Getting boat onto plane - am I doing something wrong?

allbusiness

I believe he,s state side now.LOL

I do believe ,you are the next FF in line G. :o:lol: I would offer,but I just lost 26 pounds. ;):D

So does this make me the new Number 1?

Congrats on the weight lose! Light Beer really does work eh?

G

LOL, a problem true to my heart.

I have the 151 All sport.

Get the Hydro fin it really helps planing and will stop the hull slapping in larger waves.

You need to be above 13knots to get a plane going at top speed with the 25 you should be around 20-22 knots depending on waves, wind etc.

I added a second trolling motor battery up front too give me a little more weight near the front.

2 people on the boat is great to get a plane going but your not going to be able to reduce speed too much, 50% power will drop you below plane speed

3 people on the boat without the hydro fin, you need to balance people. yes move them all around the middle or close to the front. Then its WOT, start slowing down and you lose the plane.

4 people.. never going to happen :( unless they all are on diets and small

With the 25 (4) I almost never allow more than 3 just due too the planing issue.. I would not worry about the WOT at all the 25 hardly uses any gas at all. I am normally WOT or crusing not on a plane.

Too get on a plane put the motor down all the way and as you increase speed gently thumb the motor up. Once on a plane thumb the motor up until its at the max. Then you are going as fast as you can

When 3 people are on the boat.. a thumb click wait till speed increases, a thumb click etc.. do fast and you lose it.

25 is underpowered but for me most of the time Its me and a friend and only on rare occasions is it 3 people 4 people only when there is no other option.

Can't beat the trolling all day and it cost $$6-8 in gas

Thanks for all the posts guys

I'll screw around with it a little more today, as for the hydro foil I don't think I could bring myself to drill holes in a brand new motor - maybe in a couple of years when it isn't new I'll throw one of those on.

I think it is a little underpowered but like leXXington said it costs next to nothing to run it at WOT, so if I have to have it at WOT to stay on plane, so be it. most of the lakes I fish are fairly small so I'll only have to have it WOT for around 5-10 minutes.

I will be by myself most of the time and the other day I had a 200lb passenger so I think by myself I should be able to keep it on plane at around mayber 3/4 throttle (an extra 200lbs is a lot of weight)

I will try to distribute the weight a little more evenly but besides my fishing rod, tackle bag, and all the safetly equipment (which is all up front in the storage compartment) I don't think there's a whole lot I can do.

I would've liked to upgrade to a bigger motor but the wife won't let me - so I'm stuck with the 25hp

Anyways, I'm going out again today - with about 100lbs less in the boat - so I'll post when I come back and see if that made a difference.

Thanks again for all the replys and helpful information

I have an old Cresliner 15 fter with an old 25hp pushing it. BEST thing I ever invested in was a hydrofoil. Get onto plane quicker and stay on plane way longer. I hear you can buy ones that don't require drilling screw holes.

Several folks here also advised you to install one. It'll save money in fuel and strain on the 25hp to push the boat onto plane. The Doel-fin one is only around $40. including tax at Bass Pro but requires 4 holes be drilled into the cavitation plate on the motor to install it. I suggest you take the great hydrofoil advice folks gave you for your underpowered boat.

Sure made a world of difference on mine. And your motor being a 4-stroke with the power trim (unnecesary for a small motor like that in my opinion) means it's heavier than a regular 2 stroke witout power trim. I bet that poor little motor is quietly begging for a hydrofoil!

Edited by cisco

I have a 16' legend Pro Sport with the exact motor you have and I have no problem with keeping it at plane at 3/4 throttle or just under without the hydrofoil. I think lack of experience it the key, yeah a hydrofoil would help and make it a lot easier but getting to know your motor and boat is what you need to do. It is under powered IMO 1/2 the max, and so is mine I am at 5/8 of the max so not much under powered but I only had so much to spend. Just for your info you shouldn't be running that motor for more than 5min MAX full out when breaking it in.

Keep at it and you will get it.

Good luck

Well,

I just got back from the lake with the wife and having a 100lbs less in the boat made a world of difference, just had to use WOT to get it up onto plane and was then able to cut back to around 3/4 and it stayed on plane just fine. I'm still breaking the motor in so I only had it WOT for about 3-4 minutes at a time then eased back the throttle a little.

it would be nice to have a larger motor, but since I'll be fishing by myself 90% of the time, I think the 25 will do just fine, I can't wait to take it out by myself and see how much better it performs.

I think I just need to keep an eye on how much weight I put on the boat, as for the hydrofoil I refuse to drill holes into my new motor, unless I can find one that doesn't require drilled holes, I won't be putting one on this year - maybe next year when it isn't so new anymore.

anyway, having less weight in the boat improved performance 100%

Thanks for all the replys

Sure made a world of difference on mine. And your motor being a 4-stroke with the power trim (unnecesary for a small motor like that in my opinion) means it's heavier than a regular 2 stroke witout power trim. I bet that poor little motor is quietly begging for a hydrofoil!

Yeah, it may not need the power trim, but I think it was the best 600$ I've ever spent, and I find it is nice to have. I would've regretted not getting it just to save a little money

A lot of people don't realize how much weight and weight distribution affect vessel performance, especially the lower h.p. models.

At rest, your vessel should "sit" level in the water... forward to aft and port to starboard.

Always adhere to the load limits for your vessel, overloading can be very dangerous!!!