Lost my vallet

Marko

Hey guys

I think i lost my wallet yesterday, there wasn't any cash in it, some change but i lost all my documents.

First thing I did was phone CIBC and have them block my visa and my convinence card.

Other important stuff that was in my wallet was:

Fishing license, with the outdoors card

Drivers license

Health card

Social security card

Proof of citizenship card

How does one start replacing all these cards?

Is there an order in which you must do it.

When i talked to the lady at cibc she kept on telling me that i will need two pieces of ID to get a new card, If all is gone how am i going to show her id`s haha.

Just does not make sense.

I am pretty sure replacing drivers licence and the health card will cost money and i can not pay without my Debit card, and i cant get the debit card without id`s.

Its a loop but there has got to be a way out of it.

Thank you

Edited by Marko

I lost mine 2 years ago. If it wasn't for my birth certificate, I don't know how I would have done it.

I got my license first, and went from there. It took a long time.

Outdoors card is easy.......go to service canada and get a replacement. Drivers office for license. Its gonna cost a few bucks and a few grey hairs to get it all back. It sucks.

Sinker

Hey guys

I think i lost my wallet yesterday, there wasn't any cash in it, some change but i lost all my documents.

First thing I did was phone CIBC and have them block my visa and my convinence card.

Other important stuff that was in my wallet was:

Fishing license, with the outdoors card

Drivers license

Health card

Social security card

Proof of citizenship card

How does one start replacing all these cards?

Is there an order in which you must do it.

When i talked to the lady at cibc she kept on telling me that i will need two pieces of ID to get a new card, If all is gone how am i going to show her id`s haha.

Just does not make sense.

I am pretty sure replacing drivers licence and the health card will cost money and i can not pay without my Debit card, and i cant get the debit card without id`s.

Its a loop but there has got to be a way out of it.

Thank you

Because you lost a federal document (SIN card) you have to go to your local police station and report it...you fill out a form that gets sent to the government to avoid identity theft

just remember, if you plan on crossing the border into the US by land or sea, proof of citizenship is now required (as of Jan 31 - unless you have a valid passport). in order to get a passport (ie. to fly to the US) you will need your proof of citizenship as well.

ohh, and what fishnautographs said also applies to your citizenship card.

Edited by Raf

We seldom need to have to present our social insurance cards to anyone, same as birth certificates or other personal documentation other than Ohip, drivers license or fishing license that TV and radio newscasts are advising us to leave these in a safe place other than our wallets. If you don't need it don't carry it, memorize your SIN # and any others if you can. I now no longer carry unnecessary documents with me.

I think the advise makes sense, it is too easy to loose a wallet or have it stolen and at least if this should happen then there is less to have to worry about and you will still have at least some proof of who you are if it happens.

I wish you a speedy return of everything.

i no longer carry

ahhh great!!

Good news just keep on comming :wallbash:

Thank you guys

Good Luck Bud,

I lost my wallet about 17 years ago, i still don't have a SIN card...

luckily all that was lost was my library card, health card, and SIN card...

and $5 (i was 13 at the time...)

ever since then i do a wallet check constantly, i'm always patting my back pocket, almost looks as if i'm groaping myself...

I lost mine as well; I didin't really lose it, I threw it away, got in between two newspapers on the coffee table and went into the recycle :wallbash::wallbash: :wallbash:

I always have a copy/scan all my wallet contents, cards etc. (front and back) so cancelling and replacing was a breeze.

Dang wallet was expensive, I have the recycle plant looking out for it . . . good luck!

If fall in wrong hands, you have provide all the information for an identity theft. In addition to what other suggested also alert all three credit bureaus about your lost and ask them not to issue any further credit/credit reports without your permission.

Ok, I've been through this with my cousin recently. You can go to Service Canada and you'll get a replacement S.I.N. card within 2 weeks, you can replace your Birth Certificate online, it's 35 dollars, Health Card was issued on the spot after he had his Birth Certificate, and two other pieces of idea, I think one with an address on it....all in all it was fairly painless....but then most of it was done in Barrie where it's not too busy.

Good luck

Maureen

Sorry to hear that, what a pain...

I 2nd calling the Police for a report then at least it's been reported. Especially if it happens to turn up at a crime scene somewhere :o

Most will do it over the phone now so you can do it from home. Just try to have the numbers of the cards if possible.

Anyway here's a link with most of the information you will need for contact numbers and forms..

http://www.gov.on.ca/ont/portal/!ut/p/...en?docid=004418

Edited by caper

I`ve gone to police and filed a report today.

Lady that worked there told me to take the report number to ministry of transportation and show them my older drivers licence, i never got rid of it when i got it renewed, and that i should be able to get a new one.

Then i phoned a number I found on the government site to renew my SIN card and this lady told me that i have to get my proof of citizenship done before i ask for a replacement SIN card.

As for the bank, all accounts are canceled and nobody tried to use any of my cards, best news of the day, and i have to go to the bank and hopefully i can show them my personal checks and my old debit card, one before the chip ones came out, and my license to get my debit card back.

Visa, i just have to phone them apparently and they`ll send me a new one in mail, that seems easy.

When i get all of my ID`s in order i am making copies of everything and keeping it in a folder somewhere, there is just too much hassle to get it all done.

Thank you for replies and help guys!!

Edited by Marko

Sorry to hear that, what a pain...

I 2nd calling the Police for a report then at least it's been reported. Especially if it happens to turn up at a crime scene somewhere :o

Most will do it over the phone now so you can do it from home. Just try to have the numbers of the cards if possible.

Anyway here's a link with most of the information you will need for contact numbers and forms..

http://www.gov.on.ca/ont/portal/!ut/p/...en?docid=004418

Thanks for that link. I sure gonna bookmark that link.

I too think I should start leaving certain cards at home.

Which cards can I keep a photo-copy of and use it as a valid ID when in case of emergency ?

I am guessing SIN card? since it's just simple numbers?

I have a health card with photo, in case of emergency... will it be possible to just give my health card # and get health care service from hospital ? (Providing that I do have my driver's license)

I guess I don't really need to carry my Citizenship card (photo is like 10+years old anyways. Do I need to update my photo?)

Which cards can I keep a photo-copy of and use it as a valid ID when in case of emergency ?

All you need to carry is:

• Drivers license
  • Health card/Ohip
  • If you are going fishing the fishing license
  • if operating watercraft then take that card too

You do not need to carry citizenship card, birth certificate, unused or unnecessary credit cards, passport, SIN card (memorize it not difficult to do) leave these at home in a locked safe secure box or safe with no identifying label on it as what is inside.

Also as for SIN I have never been asked to show it for a job or when applying for credit. You only need to know the number.