Compass Help

Hey everyone,

I need to buy a compass and have no clue what to get. Are there important features that I need to look out for? Is there a particular brand that I should buy? I want to use it as a back up to my GPS unit and sometimes I will use it.......well just because I want to learn this "skill".

All expertise is greatly appreciated as always!

Thank you in advance!

The Silva Ranger models are excellent compasses. Get one with an adjustable declination on it so you can set it and get true north. The ones with the flip up mirrors on them are nice for taking bearings over long distances as well as it allows you to site in on the target and read the compass as well very easily.

Edited by JohnAB

The key is learning how to use it and trusting what it tells you.

That reminds me of a time once.., there was this heavy fog, an me an the guy's were camped on Garden Island, so we decided to make the short (1/2 mile) boat ride to Pickerel Rock to do some Walleye fishing, so off I go, I have the compass on the boat seat, and take my final bearings, then slowly motor into the fog...

John AB is correct all the way. Suunto is also good too. If you PM me, I can get you some military lesson ( UnProtected) plans on the Map amd Compass including how to set declination. I will need your Email address as they are in Power Point and I think thats the only way I can send them to you.

You can purchase a Silva compass at Mountain Equipment Co-op.

Today, The Silva Group consists of the parent company Silva Sweden AB together with its subsidiaries Silva Ltd. in the United Kingdom, Silva France, Silva Deutschland, Silva Far East, and The Brunton Company (Brunton, Inc.) in the USA and Canada. Because Johnson Outdoors Inc. owns the Silva brand name in North America, Silva Sweden AB compasses and other products are sold under the Brunton and Nexus labels in that market.

You might consider the Brunton Elite TDCL model at $55