Lower Buck Report

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Me and Al(Snagmaster) decided to hit Lower buck for some easy Musky. Well it wasn't meant to be. We get there around 7:30 and on the ramp? My car wouldn't start. I had just got it back from the mechanic yesterday. Fixed a leak in the manifold and now it wont start!!!

Everybody offered their assistance. I had many people asking me if I needed a boost. I had a guy come with a power pack to boost my car,but nothing.....The owner from Sunrise offered to call a mechanic. And he helped me push my vehicle out of the way and launch my boat with his car. I also was fortunate to have a mechanic launching his boat. He offered his assistance and after checking it out, banged the starter and away it goes. They must have messed with the starter wiring.....

Anyways a big thanks to all the guys that offered their assistance.

We also seen Gary2r's there.

Anyways, we were off to a late start.....We started pounding the regular fall spots but nobody was home. I figured all these spots have probable been hit so I decided to go to not so obvious spots. Nothing... Alex is already talking about a skunk, but I'm still confident. Never fished this lake without catching at least 2 musky. But thats in the fall.....

We headed for Black duck bay and got lost. Alex sees some fresh weed growth in 4-6 FOW and says lets try here. He decided to put on a Musky killer. On his second cast? Smack!!!!He says he's got a musky on! I get the net! It surfaces and its a 27 inch 7+ lb pickerel!!!! Beautiful fish and the biggest pickerel I have seen pulled out of the Kawarthas other than in the fall(November).

Here she is.

Alspickerel002.jpg

We worked it a few more drifts but the wind AGAIN was Brutal.......Couldn't pick the place apart properly. Even with the drift sock we were flying by the spot. We should have anchored by Alex believes that big fish like that are loners. So we left the area.

Finally we got a decent fish on the board. We caught some small largies and panfish but nothing to write home about.

I worked an area and had something yellow take a swipe at my hook. I say its a pickeral or a crappie. Al says Crappie's aren't yellow. A cast later I get another follow. A puny pic or musky about 12 inches. A cast later? Mr.Crappie shows himself. Now I know there were more crappie holding on that shoreline but we were after Musky so we left.

Here is the Crappie.

Alspickerel008.jpg

At this point we are still trying to look for cover from the wind. I find an unlikely place but I say lets check it out. Its wind protected. Get a few hits but no hook-ups. Finally I get a hit and set the hook and its mr. pickeral. I bring him in and its abit over 2 lbs. And had a nice gash in its side.

Here it is.

Alspickerel007.jpg

So we are basically looking for shelter all day. Fished alot of water I wouldn't necessarily fish. After that Alex hooked a small musky about 22-24 inches. I also hooked a few 2-3 lb largies.(we seen guys fishing shallow with senko's.......)Alex hooked a few small largies and a smallie. We hooked lots of Jumbo perch.

We hit a few rocks and actually got beached on a shaol, AGAIN!! But miraculously my proppelar is untouched.

We seen HUGE carp cruising around. Lots of 20-30lbers.

The sun was blaring down on us so we called it a day. Got home with a nasty sunburn, worst I have had in decades!!!From now on I am wearing sunblock! I had it on the boat but never use it. Al was using it,so hopefully he is doing ok. I also had lots of water but somehow still managed to get dehidrated.....probably due to the fact I didn't sleep the night before because of air conditioning malfunction.

Over all it was another tough day of fishing with high winds. Al forgot his tackle box in his car, so he was limited to jigs and musky baits. I caught 99% of my fish on a white grub jigging pockets and Al caught his on the Musky killer. He also forgot his camera. Thats probably why he hooked that monster. Luckily I had my cheapo along with us.

Well thats it for today. Hope you enjoyed the report!

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys.

Ya definately gotta get me another one of those Musky Killers. The first one I snagged and the second one disappeared from my tackle box years ago. Probably snagged it also!

I bet cheapo do it yourself ones would work just as well! And I would probably just put a single hook on it to work it through the weeds!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks Mikeh. Lately I have been targeting more pickerel than anything else, and have been enjoying a lot of fish fries! :thumbsup_anim: I mostly threw out the white grub and concentrated very little on Musky.

Sorry to hear that weeds. When its that hot, you have to really work for your fish, unless its the morning bite or evening. We missed both but managed to do ok....

3 more weeks for bass season and the action will pick up big time!!! :clapping:

Great report JB and nice to see some pics with it! If you had posted that sunburn pic earlier, that would have made it into that video instead of the sunscreen...I suppose I could edit it and repost....LOL.

Great to hear all the help you had at the ramp....sure helped restore what was seemingly a disaster into a day of fishing. Nice pickeral and crappie!! Hope the sunburn heals quickly...I got a little more sun than I wanted to yesterday....I'm thinking sunscreen is a good idea next time out.

Thanks for the report!

Guest Johnny Bass

Ya Victor. It was a scorcher. The last 2 hours we devouted to Musky but it wasn't meant to be. The had already headed for the depths...

As far as the car? The Mechanic told me they fouled up the starter wire when putting in the manifold. Went back and complained and the guy was pretty scared and offered to give me my money back! :blink:

I couldn't do that to the poor guy. Since he did work many hours on it. But told him to have a look and clean up the starter(since it seems lots of oil was spilled all over the engine) and reconnect the wires.

My other so called buddies that reffered me to this guy insisted it was a starter and it was not the mechanics fault. And it was the starter 100%....

I told him it didn't sound like a starter problem but a connection problem.

We tried and the wire leading to the battery started to smoke! He fixed the wires, cleaned up the starter wires and took out the connection. Cleaned it up and guess what? It started. I'm just worried all the knocks I gave the starter didn't do too much damage. It went from looking new to pretty banged up. Oh well. It starts now.

Hey Cliff if you wanna edit it, I'd be honored to be in the video! Either way it was a great video. And yes, GOD BLESS, those people that came to offer a hand.

Hey HD. If you go to Lower buck targeting musky and its blue skies? Don't bother during the afternoon, stick with the pickeral. Either early morning or right before evening. Good Luck!!!

Hey HD. If you go to Lower buck targeting musky and its blue skies? Don't bother during the afternoon, stick with the pickeral. Either early morning or right before evening. Good Luck!!!

Will do! Eyes should be doing in Sandy... I've caught them even a high noon. I'll make the cross-over if the condtions are right though. I've never caught a musky!! :wallbash:

Thanx bud

HD

Guest Johnny Bass
Will do! Eyes should be doing in Sandy... I've caught them even a high noon. I'll make the cross-over if the condtions are right though. I've never caught a musky!! :wallbash:

Thanx bud

HD

Head to Lower Buck in the fall and fish the North side and it is guaranteed!