1. 1. *** Fishing Knot ***

• I tie Uni knots with Monofilament
    • I tie Uni Knots with Braid
    • Braid and mono no problemo
    • Never tried
    • Tried once and gave up
    • Use a snell knot instead
    • Uni What?!!

Just wondering how many members can tie this knot? The loops can be made along a hook shank just like a snell knot with one important difference.

After careful examination this knot looks perty hard to master.

It reminds me a lot of a snell knot, except the loops are performed inside as opposed to the outside of the inner loop as demonstrated below..

The Uni Knot

Edited by Clamp-It

Clamp,

I tie them on occasion but I find most of the time I go with the simplest knot possible. The palomar is my go to as I feel it provides the best knot strength - to - simplicity of tying value/ratio.

As for linking lines, I use the uni-to-uni 100% of the time when I tie a fluoro leader to my main line, which is either braid or fireline depending on the reel.

Interesting,

I use the uni-knot just about all the time and the uni-uni for attaching two lines, (leader/main).

Recently I have just noticed this and found that I use the palomar only for tying swivels.

I cant figure out why you think it is a difficult knot at all.....I suppose that if anyone has spent time on the rivers chasing steelies they know the amount of times you have to re-tie and it becomes second nature....For the most part i cant see squat without my glasses but can tie knots with ease.

I find it a very strong knot and for throwing $25-45 baits I like to make sure, (rarely use a snap.)

Sure curious as to the rest of the responses.

Good thread Clampit.

Its a great knot. I use it alot. If your find it hard, practice. You'll get the hang of it. One thing I like to do is run the line through the eye twice. They say it makes for a stronger knot. I assume it does. Its also great for attaching fluoro leaders to braid. Then you can use any length leader and reel it through you line guides. Get some cheap line and practice. Cheers.

I use it as my primary knot for most situations but it shines the most when it is used to tie your leader to your mainline. If you move the shank of the hook into the loop when you are tying it works as a perfect snell. I use it in place of a swivel when line twist is not a concern.

The uni is the only knot I need. I can tie one in the dark on a warm July night when the bass are exploding on top but it's pitch black out and my buddy has a 5 pounder on and the clouds have moved over the full moon while fishing my favourite Eastern Ontario back lake.

Uni knot isn't hard to tie. The mistake most folks make, after seeing those illustrations, is to "thread" the line end through the loop. I make the loop BIG - so that I am holding it open with both hands, and then it is super-easy. A properly tied palomar knot is stronger than a uni, but can't be used to tie a leader on.

The Uni isn't as strong as the Palomar, but is far easier to tie onto a lure with small eyes, and lures with multiple hooks.

It doesn't slip out of braid and as Singingdog pointed out, is very easy to tie if you make a big loop. I hold the two sides of the loop with the middle finger of each hand and work the tag end of the line with my thumbs and index fingers

I like the idea of two loops through the eye, and will be tying it that way from now on anytime I can get the line through the eye twice.

I use the uni to uni all the time joining braid to flouro and never had a knot fail yet.

As far as tying straight to lures palomar for braids and improved cinch and loop knot for mono & flouros.

Angler's practice casting don't know why they don't practice tying knots

Edited by Whopper

Ive heard fron several sources out there the polamar knot is the strongest knot out there and from experience I have straightened the hook on my jig heads and freeded my snag before the knot gave way on 6#test, easy to tie it works for me, line to line I use the surgeons knot ultra easy ultra strong, both knots are a little hard to tie at night without knowing where your line is but I really dont fish at night

After loosing a pile of steelhead on the Notty years ago I diid a similar search in the winter for the "best" knot. My testing wasn't too scientific, but it gave me a good comparison of all knots. I would carefully tie one knot on to one end of a swivel and then tie another knot to othe other end using the same line brand and test rating. I would wrap some line around the toe of my steel toe boot and then wrap the other line around my hand (yes I wore leather gloves). I'd stand up and an with a steady pull I'd pull until one of the two knots/lines broke. Eventually I would end up with the strongest knot. I repeated this many many time. Somewhere I have a numerical record of my findings (I just moved and I cn't find anything).

So here's what I use now based on the above experiments.

Line(10 lb mono or less) to hook/jig/snap - Orvis Knot

Heavy mono - Polamar Knot

Line to to leader (mono to mono or flor to mono all 10 lb or less) - Orvis tippet knot

Line to backing - Uni Knot

Braids -Uni knot with crazy glue

I rarely have a knot break off now, and I'n surprised when I does happen. I horse my fish in as quicky as I can so they can be released and I have confidence using the above knots. I find that with lighter lines that knot strength is the most important ling in the chain, while with braids and heaviery lines I can get away with almost any knot.

Since I move back to my home town and I drop by a local spot close to home each evening for an hours fishing, I often pull up a stick (beavers leave these behind) with a lure or two haging fron it with NO mono left on the lure. I use 6 lb Cortland mono (12 years old from a bulk spool) and I'm amazed that I can pull these branches out. My knots hold very well.

Alway use the knots/gear that give you confidence. I just got tired of loosing trophy fish because a knot would break.

All the best....muddler

You needed "Never Use Uni Because There Are Better, Simpler Knots" selection on your poll :D

To hook or bait -- My own sotized version of the Palomar with braid, simple clinch knot with mono

Leader/Mainline Mono -- Surgeon's Knot, doesn't get any simpler, made to be tied with one hand.

Braid To Mono -- Albright's knot