Bumper crop of eating sized walleye for Lake Nipissing

kickingfrog

Article in the North Bay paper about this years fishing.

Link:

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e...h=Brandi+Cramer

Copy/Paste:

'Phenomenal' fishing; Anglers, bait dealers counting down to walleye season

Posted By Brandi Cramer

Posted 1 hour ago

Tammie Pecore's shopping list Tuesday included worms.

Pecore says she's "hardcore" when it comes to angling - her wedding ring has fish engraved on it - and was buying bait to entice splake. "Damn right I am looking forward to a weekend of fishing," she said. "It's relaxing, it's freedom and peace of mind and you get outdoors."

The good news for Pecore is if the Ministry of Natural Resources is right, this fishing season could be one to remember.

Walleye season is set to open Saturday at 12:01 a.m. and Mike Regis, district enforcement supervisor with the ministry, predicts it will be "phenomenal."

"There were a lot of 12- to 15-inchers last year," he said. "They will have grown and will be great in the frying pan this year."

Richard Rowe's analysis of data for the past two years shows the same thing.

A biologist with Nipissing First Nation's natural resources department, Rowe said there will be a lot of "catchable fish."

"Walleye fishing goes up and down based on strong year classes," he said.

A strong year class occurs when conditions are perfect during the spawning season.

"It takes three years to grow a perfect frying pan-size fish," Rowe said.

In 2005, conditions were perfect with high water levels, a warm and stable spring, and a long growing season.

Advertisement

"We had a good summer that year. That means there is lots for walleye to eat and once they get by the first winter, survival rates are very high," Rowe said.

Bob Esch, owner of Trout Lake Bait and Canoe, expects Lake Nipissing will be "super busy" this weekend judging by how much his phone has been ringing.

"I am definitely not going fishing," he said, but he will ensure "hundreds if not thousands" have the right tools.

His business is kept viable by catering to different species including splake and rainbow trout.

But the start of walleye season Saturday will open the flood gates.

"We will start getting extra busy Thursday morning," Esch said, adding his store hours are long - "sun up to sun down."

He is ready with a healthy supply of shiners, chubs, dace, worms and leeches, as well as tackle.

And for those uncertain of what to put on their lines, Esch is more than willing to offer guidance.

"If it's a cold spring and the water stays cold, a minnow is the best way to go. If it warms up - worms and leeches," he said.

Rowe also had tips for anglers planning to catch and release.

"Play the fish quickly, handle it quickly and in the water," he said.

Regis reminds eager anglers to measure catches carefully to avoid violating any regulations.

And if you planned on having a few cold ones - do it on shore.

"Booze and boating don't mix," Regis said. "If you have (alcohol) in the boat we have the authority to charge you.

"The key message is be safe and have fun."

[email protected]

know the rules

Things you should know:

- Lake Nipissing slot size for walleye is 40 to 60 centimetres, while on Trout

Lake the slot size is 43 to 60 centimetres.

- Lake Nipissing does not have a sturgeon season.

- Lake trout and salmon is open on Trout Lake June 21 to 27

- Muskie season on Lake Nipissing opens June 21 to Dec. 15

Bass species is open throughout Fishing Management Zone 11 June 28 to Dec. 31

- Walleye is open on the Ottawa River May 16 to Dec. 31 - a week later than usual.

- On the Ottawa River and Lake Timiskaming from May 16 to June 15, all walleye must be less than 40 centimetres. After June 15 there is no size limit.

- Anglers are advised to check the Fishing Regulations Summary.

On the web: www.ontario.ca/fishing

I will have to agree with this. i was out almost every weekend over the winter, and caught a lot of smaller fish. The only problem with this is more people will keep more fish as they do not fall into the slot size.

Not really sure where that is Mike.. If I had a VHF we could be in contact... (Soon enough I will have one)

If you feel like making the trek from Callader Bay Look for a Beige Polar Kraft or a Sea Swirl (Bit of a haul though LOL) we will more then likely be West of the Bumble Bee Channel Marker.

Have a great opener Mike!

G

When are you leaving Gerritt?? Kids and I are heading up to the French River leaving at 2am Friday morning??

Steve, I will be on the road @ 5am :) Have a great time on the French!!!

Joe, You know I will!

G

Guest Johnny Bass
Maybe this will be the year I get one up there ::D

I'll be up there too fishing Calander bay. I believe staying at sunbeam cottages?????If you see my silver alumacraft, come and say hello! :thumbsup_anim:

Guest Johnny Bass
johnny, we'll just keep an eye out for the only dude on the lake not wearing a shirt... that should help us narrow down the crowd! :Gonefishing:

HH

Lets hope the weather permits but I think we are looking at a high of 12 degrees and rain on Sunday. Still, perfect pickeral weather!

I live here and do not believe the article for one second... If last winters season is an indicator of the spring season the article is a lie... Talked to my Native buddies and they seem to be netting mostly slot sized fish..... I guess we'll find out Saturday..

Randy