My Steelhead Experiences....newbie Report!

ccmtcanada

I decided to broaden my horizons when it comes to fishing, so over the Christmas break, I began my steelhead hunt! Fishindevil loaned me his roe bag tying equipment (thanks a lot by the way!), so with my brother-in-law's help, we tied about a 100 bags. Went out and bought floats, swivels, hooks, sinkers and leaders. Read a bunch of stuff on the net (including many of the reports here on OFC) and in a great book we have at home.

Excursion 1: Hit a local trib on December 29th...water was very clear and low...not great conditions. Was there before sunrise, and found a spot. Had one hit between the two of us in 4 hours! Everyone else we talked to didn't pull anything out that day either. I quickly learned about snags...and had to tie lots of hooks back on. Because of the water clarity, I could see how the roe bag would acted in the water and experimented with floater depths. Big Lesson we learned was to try and scope out ahead of time locations along the banks....we wasted lots of time looking and walking only to find out we were on the wrong side of he creek.

Excursion 2 and 3: Went out again on Jan 2nd and 3rd. It rained a lot on New Years Eve, so we knew the water would be good for a few days after. Again, there before sunrise...much of the same results as our first time out...a few hits...no real action. Main difference was that we knew which holes we wanted to be skunked in.... :lol:

Excursion 4: My brother-in-law went back to the States, so this was my first solo mission. Got to the spot I wanted just before sunrise and started fishing on Sunday Jan 7th...a few days after a rain again. About one hour in, I had a HIT!!! I set the hook (not good enough) and a big one went crazy...pulling lots of drag and swimming FAST! I lost him after a HUGE 12 second fight....LOL. I was pumped up after that one! Saw a guy about 50 feet to my left land one and lose 2. A group of guys a few hundred yards on my other side landed 5 and lost a few...I could hear their shouts...man was I jealous!!

Anyhow, no fish so far...sorry about how long this report was. I'm hoping to end my skunk this month. I'm hoping the weather cooperates so I can get out a few more times. I still have TONS of roe bags to get thru!!!

Keep trying. It took me about 5 or 6 tried before i got one. The trib I wanted to fish so bad for steelies wasn't so great because it was always low and gin clear. Then tried steelheading on the grand and i got my first two steelies.

Thats steelhead.

One day they are on, and the next their gone...

Allthough rotating the colors, and offerings on those "blown out days" might help increase you odds a bit as well.

Sounds like your doing things right, so keep at it, and it'll pay off.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and encouragement everyone! It's supposed to rain again this week...the tribs could be prime for another outing!!! Friday rain then Saturday sunny and +9C!!! This time I'll set the hook a little more aggressively!

Big Lesson we learned was to try and scope out ahead of time locations along the banks....we wasted lots of time looking and walking only to find out we were on the wrong side of he creek.

Haaa !!!... we got another one hooked on chrome from the tribs .... great stuff !!! Welcome to the club ... but by the way .... the walking and scouting is sooooo not a waste of time .... most of us have almost as much fun walking and scouting (even without a rod) as we do drifting and nailing em .... heck I often get home way more excited after a good day of scouting pre-season than after catchin all day after openers .... but then maybe its just me :)