Help...Fishing Ettiquette

nancur373

Hey guys. My buddy just got a boat, and neither of us are overly experienced in lake fishing. (did a lot of ocean fishing) I'm wondering when you are trolling or casting for that matter, how far should you keep away from other fishermen?

Thanks,

Curt

Edited by nancur373

If I don't have to use my binoculars to see what kind of motor they have... I'm too close.

Now in the BOQ or similar where everyone is trolling the same area... all you can do is give a few boat lengths and try to keep in synch

If you can see facial features you are too close, if you can read their registration number you are too close.....trolling, well thats a give or take, but casting let them have their space and hope they let you have yours. if not, but on a few sinkers and cast towards them if they get too close, even if they cut the line well you just lose some sinkers :lol:

If you can see facial features you are too close, if you can read their registration number you are too close.....trolling, well thats a give or take, but casting let them have their space and hope they let you have yours. if not, but on a few sinkers and cast towards them if they get too close, even if they cut the line well you just lose some sinkers :lol:

I prefer casting cannonballs.

casting distance is a good way of measuring how far to be away from another boat, But on Rice Lake a couple of weeks ago we were fishing in a marina and a guy snuck up beside us and anchored maybe 8 feet from us when the boat swung around in the wind. I also think it varies lake to lake, for instance if you are on a lake up north and you anchor within casting distance the guy is probably going to be a little upset.

Know your collision rules and use them, if you are to give way do it early so you can leave lots of room. If you are to stand on, do so up to the point where you have to decide if the other guy knows what he's doing and if its questionable give way before there's a problem.

The trick to fishing in packs is to make your moves obvios and early , make room for the other guy if its getting tight if you can and be awair of all the boats in the area.

This is on rice lake last year for crappie opener. This is acceptable, in this situation. The fish are schooled up tight, and you have to be right on them to get them. As long as I can cast as far as I can, and the guy in the next boat can as well......we're all happy.

P4170005.jpg

Now, if this were on another lake, for a different type of fish......I'd be getting the hell out of there, and finding a spot to myself.

Sinker

Like a couple have said, it depends on the situation.

Panfishing, its alright, because there are huge numbers of fish, that are quite easy to catch, so its not a big deal.

Trolling...about a cast length is acceptable, but give as much space as possible.

Casting....well, thats totally up to you, but for a ballpark you cant be within 150 feet of another boat during a tournament.

I tend to stick with that as a guideline.

Treat others as you wish to be treated.

(If they dont return the favour, tie on a few egg sinkers!) :lol:

Here's a good one on etiquette---last fall we were targeting smallies on steep shoreline drops.

99% of the boats were casting the shoreline with various baits. Now I'm an old backtroller and we were vertically jigging a specific piece of structure with great success.

When a boat wanted to work the shoreline I pulled off and let him cast as we were'nt targeting the same fish--most just kept working up the shore.

Well you guessed it one time I pulled off the spot (Which was small) and buddy decided he had found himself a new honey hole and stayed there as he had seen us catching.

Now they can make like a circle and go round

I just patterned what caught fish in that spot and found another and did well again---just it appeared that It was my duty to move off--nay nay

Kudos for asking!!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

We're on a big lake, and don't participate in tournaments or other high-pressure high-density events. We're out there first and foremost to unwind and enjoy the peace and quiet.

It's hard to unwind when it sounds like you're sharing your boat with a bunch of hooting & hollering teenagers, or a pontoon full of squealing 4 year olds. Oddly enough, those are the 2 types of boats that seem to lurrrrve sitting right on top of us. :wallbash:

Call me anti-social, but I'd ballpark my minimum comfort zone at about 300'. Farther is better. I don't mind our friends anchoring alongside us to visit, but anyone else...please go find your own chunk of wilderness. There's literally miles of it to choose from.

If an anchored boat full of strangers could hear you scream - you're too close. :)

remember the poor folk fishing in their canoes (like me) we can't move out of the way so please don't blast by at 80 clicks right beside the canoe- we will surely be going for a swim and I don't like swimming..............