Top water bass lures

Marko

top water sure is fun, personally i rather fish topwater at night where your forced to set the hook by weight rather then site. it is super exciting to see a bass hammer a topwater lure during the day though.

as for speed of retrieve? it varies each day i find. you have to adjust to the fish.

cheers!

I bought a topwater last year but still wasn't able to catch a single fish with it :)

I only shore fishing... so perhaps there simply wasn't any fish to be had on some days. But there were a few days when there were fish jumping (feeding on something top water I'd guess) everywhere in front where I could see.... yet I took out the topwater and still not getting a bite.... kinda made me feel like an idiot lol.

My favourite right now is to put on a 5" grub in black with red flake and zip it along the top of the lilypads for buckets... just gotta get that patience down to feel the fish first.... nothing better than a topwater bass hit!!! I will also say chug bugs have worked excellent for me in the past.... I like the old perch pattern.... doesn't work as good since they changed it some years ago.

Early morning and evening are best. Some have caught during the day on topwaters, but for hte most part I'm sure everyone would agree that first and last 2 hrs of the day are best. Also when there's a change in environmnetal conditions (ie. before a storm).

ANd for those who haven't caught fish on topwaters -- would bet they fished during the day.

As for lures -- the rapala is great. Zara Spooks are by far my favourite. Fewer fish, but bigger (not sure why) and harder hits.

Also the small jitterbugs skittered across the surface (not just the pop-pop-pop jitter).

I like the Spro frogs (cast a mile) for heavy cover and a spook or jitterbug for more open spots.

Topwater is the most fun you can have on the water!

Topwater bass is cool but topwater muskie is heart stopping!!!!

Rapala minnows twitched on the surface have caught more than their share of big bass for me.

Large rubber frogs are also a great big bass bait, and will produce better during the day than most other topwaters.

Buzzbaits cover water quickly and have probably been my most consistent producers.

Zara spook juniors have produced well for me at times, as have tiny torpedos and a variety of poppers.

I find good topwater bites tend to be sporadic. Some days just aren't topwater days. Other days, you don't even need to move them before a bass takes them out. Don't write these baits off if you don't have success on them right away.

I fish topwater baits all day long doesn't matter if it's cloudy or sunny I'm addicted to them.I like Spooks,Jimmy's,Sammy's, Boyhowdy's,Dying Flutters, Devilshorse,Moss Boss's and Buzzbaits. I have some popper stlye baits but I don't seem to do as well on those. Colours don't matter as long as it has a white belly. I like to throw them on a baitcasting setup med/heavy rod and 20lb power pro. I'm hoping for light winds on Erie sat. for the opener. Last years opener was great no winds topwater bite was on all day I think I landed 60 smallies and can not guess at how many blowups I had. They are the most fun way to fish. Good luck to all fishing the opener.

Topwater is just like any presentation: sometimes it needs to be slow, sometimes fast. Sometimes colour doesn't matter, sometimes it does. Look at the classics...they are classic for a reason. My personal preference would be a prop (Tiny torpedo, Crippled shad), buzzbait, or a walk-the-dog (spook, sammy). For some reason, I am cursed when it comes to poppers.

My personal fave is the Excalibur(now Heddon) "Spittin' Image" in Shad colour. Have caught MANY bass, Musky, Walleye and my PB bluegill( was the size of a large dinner plate!!)

Only problem with them is you have to watch for seagulls Ospreys etc as they think they are real!

FT

Rapala always produces a quality lure. What I have been impressed with recently though is the Berkley Frenzy Popper. It seems to be able to cover tons of water. Whereas I am still relatively unexperienced myself, I feel a great deal of confidence in this lure. I generally start with a faster retrieve and then slow it down and mix it up to see what pattern is working for the conditions. The fish always like something, it's just a matter of figuring out what that is!