Outboard Motor Problem

holdfast

Never had a problem with my 15 HP Honda till this summer. First it was under powered and I changed the plugs and good to go. Well on Sunday I went to start it, (push button elect start) a split second start click then Dead. Tried pulling the pull cord and it wont Budge. Flipped reverse and forward back to neutral and the fly wheel still doesn't budge. Battery is dead so after a tow and back to the trailer I used a fresh battery and I get a split second start click and still no budging. So now the motor is off to the shop. Any Ideas, Both oils are good. Give me the bad news or maybe its minor. All I can hear is chi chine at the cash register

Thanks

Never had a problem with my 15 HP Honda till this summer. First it was under powered and I changed the plugs and good to go. Well on Sunday I went to start it, (push button elect start) a split second start click then Dead. Tried pulling the pull cord and it wont Budge. Flipped reverse and forward back to neutral and the fly wheel still doesn't budge. Battery is dead so after a tow and back to the trailer I used a fresh battery and I get a split second start click and still no budging. So now the motor is off to the shop. Any Ideas, Both oils are good. Give me the bad news or maybe its minor. All I can hear is chi chine at the cash register

Thanks

It doesn't sound right that the cord won't move it, otherwise there are a ton of common electrical things to check like safety-neutral, a kill switch, tighten connections at the starter.

Could be seized pistons or bearings? any chance it had a crack in it? at the end of last season, did you see any wetness where it shouldn't be wet or water in the oil, oil in the water.

Sounds like an oil lock in one of the cylinders. Happens once in a while. Oil gets built up between the plug and the piston and there's too much pressure to allow the engine to turn over. Easy fix though, just pull one plug and turn motor over. Then do the other one. Oil should shoot out of the hole the plug was in. After it's been cleared put the plug back in and take the boat for a good run. Will smoke for a couple of minutes but the problem should be fixed.

PB

It could be hydraulic lock if this is the first time starting it this year after storage or you put fogging oil directly into the cylinder through the spark plug opening. Or the outboard has been laying on its side...but if it's been on the boat for a while, any excess oil should drain down past the rings. This can also be caused by crazy amount of fuel flooding or if the engine has been submerged in water. heh. but in normal running position, it should draiin down also.

If it only clicks one time only when you try to start and never tries to start again, it could be a bad connection and changing the battery simply wiggled things enough to make it happen. the click is the solenoid and it should click every time you try.

Thanks guy, Ill try the spark plug removal later, there is hope. Its been used several times, left on the Boat, not any electrical as I cant pull the cord or move the fly wheel. Oils are good.

Thanks guy, Ill try the spark plug removal later, there is hope. Its been used several times, left on the Boat, not any electrical as I cant pull the cord or move the fly wheel. Oils are good.

When was the last time you had the impeller replaced? Your impeller may have gone out on you without your realizing it, and the motor ran hot and siezed... I hope not...but...

Usually you'll blow a gasket before it seizes if it overheated. Sounds like its just locked up like the previous posts said. I've never had that happen though.....or seen it for that matter. Could be siezed too.......I honestly don't know...LOL.

Sinker

:dunno:

This wont solve your problem, but,

For what its worth; my Marine Mechanic told me, NEVER move the Forward/Reverse lever with the motor not running. Forgotten why now, but he has been a mechanic for 30yrs,and knows what he is doing.

Hmmm....I was thinking 4 stroke-improperly stored had crankcase oil in cylinders but rereading first post your oil is good so not that.

If its the starter binding the flywheel he should see that-no need to remove starter if bendix isn't exteded-its not the prob if he can't pull cord and starters not engaged. You sure its in neutral, play around with the linkage.

Did you look in through spark plug holes? Don't put a socket on flywheel nut and attempt turning yet.

the motor is in the shop now. They told me they could only promise me one thing, I says whats that, He says, we wont be looking at it this week.. So it canoeing this weeknd.

Its not the starter Binding because I can push the starter gear away from the flywheel ( as per Neutral) and still jammed. I even changed batteries for more juice and still no go, but starter engages. Never did look in the spark plug holes. So Im curious, what would I be looking for. I know thats where the Pistons are.

Seeing as how you have eliminated a bunch of the potential caues, hydro or oil lock(liquid in the cylinder above the piston), starter out of the way and not engaged. The Fwd/N/Rev is not stuck, you said that moved, so the gear case is not part of the problem. Is the rubber timing belt off or so loose that the camshaft may have jumped and you have piston/valve interference?

Could also be the safety switch thingy that stops the engine from starting in gear.....??

This is a weird one, that's for sure.

Sinker

That's just a magnetic interlock electric switch, nothing mechanical to stop the engine from turning.

my guess is that the starter jammed on the flywheel. remove the starter and see if the engine turns over by hand.

This guy has it......... mine does this 1 outa every 50 times or so.

go over to shop and tap the starter gear down.........and take your motor back :thumbsup_anim:

Thats exactly what mine does.......... made me scratch my head to.

can pull rip cord either...

wont take much of a tap to knock it down..........i use the end of a oar :thumbsup_anim:

That's just a magnetic interlock electric switch, nothing mechanical to stop the engine from turning.

I'm not familiar with honda's. Mine won't turn with it engaged, but my engine isn't a honda, or a 4 stroke, or electric start....LOL.

Just a wild guess.

I want to hear what the problem was when you find out, that's for sure!!

Sinker

I'm not familiar with honda's. Mine won't turn with it engaged, but my engine isn't a honda, or a 4 stroke, or electric start....LOL.

Just a wild guess.

I want to hear what the problem was when you find out, that's for sure!!

Sinker

Shoot, shoulda splained it better, ya you're right, the electric starter won't engage or activate, but you can still turn it by hand or pull starter, it's sort of like another tether cord switch. And I want to know the outcome too... :thumbsup_anim: