My New Boat

danbouck

Well I picked up my new boat last week and took it straight down to Long Point to enjoy the weekend at the cottage.

Unfortunatly I ran into a few problems while on the water. First of all I noticed that my battery was getting drained. So I took of the cover and noticed that a fuse was blown. I put in the spare fuse but the battery was to drained to start it :wallbash: So I hooked up the trolling motor battery and headed back in. While the cover was off I noticed that they gave me the bigfoot motor. So that solves the shorting problem because it's going back for the proper motor.

To make the day even better when I was pulling the boat out my truck died :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: $940 bucks later the boat is back in the driveway.

I am still extremely happy with the boat and it is exactly what I wanted. Here are some pics.

PICT0664.jpg

PICT0667.jpg

PICT0673.jpg

(just exiting boathouse, Top snap done up 5 seconds later)

PICT0676.jpg

PICT0677.jpg

PICT0679.jpg

PICT0683.jpg

PICT0685.jpg

Edited by Dan Bouck

Guest skeeter99

nice ride!!!

dont want to rain on the parade but!!

I noticed it has a motorguide wireless, you might want to swap that out with a standard motorguide cable drive

It may work great now but if you are planning to keep the boat for a long time the foot pedal WILL FAILL!!! the electronics get dirty and wet and over time it is toast

just a little something to think about

nice ride!!!

dont want to rain on the parade but!!

I noticed it has a motorguide wireless, you might want to swap that out with a standard motorguide cable drive

It may work great now but if you are planning to keep the boat for a long time the foot pedal WILL FAILL!!! the electronics get dirty and wet and over time it is toast

I have had the motorguide wireless on my boat for a while now and haven't had any problems with it. I LOVE it!!! :wub::wub::wub:

I can sit at the console and run the trolling motor (from the back of the boat for that matter).

Thats a beautiful boat Dan, dunno if I'd squawk too much about the bigfoot over the regular 50 hp 4 stroke...

Edited by Greencoachdog

Great choice on the trolling motor.. why would anyone want to be tied to one with a foot pedal?? I run mine from the back casting deck 20 feet way and work my way out of shallow back bays using the key fob while tidying up the boat for the ride back down the lake. Thorpe uses his DAILY doing Muskie Charters and has never had an issue with his other than the screws come loose in the turning motor housing.. so watch those and if they come loose reinstall with some loctite.

NIce boat... are you saying they put the wrong motor on it for you? And something is wrong with (the dealer) if blown fuses on the maiden voyage?

Great choice on the trolling motor.. why would anyone want to be tied to one with a foot pedal?? I run mine from the back casting deck 20 feet way and work my way out of shallow back bays using the key fob while tidying up the boat for the ride back down the lake. Thorpe uses his DAILY doing Muskie Charters and has never had an issue with his other than the screws come loose in the turning motor housing.. so watch those and if they come loose reinstall with some loctite.

NIce boat... are you saying they put the wrong motor on it for you? And something is wrong with (the dealer) if blown fuses on the maiden voyage?

I emailed them with the problem and they stated that the bigfoot motors were sent marked as a normal 4 stroke from mercury and they will swap it out which will obviously be the end of the shorting issue.

The bigfoot is geared a little different for larger, heavier boats so you don't get as much speed. Since the dry weight of the boat is around 950lbs I don't see any reason on keeping it.

As for the wireless. I wanted that so I could have the control anywhere on the boat.

I fully understand the bigfoot and it's gearing difference.. but don't understand it causing a shorting problem. The fuse that blew.. was it on the alternator to battery lead? and fused lighter than the alternators output capability?

And again you'll love the wireless!

Edited by irishfield

I fully understand the bigfoot and it's gearing difference.. but don't understand it causing a shorting problem. The fuse that blew.. was it on the alternator to battery lead? and fused lighter than the alternators output capability?

And again you'll love the wireless!

It was a fuse inside on the motor itself. I didn't follow the wire but since the fuses at the battery did not blow I am assuming that it is somewhere in the motor. The fuse was a 25 amp so I don't think it was too light.

BTW.. Meant to quote GCD on the bigfoot issue.

So how about putting the foot pedal inside of a giant zip lock bag or using a key fob controller instead of changing the motor type.

Holy doodle, talk about false dichotomies.

Edited by Radnine

Nice..now ya need downriggers, GPS,VHF,Booster Cables & a case of Ginger Ale! Fish on!! :thumbsup_anim:

Downriggers - yes i still need

GPS - got

VHF - ordered

Booster Cables - bought today ;)

Ginger Ale - Well my usual Ale will work :whistling:

Edited by Dan Bouck

Hey Dan

Really nice ride, my buddy just picked up the exact same boat about two weeks ago.

We fished in it on Balsam last weekend.

His has the same Motor Guide Trolling motor with the hand remote and the little foot pedal, all wireless.

I found that his trolling motor was very noisy though and we got a few comments from all the Bass Boats around us who were using Minn Kota Trolling motors, they said it shouldn't be noisy at all.

Is yours loud when you are turning the motor?

Not trying to P on your parade, your new boat and motor is awesome, just trying to see whether yours is doing the same.

Stan

Hey Dan

Really nice ride, my buddy just picked up the exact same boat about two weeks ago.

We fished in it on Balsam last weekend.

His has the same Motor Guide Trolling motor with the hand remote and the little foot pedal, all wireless.

I found that his trolling motor was very noisy though and we got a few comments from all the Bass Boats around us who were using Minn Kota Trolling motors, they said it shouldn't be noisy at all.

Not trying to P on your parade, your new boat and motor is awesome, just trying to see whether yours is doing the same.

Stan

It was pretty quiet when I used it. I havn't heard a bow mount Minn Kota to compare it to but it seemed fine to me.

Email motor guide and see what they say.

Mine is dead quiet (same motor as Dan's)

Hey dan sweet ride...i have the exact same boat,,,i have put alot of time to figure out what works and what doesn't in the case of add on's and where to put them,,(down riggers,rod holders,onboard charger,fishfinder,lights,ect,,,if there are any questions ya have feel free to pm me and i'll let ya know what i've learned through experience on mine..again congrats!!! welcome to the legend club!!