Out in the country.

Big Cliff

The things you see when you live in the country:

I just walked out onto our back deck with my morning coffee and there in the yard was a beautiful red fox. We did have quite a few rabbits around here this winter but they have been getting scarcer and scarcer these last few weeks. Guess I know why now.

Andy had left one of his rawhide bones sitting out there and the fox came up and snatched it then ran over behind the neighbours spruce tree and started chewing on it. I snuck back into the house to get my camera but I couldn't get a very good picture of it because if the tree. Anyway, it only stayed a few seconds then took off with the rawhide.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting ready to go turkey hunting and about 3:00 am had stepped out onto the deck when I heard a really strange noise, now I've spent most of my life in the bush and I've seen and heard just about every animal that is around these parts but this was unlike anything I have ever heard before.

It came down between our house and the neighbours on the other side of the cedar trees about 30-40' away from me. I thought about trying to get my camera but was afraid that any noise or movement might scare it and I was hoping to get a really good look at it if it came far enough down the yard to where our outside lights shine on the neighbours lawn. I wasn't sure until after but it was a couger. As soon as it got down wind of me it stopped and then vanished into the night. When I talked to my neighbour the next morning, the noise had wakened him and he turned on his outside light and saw it coming down his driveway. He wasn't sure what he had seen until we started comparing notes. MNR might claim there aren't any cougers in the area but I can assure you, there is at least one.

I wouldn't doubt that Cliff.

There have been a few spotted around Janettville as well. My buddy has some property there, and we've seen the tracks.

They are one elusive critter, so seeing one is like being struck by lightening.

You have a trail camera? Might be a good time to set it up!

Sinker

Guest gbfisher

I saw one a few years back up toward Coldwater. It had been seen by other people as well.

Sure makes ya think when yer out hunting. Are ya hunting or are ya the hunted? Not one who likes being a part of the food chain. :D

danbo, this was much too big to be a bobcat or lynx. I can't prove one way or the other what it was but when my neighbour saw it, he thought he was looking at a big wolf it was that big, he never even thought it might be a cougar, mind you it was 3:00 am LOL and he might have had a drink or two the night before but what ever it was it was large. It might have been almost anything but my best guess based on my experience and what my neighbour saw was that it was a cougar. I talked to a friend that owns a farm about a mile from here and he told me he has seen tracks that he believed were a cougar but when he called MNR, they basically brushed him off. There isn't much that can make the hair on my neck stand up but this sure did LOL.

Not one who likes being a part of the food chain.

He who carries a big gun.LOL

Cliff ,I seen one on the way to pops place last year. Huntsville area,side of the road. Probly looking for road kill.LOL

Edited by misfish