Reel Advice

huey graphite

I recently received a gift card for BPS and am looking forward to using it. I need a setup for trolling walleye on Lake Erie and salmon on Lake Ontario (with downriggers and planar boards).

I've heard a lot of good things about Okuma reels.

First of all, what is another name for a level winder reel?

I'm looking to spend about $100.00.

Any recommendations?

Edited by huey graphite

"I need a setup for trolling walleye on Lake Erie and salmon on Lake Ontario (with downriggers and planar boards)." - Okay, you plan on using lead core or braid/mono?

"I've heard a lot of good things about Okuma reels." - I have a couple convector line counters and they held up to 25lb+ salmon no problems last year. There are better trolling reels but Okuma's do for the price.

"First of all, what is another name for a level winder reel" - Clicker or linecounter reel levelwind?

"Any recommendations?" - If your just using leadcore off the boards or rigger then a penn levelwind will do, there about $75. If your using dipsey's you need a linecounter reel, Okuma's are in your price range. Get a model that will hold at least 300yards of 14lb test.

Good luck this coming year dude!

Well, after accepting a reccommendation from a high profile member here, I decided to purchase two Okuma line counter reels this year. Based on price, I thought I was getting a good deal.My standard reel for trolling has been the Diawa Sealine 47lc. It has all the benefits of superior engineering and performance, I've never had a problem with them!

Now, I've not personally had a problem with my Okuma's, however, I suggested to a friend of mine, who's a guide, that he consider the Okuma's as he was looking to replace some very old and very much used Sealines. He purchased 4 Okuma's (Convectors) this fall for the Quinte season. To date, two of them do not work anymore! The line guide on both have self destructed and the reels are useless. That being said, I'm sure that they would perform reasonably well, if you are not going to be using them every day, day in, day out. But, if your looking for a line counter reel that will last and last, you simply can't go wrong with the Diawa.

As a side note... if I had a complaint about the Sealines, it would be the size of the handles... that's where the Okuma shines... huge handle which gives you excellent leverage when cranking in a dipsey or planner board.

My buddy, removed the handles on his busted Okumas, and with some creative drilling and fileing, he's attached the over-size handles on to his Sealines. They work great and do help to remove some of the stress, reeling in in-line planers, dipseys and of course .... fish!

I have 3 Okumas that I run on Erie for walleyes and they work well for the pirce. If I was guiding and making a living off my fishing I would spend more money on the reels but for me they do a great job. I have the 45's with line counters on them.

Good Luck.

If you felt generous to yourself you could also consider a higher priced/higher quality reel such as the Shimano Tekota. They also make the Tekota in a Line Counter model.

They are pricey, but I believe in buying quality gear. You only get so many days to fish a year, the last thing you need is equipment failure when the bite is hot.

The Convectors had drag washer problems as well before but I think Okuma remedied that problem

Cheers,

Tony

If your doing anything with planer board, dipsey or lead core set up you really should have a line counter set up.

For entry level price go with the Okuma. I have 4 different Okuma's and can confirm I have had less than perfect performance from the Magda line. The Convector though has been very good.

The 30 size in the Okuma has enough capacity to do almost everything.

Next step up would be the Diawa. Very good performance and releiable. I have a 17 (little guy) that I use for lakers, walleye and spring salmon.

If you don't need the line counter look at the Shimano Tritons. For plain downrigging these reels are indestructable. I've had one for over 15 years and used and abused far beyond what would be recommended. Other than cleaning never had anything else that needed work on this reel.

listen to Headhunter, he speaks the truth.

i've owned about six or seven Okumas, and all the Convectors have failed, and two magda's have failed.

however, i use my stuff quite a bit.

if i was ONLY using them for walleye, i'd have full 100% confidence in the Okuma Magda series in size 20.

However, because you are talking salmon, i'd go with the medium sized Diawa Sealine....i wouldn't buy the 17 size reel, as it'll be far too small for salmon, and they will strip those gears....

Hope this helps.....

(if you dont need a line counter, the penn 309 is a dynamite reel!)

HG, take a hard look at the 47lc. It's a larger capacity reel, which gives you more options for line type and capacity. The Shimano Tekota is a very good reel, but if memory serves me well, they're in the $450.00 range! :unsure:

For that money, you could buy 3 Sealines!

HH

Ditto on the Sealines, I purchased three of the sealine 47 line counters in the last couple of years and have used them for Salmon and eyes on erie, and the work great no problems, In my opinion to buy new reels, whether using dipseys or not it would be worth the investment in line counters, as it's always nice after landing fish to bale to get the takcle right back into "the zone"

For a line counter, the Sealine SG47LC is a good bet. I'd opt for the 47 rather than the 27 for more capacity, low gear ratio and tougher drag. The 27 will be fine if you're strictly fishing Erie for wally's and bows but you'll benefit from the 47 when using dipsy's, inlines or Lake O Salmon hunting.

You also mentioned leadcore... you'll want a dedicated setup for this. A roller tip or all roller rod is nice but at the very least you'll want something with a big eye on the end. As for reels, you can't get much better value than a Penn 209M for 18lb leadcore or a 309M for 27lb leadcore. You don't need a linecouter, just count your colours.

-Brian

Slowpoke is correct, you don't need a line counter with lead core, but, if you have multiple lead core rods and the line colours are different with each spool of core, your gonna have to remember which rod has which colours on it... and when running more than two lead core rods, it can become a pain.

That's why I reccommend a line counter reel for Lead Core as well.

HH

I would suggest the Shimano Tekota LC 500 or 600. These reels have silky smooth drags and are very durable. I fish frequently with mine for salmon/trout muskie and walleye. The have been flawless for me. I believe the price is about $250 at Bass Pro. A bit more money but I look at how rain suits I bought over the yrs and could have bought a good Gore Tex suit easily.

Have fun shopping!

well i have been using sealines for about 5 years the 27 has never had a problem todate and the 17 i just picked up.

The best part was I picked up the sealine/rod combo at bps 149 plus tax it came with a gary/keith signature series rod for planer board 8.5 ft long I am sure this will last near a lifetime :Gonefishing: