Musky gear

I pulled the trigger this winter to go from heavy spinning combo pike fishing to full out musky gear. I did alot of reserch and learned it takes $$$ Below is a list of what I have picked up. I put in the prices so anyone thinking of getting into the sport would have a good idea of what it takes but keep in mind you can save money by going on ebay or OFC classifieds.

Abu Garcia C3 6501(lefty) $115

Shimano Compre 7" MH med action $140 (if i could go back i would have got a 8 footer)

Spider wire 65lb braid $30 ( too light??)

12lb mono (goes under braid to fill spool)$10

Over sized big game net with fin saver $65 (must)

12in 80lb florocarbon leader $8 each

plyers/wire cutters $30 (must)

This seemed to be the best set up for the price from my reserch. Should I upgrade my line? I was thinking cast ability at first. Probably a classic mistake from someone who has always used a spinning outfit. Prices on the lures are aprox I have had some of these for a while.

Heddon magnum zara spook $15

Blue fox double prop buzz bait in perch $14

9"suick in brown $15

10" Grandma in silver $23

6" rapala super shadin perch $12

med size bulldawg in orange $14

6" Red devil spoon in red/yellow $8

9"Storm swim bait in brown $6

Storm spinner/perch soft bait combo $6

MnG spinner in yellow n black $14

Grim reaper spinner in silver n white $19

MnG buckaboo inline $14

musky mayhem Double cowgirl in orange n black $25

musky mayhem Showgirl in red n silver$22

milk crate instead of tackle box (what diameter tubes should I use for inserts?)

Thanks for everyones help putting this set up together. Thought id give back.

You got a real nice starting set up; although in my opinion you only need maybe 3 or 4 lures to start. And you're right about buying used; can really save you a bundle. A big bundle.

I think if you buy right you can get into it with quality gear for maybe 200 bucks if you're lucky. Although maybe no net.....

Edited by Weeds

In my opinion the Abu C3 is too light a reel for big baits. Keep oil on the level wind and the worm gear, they wear out fast with heavy baits if you don't. I didn't like the Abu 6500 series on Bass rods, it was too wide and made the rig top heavy. You don't need the line capacity either for Musky. There is no difference mechanically between the 4500, 5500 and 6500's that I can recall. The spool is wider and the screw posts are longer, as you go up numerically. The 6500 series feel good on a Musky rod. It just seem to balance everything out nicely.

I like 80 pound braid because big baits will break 65 like sewing thread, when you throw a backlash. Maybe your baits aren't that big...

The backing doesn't matter. I used 20 pound Red Wolf crap mono. under the 80 pound braid on my Calcutta's. Musky aren't like Salmon who run away...They hold their ground and fight you right were you stand...grin.

If the Compre is a Musky model you have an excelent rod at a reasonable price. I don't know why you would want a longer one unless your seven feet tall. This rod might even seem too long at times when your working your Suick or other jerk baits.

If your Compre is a Bass rod, don't panic. You could probably land every Musky in the Kawarthas on a MH Bass rod and a 1/2 ounce spinnerbait.

In 2002, the only year I kept track, I landed forty-five Kawartha Musky using Bass tackle.

I personally wouldn't use a left handed reel, because I'm right handed. If you're left handed, cool, if you're right handed maybe you know a better way. If not, you have an excuse to upgrade your reel next year...grin.

Great feed back. My shimano rod is a musky edition and the reason for wanting a 8 footer would be for better figure 8s. I tried to buy a wide range of lures but knew my general plan of attack ie. in lines, spinners and top water. If I could go back I would have got the 8 footer as a starter then maybe next season a 6 foot heavy for the jerk baits ect. As for the lefty I am right handed but the 20 years of spinnig reals just wont go away. To retrive a thousand casts with my right would be like writing a thousand pages with my left. I cant wait till the may long to head to my pike lake and give the new gear a go.

Yeah, it all looks good except the line. Go up... Baitcasters let you launch a 1 ounce (or bigger) bait a mile. As long as the bearings are running smooth (oil is your friend) you can cast thick heavy line just like it was 6 pound test.

Just get used to stopping the spool with your thumb, don't rely on the brakes. And picking out birdsnests is actually easier with heavy line. But if you get your thumb control down, you won't have to worry about that.

You'll do just fine with that C3, it's not as smooth or sophisticated as many other musky reels but it's tough and will give you alot of years of service. I keep one in the boat for guests and it works well even after quite a few years of service.

Reel size is a personal choice but the 6500 is a good choice and it's nice to have the extra line if you need it for any reason. All my reels are either 6500 or 7000 size and I have no problem whatsoever casting with them all day long.

Your also right about the longer rod being best for figure 8's and an 8 footer makes it much easier than a short rod as you often need to change up the depth of your bait to trigger the fish to bite.

The length of rod for jerkbaits is also a personal choice and varies greatly between anglers and you'll just have to experiment and see what works best for you. I use jerkbaits about 1/2 the time and find a 6' 6" Premium suits me best, but I have friends who prefer 8 footers for the same job.

The ideal thing is to have several rods on board with each one being used for a different situation, but that's expensive and sometimes takes awhile to put together.

The Compre musky series is an excellent rod and will make a very good set-up when matched with the C-3. I have several Compres myself and like them every bit as much as my Premiers, infact I just bought another new one to use with a new Calcutta TE for my bucktail rod.

You may want to try that 65 pound line or go up to 80, but 65 is all I use for casting and have never had a line snap on me yet, but you'll find the 80 will cast pretty well as easy as 65.

I might suggest you up your fluoro leaders to 130 pound though. They take quite a beating, specially if your casting shallow water around rocks and stumps and you'll find they get cut up quite often in that situation. Only cost a few $$$$ more but will be worth it in the end.

As far as left hand versus right hand retrieve on your baitcast reels, DON'T listen to anyone else cause you'll get a 1000 different opinions. Pick out what feels best to YOU and buy it. You're the one that's using it and only YOU know what'll work best.

Best of luck this year and hopefully you'll get yerself a couple bigguns with your new gear :Gonefishing:

I use 80lb leaders, no problems yet but that's on LSC and mostly trolling. If you plan on doing any trolling, you may want to buy/make some longer leaders.

Looks like you have a nice setup!

-Brian

$8 for a 12 inch fluro leader?? MAN! I've been giving these things away for free with lures!

Sounds like you are all set. I use 65# Powerpro on a Quantum Cabo baitcast reel/Shimano Calcutta on a Shimano Compre with 80# fluro leaders I make myself.