,he,s been there and Im sure he dont want to go back. This is why I dont push. I and him,are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. " hellbent on self-destruction - booze, drugs or petty crime." I was one,turned out prety good I think. Thats why I tell them my story.

Keep the faith, Dad and all the dads. :Gonefishing:

I am impress with so many wise parenting advice here.

I try my best to make it a pleasant trip everytime he joined us, I will fish against the wind or place where it is hard to cast, he is obedient and patient most of the time. Onc ein a while whe th ebite is slow, he might lose his patience and when I challenge him to catch his last fish before we go home, he always manage to get one when it comes to pressured situation. I have tested him in other sport and if it comes under pressure, he was able to peform.

Conclusion: I will try not to be pushy and even cut down on some days when he really feels not in the mood to go fishing. I tried to show him the video of the angler without any limb, to encurage him that for those who puts their mind into it , nothing is impossible. That video always reminds me "never say it can't be done."

I am impress with so many wise parenting advice here.

I try my best to make it a pleasant trip everytime he joined us, I will fish against the wind or place where it is hard to cast, he is obedient and patient most of the time. Onc ein a while whe th ebite is slow, he might lose his patience and when I challenge him to catch his last fish before we go home, he always manage to get one when it comes to pressured situation. I have tested him in other sport and if it comes under pressure, he was able to peform.

Conclusion: I will try not to be pushy and even cut down on some days when he really feels not in the mood to go fishing. I tried to show him the video of the angler without any limb, to encurage him that for those who puts their mind into it , nothing is impossible. That video always reminds me "never say it can't be done."

Show him "A River Runs Through It" and if he's got any romance in his soul he'll be hooked, or else he'll become a degenerate newspaperman.

JF

I did not like to fish at all when I was little and now it is a an addiction, didnt start liking it untill I was 14 or so. My son has uttered the words "I hate fishing dad" (very painful), however he is twelve now and the other day at Balsam Lake as I prepared to head out with my buddy and his two sons for some evening Walleye he said" I am coming along" (I acted aloof and said "if you want sure", inside I was saying YES!!!!). He out fished all of us 4 great fish, kept one for his Grandpa. I told him I was very proud of him rubbed his hair (holding back tear) and he said thats great dad can we go in now. Any way I overheard him telling his buddies how great it was to out fish his fishing crazy dad. Kids they are all different. (my youngest, my little girl loves to fish so there you go)