NF - Anyone know where I can get an aluminum plate?

ccmtcanada

I was wondering if anyone out there knew of a place in the Oshawa area (or Durham Region in general) where one can buy a 1/4" thick aluminum plate....about 2 feet by 3 feet. (I can get away with 1 foot by 3 feet).

I have a bowmount trolling motor (thanks Roy) that I need to install, but I need the plate in order to attach it correctly/safely.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by ccmt

I'll 2nd the Meteal Supermarket Cliff and for what you need it'll be dirt cheap.

There's one in Scarboro I've used a couple times and you can find it with Google.

Good folks to deal with.

Quarter inch is not sheet but plate, Cliff. That's why it's so expensive. Quarter inch is wayyyyyyyyyy overkill. You might want to consider marine ply, cut and bolted to the nose. Then drill the ply in the appropriate areas, drop the bolts down through and fasten with large washers and lock nuts.

Quarter inch is not sheet but plate, Cliff. That's why it's so expensive. Quarter inch is wayyyyyyyyyy overkill. You might want to consider marine ply, cut and bolted to the nose. Then drill the ply in the appropriate areas, drop the bolts down through and fasten with large washers and lock nuts.

Hmmm....that's sounding like a good idea Roy....how thick would you suggest if I went the marine ply route?

Thanks for your help guys....

I'd use 1/2" or 5/8" securely bolted to the nose. You can also use regular ply and treat it yourself with Thompson's or one of those products. Then place the mount on the ply exactly where you want it and mark the holes to be drilled out. You can also get fancy and cover the ply with the same or similar carpeting that you have in your boat. You can also put in a vertical piece of ply under the end of the larger piece to use as both a brace and drilled out to install the motor power receptacle.

Cliff, I'm wondering if they thought you were talking about stainless checkerplate or something similar with that price they gave you.

I bought a piece of 1/4" aluminum.....4" x 12" to mount my GPS and they charged me $5 :dunno:

I'm thinking the same thing , Lew but if Cliff can get the ply much more easily and work with it himself with run of the mill tools and make it just as sturdy....well, it's an option at least.

Cliff, I can get you a 12" x 36" piece of 1/4" plate (standard) for cost at $52.03 + tax if that works. Aluminum has gone up dramatically. PM me if I can help.

John..

Very nice offer MoiraRiverman, that's why I like this site so much, always someone going out of their way to help fellow board members.

If that doesn't pan out, you could try Ability Metals on Brock rd just South of Bayly in Pickering.

963 Brock Road, Pickering, ON L1W 3A4

Telephone : 905-420-0788

http://www.abilitymetals.com/

Good Luck.

Stan

made my own aluminum bracket last year in 1/4" and all tolled it cost me about 80-90 bucks in alum. So its not that outrageous to think its gone up that much, steel has def. spiked......Id assume alum. follows the same trend. I got it from Metal supermarkets as well by the way. ROCK solid bracket and turned out quite nice if i do say so myself

I used the method Roy is suggesting on my new boat... Cliff... One word of advice be sure to use rubber washer as a spacer between the boat and whatever material you wind up using or between the quick release plate and the material.. It will prevent alot of vibration. Also Nylock Nuts or lock washers should be used as well.

G

Thanks a lot guys! I think I'm going to go the plywood, treated with Thompson's water seal route. It's a job that I can do myself as I have all the tools needed and with everyone's advice I think I can handle it.

MoiraRiverMan - Thanks for your generous offer! Much appreciated!

I'll post a pic or two once it's all done.

Thanks again everyone! This community rocks!

Cliff.. I have some 1" Marine Grade Here @ the Shop.. if you give me a measurement I can mill it up quickly enough for you.. I am in Vaughan just north of the 407... I can also edge it for you to make it look nice... and add a few coats of spar varnish..

anyways the offer is there...

G

little late as i see your opting for the Wood route, but these are the best pics i could find of the alum. bracket i made last year.........I didnt have a flat platform to mount to, the bow has a curve to it so it made it a little tricky getting the motor "level" so the shaft is plumb in the water. Especially doing it dry docked on a trailer knowing that it sits totally differnt in the water. I layed it out in AutoCAD though and it came out "dead nuts" lol I also put a plate on the underside of the bow so as to sandwhich the fiberglass and disperse the load so there wasnt concentrated point loads at the bolts. Also used rubber washers between any alum. and fiberglass to act as a shock absorber so i dont stress the fiberglass. Ive beat the snot out of this bracket out on Erie in some pretty rough waters and have no stress cracks or loose bolts (lock washers used as well) after a year of hard fishing. Always "over engineer" lol

Nippissing121.jpg

Nippissing059.jpg

Related - for future projects...A good source for metal products in the Whitby - Oshawa area is Metals Plus...industrial area not far from Home Depot south of 401. (Google for their web site) This week I built a transom addition and bought a couple of 1/8 inch 12" X 15" aluminum plates ($30)which I sandwiched over marine plywood with stainless steel bolts. Excellent service and they have samples of various thicknesses/ types etc. right in the office so you get a 'feel' for the material. They also have sheets of lexan and other plastics that would make good outer layers for the project in this thread.

Just mentioning as previously a forum member here helped me out by suggesting Peacock Lumber in Oshawa as a source for marine plywood on my pontoon boat project...never knew they existed! Thanks!

CLiff....

If you are still looking for aluminum, let me know. Ill see what I have at work when I get back on Tuesday.

If I have it....its yours (and I just live up the road :) )

Bill

EDIT: and if you need a hand with it pop me a PM. More than happy to lend a hand

Edited by bassboy