Windy spring and drift socks....

ccmtcanada

I'm not sure if it's worse this year or not....maybe I didn't pay much attention before because I didn't have a boat, but it seems that almost every weekend I want to head out in the boat, the winds are howling! That wont stop me from fishing necessarily, but I want to be able to have better boat control when it's windy.

I've gone back and read threads about drift socks, but wanted some opinions....

Here's some relevant info (I hope).

• We fish the Kawarthas....mostly Scugog because of how close it is, but would like to explore many others this year.
  • I have a 14 foot tinny, with an 18hp motor....so the package does not weigh a whole lot

Ok...the questions....

• How many drift socks should be deployed? I've read articles that show 2 for best control. If you deploy only one, how do you find it?
  • If I go the 1 drift sock route....would you get a 30 or 36" one? Even bigger? Most info I read said for a 14 footer, no need to go larger than 36"
  • If I go the 2 drift sock route, should I get the two smaller ones so that the drift isn't too slow?

Anyhow, thanks for your patience....this fishing from a boat thing is new to us!

It's not just you, it's been freakin windy. Get a drift sock. Really easy to use. I also attach mine to a climbing loop webbing that is about 3 feet long. Get's the sock out in a nice postion. Using locking carabiners to hold it. I would say get the 36, especcially if it can be adjusted at the closed end for drift control. I am usually by myself so I only use one. It's amazing how much they can slow you down and how easy they are to use.

Hey Cliff! I don't know what ever happened to the old saying about the month of March coming in like a lion and goes out like a lamb... but it aint happening here! The winds have just now started to die down some here.

I've been using my drift sock quite a bit down here this past winter and spring, but am still pretty much a newb at it. Drift socks can do a real good job at slowing you down, but can be aggravating to use at times too. I had 2 and tried using both at the same time but that was too aggravating and not worth the trouble. If the wind is a constant blow out of one direction they're pretty easy to use. If the wind is variable, the drift sock can be a pivot to blow you around in circles. I use mine on a longer rope (20-30') and attach it to the transom because I fish directly under the boat. I think the soud of the water rushing thru the sock can spook the fish. If I was dragging a line behind the boat I would shorten the rope as much as possible and still keep the sock "full". One sock attached to one side of the transom will give you kind of a "diagnal" drift wich will put the wind blowing on the side of the boat that the sock is attached to and won't slow you down as much as you would think. I compensate for this by using the electric trolling motor to "straighten" the boat out so the wind is eith at my back (preferable) or in my face. With the wind blowing at your back, the wind will have less surface area on your boat to push you with and trolling motor power use will be minimal. With the wind in your face, trolling motor power will be greater... but you'll have better control over the boat and be able to make a straight line run better than without a sock. Especially in variable winds. The trolling will also help keep the sock "full" incase the wind dies for a few minutes.

I'd go with the 36" or bigger, but 36 oughtta do well on your boat.

Now one important aspect you may have overlooked is drift sock color! I bought a blue one because it was cheap and on sale, if I had to do it over again... I think I'd go with a Perch or Shad pattern!!! Hang a treble hook off the end of that bad boy and you could prolly get a couple Mucksies or a big Pike!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Maybe you should start a poll on the board as to which drift sock color people prefer? ;)

Hey Cliff,

I'm looking at a drift sock too. I'm supposedto pickup my new ride this weekend. Before I had a 12' tin with a 9.9 honda 4S. It trolled slow enough and quiet enough that I didn't have to worry about kickers. The new boat will have a honda 40HP, and elctric bow mount. Mike the Pike is trying to convince me that I need a 2 - 4HP kicker. I can't justify having 3 motors on a 16' boat. Even if I did decide to get one, I don't think that the boss would let me spend the extra money.

I'm going to Thomas Marine tonight. They have a good selection of drift socks. Maybe some professional advise will help me choose the right one.

Hey Cliff,

I'm looking at a drift sock too. I'm supposedto pickup my new ride this weekend. Before I had a 12' tin with a 9.9 honda 4S. It trolled slow enough and quiet enough that I didn't have to worry about kickers. The new boat will have a honda 40HP, and elctric bow mount. Mike the Pike is trying to convince me that I need a 2 - 4HP kicker. I can't justify having 3 motors on a 16' boat. Even if I did decide to get one, I don't think that the boss would let me spend the extra money.

I'm going to Thomas Marine tonight. They have a good selection of drift socks. Maybe some professional advise will help me choose the right one.

I slow troll by throwing my sock off the bow (with an extra line for safety). I have a 50 on a 17 footer.

I might be popping in there as well tonight Glenn. See Jean-Simon in parts, upstairs. He'll steer you right.

Hey Cliff,

You don't need a kicker and neither does Mike, learn to utilize your bowmounts... or I'll come up there and take them away from y'all! ;)

Everyone seems to do it different with drift socks. I tie mine off bow and stern. This way you can adjust the length of either rope to position your boat the way you want it, and somewhat control the direction your drift. If I'm drifiting too fast, I'll adjust the lines so I drift on an angle to the wind......I find there's less boat in the wind if your angled, so you don't go as fast.

