Overnight Carp'in Trip (14 pix)

Victor

On Friday night, MJL, Wolfville and I decided to head out east for some carp fishing. It's been a while since we have fished and chilled at the bankside together. MJL and I got to the swim at around 9pm, wolfville has already dropped his rig into the water and had a line bump while we were setting up ... seemed like a good sign.

In the next 6 hours or so, it's pretty much Wolfville-the-old-man showing us how to catch a carp and the young boys taking the role of netboy and camera man. <_< I'll let the pics do the talking ...

First few of the night ...

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

MJL figured that he doesn't want to be outfished and lands his first of the night

IMG_4171.jpg

Wolfville quickly responses and lands this one

IMG_4172.jpg

Just when MJL and I think wolfville has landed his fair share of fish ... he brings this in ...

IMG_4173.jpg

His new PB @ 29lbs and 35in, here's another look after he cleans her up

IMG_4175.jpg

After releasing that fish, wolfville has decided that he has landed enough and he should probably be a good husband and head home. Originally MJL and I had plans to head up to peterborough for more carp action, however I was too tired to drive and action stayed somewhat consistent so we opt to stay.

Shortly after wolfville took off, MJL brought this one in...

IMG_4176.jpg

Up till this point, i haven't had much of a line bump or a hit while the other two guys has gotten bumps consistently. At exactly 4am, the sweet sound of my alarm finally came on. You would have no idea how excited I was ... after a decent fight my first carp of 2008 was netted.

IMG_4178.jpg

yeah i'm in pretty bad shape after waking up at 6am the earlier morning for work and having to soldier out the cold :blush:

This fish was honoured to be my first of 08. He was so excited that he left some of its milt on MJL's net.

It seemed that the fish has started to feed more all of a sudden and MJL landed this one not long after

IMG_4180.jpg

Everything died off after that, but the two of us got a chance for a quick nap. At 6:45am, we had a double header but MJL's fish took him into some snags and got loose. In a way it worked out better because my net was still in the car and his net was really far from me. :thumbsup_anim:

IMG_4182.jpg

Moments later a nice suprise came for MJL, an absolutely stunning mirror carp.

IMG_4185.jpg

This fish deserves a close up

IMG_4188.jpg

I don't think anyone would call this one ugly eh?

As the sun came up rain started to come down and action completely stopped, we left at around 11 30am.

All in all, wolfville landed 6-7, MJL landed 8 and I landed 2. They're all in the 12-20lb range with the except of wolfville's big girl. It was loads of fun and we gotta do it again sometime soon.

Edited by Victor

Wow, awesome stuff! Has Wolfville extended my invite to you guys yet? You're all welcome to get the heck down here for some big carp and different scenery. 29lbs - at my spot you can beat that!

Awesome stuff though. I often wondered about carp fishing at night. I've done it a few times with limited success. Guess I shouldn't pack the corn away after dark so soon anymore.

Next time you round up the boys, head down this way though, seriously - before they're gone!

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. Sounds like you guys had a great time with a lot of scrappy carp! Looks really cold. You guys are 2 hardcore fisherman!

Good job guys. That's a nice haul for a night's fishing. Congrats to all three of you for sticking at it - you look freezing.

Congrats to MJL on a 'rare' Ontario Mirror Carp.

YOu buddy are hardcore...surprised you napped at briefly just before sunrise. Lots of nice big fish! Far better then looking at those welterweight bows and walleye on the other weekend reports. :devil:

Great report Victor...I'm guessing we'll be doing something similar on Saturday at the carping g2g :Gonefishing:

Moment of the night was when CCMT and Bly came by for a quick visit. Bly described a log which couldn't be seen in the dark close to the far bank.

Bly "There's a log over there that is excellent for holding fish"

MJL "That's not good, I casted over there"

Bly "That's great, that log holds fish underneath it"

MJL "No, I mean I think I casted over it [the log]"

I finally got to Christen my new carp rod/baitrunner combo...A graduation present I got for myself. We gotta do it again sometime this year. Road trip anyone?

Thanks everyone!

Wow, awesome stuff! Has Wolfville extended my invite to you guys yet? You're all welcome to get the heck down here for some big carp and different scenery. 29lbs - at my spot you can beat that!

Awesome stuff though. I often wondered about carp fishing at night. I've done it a few times with limited success. Guess I shouldn't pack the corn away after dark so soon anymore.

Next time you round up the boys, head down this way though, seriously - before they're gone!

Thanks for the invite Rich. We gotta figure out a time and take you up on that offer!

Wow, what an awesome report Victor . And it does look cold out there too. You guys should bring a tent next time and set it up to nap in and block the wind.

And why does MJL always get the mirror? I have seen mirrors but have yet to land one.

dsn

Great report Victor. Congrats on the 35"er Wolfville. MJL that certainly is a pretty carp. I haven't seen any mirrors in the Grand in my area. Did you ever catch any Victor last year when you where in Waterloo?

I haven't caught my first mirror ... definitely looking forward to that though.

From what I heard from others, it seems that the lower Grand has alot of them.