The Outdoor Store

Radnine

Does anyone remember “The Outdoor Store” in Hamilton? It was at Parkdale and Main (I think).

Man I loved that store. :blush:

I have not ever been to a Labaron store, but based on their catalogue I would imagine it looks much the same as the way I remember this store.

Jim

I remember I bought a couple of rods for the kids during their clearout. I think they were $3.00 (don't forget 70's prices). We did a trip to Fishhog Lake near Coboconk and my youngest son Paul (Ned Devine) was probably about 10 and he had a monster bass on (probably about 5 pounds) and that freekin rod broke!!!! Talk about a disappointed kid and a Dad that felt like a cheap jerk!! :(:angry::dunno::wallbash::asshat:

Danforth near Victoria Park in East York! Glenn Gibbs was a great sportsman!

Used to spend alot of time.... (and money) .... in that store too Dan.

They were good stores, too bad they're no longer around.

One of my first part time jobs was working at The Outdoors Store in Dixie Mall. Right after I started it changed to Collegiate Sports but we still kept a very large footprint in the store with fishing, hunting and camping. I worked a couple of sportmans show for them and one year was set up right beside the scuttlebutt lodge display with Red Fisher signing his books of poetry. What a character.

I remember our first shipment of Fenwick "graphite and boron" rods. Kept them locked up behind a glass case with the long guns

If any of you know that store or have been associated with the industry I had the pleasure of working with Mr. Bill Robertson or Richardson ?? (I hope I have his last name right it might have been something similar)

Bill went on to work a number of years in the early 80s in the service department at the Mitchell store located on Haines Road in Mississauga. Wonder what ever happened to him. Shorter guy, big beard, very nice fellow - we had several memorable day trip for smallies and trout

There was one located ion London at the corner of Highbury and Oxford street. We lived at the other end of town, but I remember the excitement my buddies and I would feel, riding our bikes across town, just to walk through that store and maybe spend some of my paper route money.

I still have some Diawa reels I bought there as well as some rods. It was a sad day when they closed.

HH

I remember the one on Finch near Dufferin, bought a lot of lures there when I was a kid.

I remember that store aswell. Use to live Calidonia and Eglinton. My pop still has tackle with the outdoors store price tags on it.

Ah memories.

Thanks for that.

At the close-out sale of the Hamilton store I bought some lures that were made in Finland by Nils Master.

This was just at the time when I stopped fishing for about 20 years...

The first time I used these lures was in the Grand River below the dam at Dunnville in 2001.

I put an Olive over Yellow minnow on and caught a three pound Walleye. A few minutes later, as the sun was setting, I caught a five pounder.

I think my picture with that fish might still be on display at the "Fishing Shack" behind Grand Island BBQ."

Eventually that Summer, I caught fish on every one of the three different Nils Master shapes that I had saved all those years.

When I was kid we went to one in Hamilton just before going up north one summer. I splurged and bought a couple of lures that were .49¢ I was like 10 or so and my allowance was only .50¢ a week paid by weekly so I do mean I splurged LOL. Anyhow we were out fishing up north about 2 weeks later my dad and my uncle laughed because when I used the first "super" lure I had bought which was like a river runt but in a green and black frog pattern. The thing sank because water would seep in where the back treble hook was placed.... So I asked my uncle to borrow his lighter which got a look from my dad I can tell you I think he thought I was going to light a smoke or something.... Anyhow I took out the treble hook heated the plastic with the lighter and just before it melted the hole shut I screwed the eye hook with the treble back in.... It was sealed tight now and it worked without sinking but it moved kind of funny because of the angle I had worked the eyehook back in on. I think because it moved like a wounded frog across the water I caught 3 or 4 bass on that lure in about an hour while my dad and uncle didn't even get a bite.... It was a quiet ride home in the boat that night LOL.

Since that day though that lure hasn't even gotten a sniff from a fish but it is still in my tackle box and gets used ocassionally just for that one memory.... when I caught supper and my dad and uncle were speechless on the way back to the cottage.

Bought my my first fishing rod (that my parents didn't buy for me) there with my own money! Still have it and give it out as a loaner if needed. It's an old Zebco. Spent lots of time and a few dollars in that store before Collegiate took it over. The one I went to was at Brimley and Sheppard, about a 15 minute walk from my house when I was a kid. Ah good times!!! :Gonefishing:

I came across this The Outdoor Store. I wonder if it's part of the original chain? :dunno:

Edited by fishnsled

When I was kid we went to one in Hamilton just before going up north one summer. I splurged and bought a couple of lures that were .49¢ I was like 10 or so and my allowance was only .50¢ a week paid by weekly so I do mean I splurged LOL. Anyhow we were out fishing up north about 2 weeks later my dad and my uncle laughed because when I used the first "super" lure I had bought which was like a river runt but in a green and black frog pattern. The thing sank because water would seep in where the back treble hook was placed.... So I asked my uncle to borrow his lighter which got a look from my dad I can tell you I think he thought I was going to light a smoke or something.... Anyhow I took out the treble hook heated the plastic with the lighter and just before it melted the hole shut I screwed the eye hook with the treble back in.... It was sealed tight now and it worked without sinking but it moved kind of funny because of the angle I had worked the eyehook back in on. I think because it moved like a wounded frog across the water I caught 3 or 4 bass on that lure in about an hour while my dad and uncle didn't even get a bite.... It was a quiet ride home in the boat that night LOL.

Since that day though that lure hasn't even gotten a sniff from a fish but it is still in my tackle box and gets used ocassionally just for that one memory.... when I caught supper and my dad and uncle were speechless on the way back to the cottage.

That's a the kind of story that will get passed on and inspire future fishermen for generations.

Thanks.

Jim