If its that windy, I'll troll. I hate fighting the wind.

Sinker

Cliff, I bought this one about 4 years ago and have only used it a few times so it's still like new and if you want it, it's yours, just PM me your address.

I think it's 34" wide and I also made up a float on a rope to keep it on the surface if you loose it for whatever reason.

It's just sitting in the boat collecting dust if you can put it to good use..

I'll be back from the lake on Sunday and can have it in the mail to you Monday morning.

93523.jpg

Never a fan of socks , I use the electric for boat control - I thought thats what it was for- never understood why some call them trolling motors ?"? never trolled with mine but its great for boat control and with 70 lbs thrust holds me in most winds , if it will not hold my in position the lakes to rough to fish anyway

Cliff, I bought this one about 4 years ago and have only used it a few times so it's still like new and if you want it, it's yours, just PM me your address.

I think it's 34" wide and I also made up a float on a rope to keep it on the surface if you loose it for whatever reason.

I'll be back from the lake on Sunday and can have it in the mail to you Monday morning.

Wow Lew...thanks! PM Sent....

And to everyone else...thanks a lot for your suggestions and tips...will be trying them out for sure!

glennK, white buckets have more uses than just the for "the brigade". tie one (or two) on to the rear cleats throw 'em overboard and they'll slow your troll down. we use them on a 90 4-stroke to get us down in speed. you can see one floating in this pic

laker1.jpg

Edited by Raf

I bought one last year and kinda have a love/hate thing with it. I like fishing precise pieces of structure on shoals, rock piles, etc. I will occasionally drift flats.

Often it is too windy to use the trolling motor alone, and the sock does slow ya down. But it can be a pain in the rear at times. I like to use one marker to ID the structure I want to fish, usually drifting with a worm harness. I'll try a few drifts with the sock so I have an idea where I'm going in relation to the structure, and then I'll drop off a marker in the general area I need to routinely start at for a good drift. This can be quite a ways from your actual structure. I have a Cabela's model with lead on one side and foam on the other to help it deploy, and it usually deploys well, but it is a pain with the constant sock in the water, drift, pull it in, move the boat, throw it back in again, etc. But it does work magic on certain days. Once it's in the water, I'll use the trolling motor to fine tune the drift. I've already put it thru the boat propellor once.

Cabela's, and I think Bass Pro ,have charts on their sites for sizing. Go on the big side. I couldn't imagine working two at once, it would be a pain. I bought the strap that matches the sock (it comes at a reduced price if you by the sock) and it has an orange float on the rope which is a must have feature if you need to quickly release the sock.

If your not sure about the money, I'd jump at Lew's offer, give it a go, and see what you think. I'm glad I have mine, but it's an occasional use item. Andy

Edited by Andy

glennK, white buckets have more uses than just the for "the brigade". tie one (or two) on to the rear cleats throw 'em overboard and they'll slow your troll down. we use them on a 90 4-stroke to get us down in speed. you can see one floating in this pic

laker1.jpg

hmmm.. white bucket.. a cheaper solution.. maybe i should give that a try..lol

~~~I have 2 and use both quite often, I 'm also on the Bog quite often, and they keep me in the zone longer, with the wind blown, I've used mine down on the BOQ for speed control, on Simcoe I use both when looken for Whities, that are active then anchour up, and again with Perch in Oct.

Picked up a 36 inch two weeks ago... best purchase for the boat in some time.

Slows it right down.

This past Sunday with the wind direction I was able to get over weededges perfectly.

Light bite still.

Winds too strong today hoping for tomorrow after work as the weekend sounds like a write-off.

I tie it to the stern on a five foot length of rode as the instructions read and it works great.

Have a heavy fibreglass boat so you may be able to get away with a smaller diameter sock Cliff for your tinny.

Hey when are you coming up to give the tri-lakes a shot?

Just like Raf, we use buckets, either old 2-3 gallon paint/drywall ones cleaned out thoroughly, or a wash bucket from CTC like below.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...fromSearch=true

Tie a rope on both sides of the plastic handle, with about 12 ft. of rope (ends up to be 6 ft. long), put on a stainless quick snap(from CTC :lol: )

to hook onto the bow eye, and you are good to go. You can hook it up midships if there is somewhere to hook it to also. We mostly backtroll, but in really windy conditions, even off the bow, with the motor still running, we can pop it in and out of gear to control the boat on a sideways drift.

Added bonus, when you are finished fishing, your anchor and line, and a few other small things, can be dumped into the bucket for carrying/transportation.

93523.jpg

Sweet score Cliff and good on ya for the donation Lew - We used the exact same one on a 20-some odd foot bass boat on Erie a couple of weeks ago and it worked great...i'm sure it'll be plenty for your tinny Cliff...

cheers,

UF