First Carp-Very happy

idesign

I caught my 1st carp since i started fishing.missed 2 times but 3rd time didn't let it go.Thank you Photoz for showing me correct way to land the fish.It was nice meeting you.I was very happy2day.I had great desire to catch good size fish and i got it today.Once again special thankx to Photoz.It was all because of his great tip & advise i was able to land the fish.

DSC01035.JPG

Edited by New Angler

I can hardly wait till you get one that size in warmer water . . . . you'll have a ball! Since it's a bit of a drive down to Hamilton to Fishing World, any of you Toronto or Scarboro carpers have a fave store that stocks ANY decent carp gear out here? I suspect our 'New Angler' will be on the hunt for some, as summer approaches.

Great catch. With all the talk of carp, it looks like it might be time to make the switch from steel.

I can hardly wait till you get one that size in warmer water . . . . you'll have a ball! Since it's a bit of a drive down to Hamilton to Fishing World, any of you Toronto or Scarboro carpers have a fave store that stocks ANY decent carp gear out here? I suspect our 'New Angler' will be on the hunt for some, as summer approaches.

Depends on what you need. In Scarborough, Angling Specialties has some carp gear in stock. Anglers International (Known mostly as the distributor of Raven products) also has various tackle made by ESP, Top Mix Baits, Kamasan, Drennan and AngSpec can pretty much get you anything from them. There's also a few bits and bobs of Nash tackle lying around.

If you have nothing against mail/telephone order, I've ordered gear from the Long Sault Motel by phone. Jeff Vaughan has a wide selection of carp tackle. He lets you know the shipping and you have no additional brokerage or customs fees to pay. A great source of carp tackle IMO and for what I ordered, the prices would have been 45-65% higher if I ordered from one of the vendors in the States.

FishOnline at Jane and Lawrence has a good selection of stuff if you're willing to travel across the city.

Hope this helps

All other species people blank out the background. Fish for carp and you blank out yourself... L m a o

Ya...what's with blanking out your face ???

Nothing to be ashamed of...that is a good size carp !

OR...were you supposed to be at work ? :whistling:

Edited by Beans

Ya...what's with blanking out your face ???

Nothing to be ashamed of...that is a good size carp !

OR...were you supposed to be at work ? :whistling:

Hey buddy.thx for reply.

I was actually very happy as it was my first big catch :D + I am on vacation so no need to worry about work.The reason is that i don't like showing myself up on the net.

Ya Greg...I've known Photoz for a few years now and can remember how excited he was when he got his first baitrunner, carp rod and pod...

I just had to drop down to P'Boro to see this $1350 investment just to catch carp...(as a youngster I used a hand line of heavy cotton line with dough balls)...Hell, I've spent less for a used car back in my time... :D

Needless to say, I was impressed, and now have my own carp equipment thanks to some generous friends...(being retired doesn't mean a person is rich)...not that carp specialty equipment is absolutely necessary...just makes the sport a bit more pleasurable...

Edited by Beans

• 3 weeks later...
Ya Greg...I've known Photoz for a few years now and can remember how excited he was when he got his first baitrunner, carp rod and pod...

I just had to drop down to P'Boro to see this $1350 investment just to catch carp...(as a youngster I used a hand line of heavy cotton line with dough balls)...Hell, I've spent less for a used car back in my time... :D

Needless to say, I was impressed, and now have my own carp equipment thanks to some generous friends...(being retired doesn't mean a person is rich)...not that carp specialty equipment is absolutely necessary...just makes the sport a bit more pleasurable...

I don't mean to show up the carpers, sound negative or bump this thread, but $1350 on carp gear is a little ridiculous.

You can catch all the carp you'll ever want to catch with any decent rod/reel<$100. Damn, they eat canned corn for cripes sakes. Some say that summer crisp is the key, while other swear by peaches and cream. But most experts agree on DelMonte.

I don't mean to show up the carpers, sound negative or bump this thread, but $1350 on carp gear is a little ridiculous.

You can catch all the carp you'll ever want to catch with any decent rod/reel<$100. Damn, they eat canned corn for cripes sakes. Some say that summer crisp is the key, while other swear by peaches and cream. But most experts agree on DelMonte.

Nothing wrong with owning high-end gear. It can be seen in all areas of the sport

Steelheaders can purchase a custom centerpin + custom float rod for $1700+.

Bass anglers can purchase 1 top of the line Diawa Steez combo for around $1000

Fly anglers can purchase a top of the line House of Hardy combo for $2000

Just because we can catch fish on a combo costing $100 doesn't mean we have to :thumbsup_anim:

Nothing wrong with owning high-end gear. It can be seen in all areas of the sport

Just because we can catch fish on a combo costing $100 doesn't mean we have to :thumbsup_anim:

Point conceded.

Besides...With all the monies saved on not needing boats, motors etc. and bait being so cheap, the carpers got to spend their savings on sumpin I guess... :D

I thought the same thing too..............until my hook & doughball got skunked against the hair rig/maize/beep-beep pod onslaught 5-0 :wallbash:

I thought the same thing too..............until my hook & doughball got skunked against the hair rig/maize/beep-beep pod onslaught 5-0 :wallbash:

Nah i don't think that's true even though i own most of the equipment ... it doesn't mean that I'll catch more and bigger fish compared to someone who's just using a bass rod ... it just adds the excitement to it and personal preference i guess.

I caught my 1st carp since i started fishing.missed 2 times but 3rd time didn't let it go.Thank you Photoz for showing me correct way to land the fish.It was nice meeting you.I was very happy2day.I had great desire to catch good size fish and i got it today.Once again special thankx to Photoz.It was all because of his great tip & advise i was able to land the fish.

DSC01035.JPG

Great fish for that area. Fished there twice and never got a nibble. Thats a good size for your first carp. If you need anything like tips and tricks, go to www.ontariocarphunters.com. Sign up to the new forum (contest going on for free stuff shipped TYD) and post pics on the gallery.

What did you think of the fight? What bait did u use? The french carp (like yours) fish alot harder than the short and plump ones.

Daniel

You are 100% correct, no one needs what a carp angler has. All you really need is 2 sticks, steelhead rod, runner reel and bread, thats how I started off 12 years ago. But then I became a UK tackle tart and invested $23,000 in equipment and tackle over the years.

It's like bass you can use a worm and a bobber and you will catch one after the other. But I have $30,000 invested between a boat, equipment and tackle, just for bass.

Look at the muskie guys, thousands.

But I am not saying your wrong.

When I take people out carp fishing, they bring their regular setup, after the first 20lber they take my spare rods, because they can't handle that fish with a 6'6" rod. But yes you don't have to spend thousands to catch fish, you spend it for the addiction/obsession.

Again, I don't diagree with you in any way.

Daniel