On board battery chargers

rob v

Besides not havig to lug a regular deep cycle charger around or having to disconnect electronics while charging - are these on-board charges worth the expense ?

What other benefits are there to them ? If the existing (standard) charger you have functions okay why would someone consider purchasing one of these units ?

Also - if I,m just running a 12 volt system is a "multi-banked" charger necessary ?

Again - I know there's people on this board with experience to share.

Thanks.

Hey Rob,

For me, I wont buy one.It only take 10 secs to put the chager on the battey and 10 secs to take it off.But

thats just me.I dont like to spend extra money if I really dont need it

I agree! The only thing running off my deep cycle is the trolling motor so I just unplug that and connect the charger.

For me personally Rob, I think they're an excellent investment.

I've got a plug right at the end of my boat dock, and when I come in at the end of the day, I just tie up the boat, run the cord out from the on-board charger and plug it in. Come down to the lake in the morning, unplug it and away I go with a pair of fully charged deep cycles and I'm good for another day on the water.

Works good for me anyways :thumbsup_anim:

I've been using a Guest 2611 for years now and it's been flawless.

On boards that charge and shut off auto,you cannot do without. After a days on the water,you go home,plug it in,and unplug when you leave. Just DONT forget to UNPLUG when you leave. Other chargers,are a PAIN in the ars.

I sell the non marine version regularly usually come in a 2Amp charge which is best for a deep cycle or to keep a cranking battery topped up.... most of my customers use them for "wood trailers" with an electric hydraulic tilt & dump set up. Much harder on a battery than a trolling motor and some electronics

The lumberjacks swear 'em.

Cheaper than the initial cost of a battery and can save money in the end.

Doesn't your outboard have a charging system?

:Gonefishing: :Gonefishing:

Randy

If you look back in the posts, you will see that I also had the same type of questions.

I bought a Guest charger(5 + 5), installed it under my driver side console. LOVE IT! I just plug it in and no worries. I even installed an outlet in the garage above the boat and plug it in when it is inside to keep the battery up to full on "float" mode.

I just have one 12 volt to run my trolling motor and my charger was one that is able to double up the outputs so I get 10 amps at the start and then it trickles down. I used to drag the charger in/out with me all the time....it really is a pain in the arse!

I like this much better and my research tells me that I should be able to extend the life of the battery. The old one in previous boat was 9 years or so old!! Maybe I will get 10-12 out of this one!

Do your research and get what you NEED not what looks good.

FT

I have a 24 volt trolling motor, plus my cranking battery runs the live wells, bilge pump, fish finder, GPS etc. on a separate 12 volt circuit.

I want fresh batteries every morning and I don't want to switch cables from one battery to the other in the middle of the night.

My last boat had a two bank charger that recharged both trolling motor batteries at the same time.

I topped up the cranking battery periodically with a portable unit from CTC...

When I got this boat I installed a three bank charger so that the cranking battery also recharges at the same time.

All this from one extension cord and it's weather proof.

The portables don't like to get rained on! It was always a problem finding a way to shield it from the weather...

If you are fishing one day a week, and can protect the portable from the weather, I'm sure you can get by with a single unit no problem.

But, if you're fishing several days each week or fishing a tournament etc. you might want the convenience of a built in two or three bank charger.

I too am a avid on board charger user. Easy to hook up no fumbling around and your batteries are cared for better since it is so easy to charge them up when you come back to the dock or garage. I would not pull a new boat from a dealer without an on board with banks for each battery. I too started without an onboard but never again.

Sounds like there's pluses and minuses for each . My existing charger is nearing the end of its usefull life I think and if I'm going to spend the $'s I may as well look into the on-board units. Sounds like it's hard to go wrong - although from my initial investigation they're more $'s.

Randy - I'm using it primarily for my deep cycle battery.

I assume that the number of "banks" represents the number of batteries the unit can charge at once ?

Also - obviously you don't have to disconnect anything when you charge with the on-board unit. Is it that necessary to discounnect things prior to charging - maybe it's more important to do so when you charge at with higher amperage ?

Not only do you not have to DISCONNECT anything, you don't have to CONNECT anything either.

Just plug 'er in when you get back to your dock or driveway. Once its fully charged, it'll keep them topped up with a trickle charge.

I love mine.

I fought the urge to buy one for many years and about 5 years ago I purchased this one from Cabela's and believe me it was the best investment for my boat.

During the summer the boat is in the garage and plug in ALL the time. It recharges both batteries at the same time and MAINTAINS them once charged. When I rent a cottage somewhere I make sure I have access to a 110 volt plug to plug the boat in while docked. The charger recharges the batteries FAST for the next time out. The charger is waterproof so I don't have to worry about it raining etc.......... And when I store the boat for the winter I don't remove the batteries anymore, I just plug it in where I store the boat and the charger maintains both batteries for a longer battery life.

Here's the one I have. Check this one out as it will auto supply more amps to the weaker battery more than the stronger battery which is usually the trolling motor battery. PLUS this Cabela's charger is a lot less on the pocket book then most of the other name brand on-board chargers. (I have the ProSport 12)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true