Grocery assistance

chet

I am in need of assistance from any of you. We are scheduled to go to Elk Lake , Ontario in July. This will be our first trip to this area of Canada. In part of our planning several questions have arisen, which some of you could possibly help. We are coming from Ohio so crossing the border will be one of our tasks. This does not concern us for we all have passports and are perfectly legal. After we cross the border we would like to pick up our beer for the week. Where we are going there will not be a liquor store nearby. Is there somewhere in Windsor that we could purchase beer? We plan on crossing near midnight, this probably poses a problem.

Due to the laws we will also need a grocery store where we can buy our vegetables.

Our travel will take us through several other cities as well. If our planned schedule takes us as we hope Toronto near 4 or 5am. Huntsville shortly after that, North Bay, Marten River, Temagami, Latchord, and New Liskeard. If any of these places have a liquor store and a grocery store that we could visit either real late at night or early in the morning we would like to know. Again, thanks for any help that you may provide.

P.S. I do not care if gas is $50 a litre I will be fishing in Canada one week a summer until the day I die. This is the one week a year I look forward to year after year and I will not be deprived of it!

i believe the latest beer/liquor stores close is 11pm in select locations, and earliest they open is about 10am. toronto has plenty of 24hr grocery stores.

i'd check www.lcbo.com or www.thebeerstore.ca . any of those places you mentioned along your route will have one or both.

Edited by Raf

if your in toronto by 4-5 am then huntsville by 6-7 am north bay by 7:30-8:30am temagami by8:30-9:30am...lcbo opens at 10:00am in temagami..right across the street from the lcbo is a grocery store..so by the time your done shopping for your groceries ..the lcbo will be open...kill two walleye with one hook...or was that two birds with one stone???? ..but like the last post said new liskard for sure if your running a little too early for temagami..

chet,

ok when you leaving in july? im going up to elk lake on the 23,maybe we will be in the same camp. been going for years. elk lake has a lcbo on the edge of town. you also can bring it across the border too. i believe 1 case per person, i usually bring 2 and they have never had an issue. depends on where you are staying, but matachewan also has a beer store. shoot me a pm, and i can give u some info of the area.

jason

Thanks guys for the great information. We already know the border crossing rules that is why I had to ask where to buy more alcohol, the allowed amount isn't enough for the week stay we are scheduled for. It has never been enough since we all have been legal age.

Anyone have any good fishing advice about the eagle lake area or the Montreal River?

I can't help you with the Montreal River chet, but I CAN tell you there's a great little boat dealer in Elk Lake if you happen to have any motor problems up that way.

We were fishing near Gowganda about 10 years back and I'd borrowed a friends very old electric troll motor for our trip and I busted the prop off on the 1st day. I figured I was outta luck, cause surley nobody would have parts for an ancient motor way up there in the boonies, but someone suggested the guy in Elk Lake may have something. We made the drive into town, located the dealer and told him what I need. He went into the back room and came back out with EXACTLY the prop I needed :thumbsup_anim:

My fish'n trip was saved by a very friendly & helpful guy and I only wish I could remember the name of the dealership so I could give him a free plug, but he was the only boat place in town, infact for many miles around, so he'll be easy to find if you need anything.

Best of luck on your trip.

I am in need of assistance from any of you. We are scheduled to go to Elk Lake , Ontario in July. This will be our first trip to this area of Canada. In part of our planning several questions have arisen, which some of you could possibly help. We are coming from Ohio so crossing the border will be one of our tasks. This does not concern us for we all have passports and are perfectly legal. After we cross the border we would like to pick up our beer for the week. Where we are going there will not be a liquor store nearby. Is there somewhere in Windsor that we could purchase beer? We plan on crossing near midnight, this probably poses a problem.

Due to the laws we will also need a grocery store where we can buy our vegetables.

Our travel will take us through several other cities as well. If our planned schedule takes us as we hope Toronto near 4 or 5am. Huntsville shortly after that, North Bay, Marten River, Temagami, Latchord, and New Liskeard. If any of these places have a liquor store and a grocery store that we could visit either real late at night or early in the morning we would like to know. Again, thanks for any help that you may provide.

P.S. I do not care if gas is $50 a litre I will be fishing in Canada one week a summer until the day I die. This is the one week a year I look forward to year after year and I will not be deprived of it!

Dunno if this is mentioned by someone else, but consider buying your beer at the Duty Free when you cross, unless you're stocking up on other libations. It's only about $17/24 cans right now which is great compared to the in-province price.

Post note: I see others already mentioned this. Sorry.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Based on your schedule Toronto 4-5am you''l find a decent liquor/beer store right on the main drag in Temagami. Probabl. Once you hit town look for the grocery store on your left hand side in the middel of town. Liquor store right next to it.

Next stop would be New Liskerd both beer and liquor store there too. Beer store is just off #65 and #11

There is a Liquor store/beer store combo in Elk Lake too! Just off of Lake street as you come into town

Go to google maps and type in Beer store or Liquor Store and location Elk Lake Ontario or Temagami. They provide the phone numbers so you can call ahead and check hours.

The one in Temagami stocks a fair bit of cans which is the choice by far for fly in or fihs camps. Takes up less space, more beer per unit and after 6 you get to crush them on your head.