River Creature

ironstone74

I was fishing with my two of my sons this afternoon in the Conestogo river in Conestoga and we caught some type of lizard. It was 6-7 inches long, was coloured purple and black, did not have any teeth, and had 4 legs and a tail. Anyone know what this was??? I have fished around Kitchener and Waterloo for 20 years and I have never seen anything like this.

If it was that big then I'd say it was a mudpuppy. Did it have gills on the outside of its body? Go to google.ca and select images and type in mudpuppy and see if that looks like it. I saw one float by me on the Bayfield river a month ago. I thought it was a bullhead until I saw legs.

Yes, Smalliefisher it looked like a Mudpuppy. It did not have the red skirting behind the ears, but that may be only present on one of the genders or maybe at this stage of life. Thanks guys for all the tips!

My 5 year old called it a "Manchobie" I'm not sure where he got that from but I told him I would look it up for him!

Catching a mudpuppy has proven to be a first for all 3 of us today.

Paul

All salamanders have gills at early stages in life. Some keep gills into adult-hood.

Next time you catch a mudpuppy, hook it through the lips like a minnow and cast it to largies on opening day...

Edited by BabyHerc