Whats Wrong With Bass Pro Shops

MCTFisher9120

So, being promoted to department manager is not called "not goin' nowhere"? Just funnin with you Roger.

I never ever have problems with retail folks. Make friends with them and you'll be steered right.

Jackie hasn't gone anywhere, he is now the Department Manager!

That's good to hear Roger, & Jackie is definetely an asset to BPS.

Even back in the day when he had his own shop on Eglinton I'd stop in for a chat with him, even if I didn't need anything.....great guy !!

I have three of what were their top-of-the-line rods. I bought them in the US, on sale and think they're great. In the past I have bought a couple of BPS spinning reels on sale. The prices were so low I could pretty well consider them to be "Disposable Reels." That turned out to be a good thing when I lost a handle off of one of them, because there were no parts available!

I find that the USA prices are in line with other retailers. The CDN prices are another matter considering the strength of our dollar. I understand that items imported with a weaker dollar are still working their way through the system, but if they want to keep me out of CTC and Wal-Mart or discourage me from cross-border-shopping, they will have to do a better job of reflecting the value of my money.

In BPS Vaughn's last sales flier most of the prices were the same as the US sale prices, so things are getting better.

Me neither! Have I been missing something glaring on the website/flyers all this time?

If you wouldn't mind posting some details, Roger, I'd love to know:

1) if this is a straight match, or there's an extra 10% type bonus, like at Staples

2) what paperwork/proof is required to establish the competitor's price/availability

3) if/how shipping charges are added in (if you're matching an online competitor)

4) the big one - how about matching the mail order prices from basspro.com?

I have a pair of BPS Wally Marshall signature pro series crappie 8ft rods that are great except for one thing the reel seat is a little weak for a rod of that quality. It works fine but for about 10 cents more they could have put on a quality seat charged me another 20 bucks and everybody is a winner.... That being said the day I was using the rod for bassing and it handled two 4lb plus smallies on steriods with ease it put in a whole category of quality in my opinion.

I think a lot of times with equipment it depends on the user. Some guys just break a lot of stuff no matter how well designed or made it is. I know many of these types since they are always the ones who want to borrow my stuff when they go fishing that one or two times a year.... Other people can use the cheapest junk I wouldn't even sell at a yard sale or give to my worst enemy and catch tons of fish with it for years and years....

I shop BPS a lot. Right now I've been snapping up their Lazer Eye Pro spinnerbaits at $2.99 a pop. Absolutely killer baits for the price. I really like their Bionic Blade and Extreme rods, and the XPS balancing system on their baitcasters - I'm sad to see them going away from it on some models.

Roger,

I picked up my Eagle unit @ Angling Outfitters for 349.00 when BPS was 599.00 would BPS have matched it? would a phone call be in order to ensure the price and that stock was available?

I would just like to know what BPS's procedure is when another shop has them beat hands down.... As I work 5 minutes from BPS...

Or does it have to be something that is advertised? perhaps you could ask George for us?

G

I hate BPS and don't really shop there. I buy most of my gear from JB's, Peters Tackle/ Bronte Outdoors, Fish On Line, Tightlines, Le Baron, etc. but mostly JB's.

BPS is a ginormous ripoff american company. Nice to walk around and play with stuff. Thats about it.

Edited by Sebastian

I hate BPS and don't really shop there. I buy most of my gear from JB's, Peters Tackle/ Bronte Outdoors, Fish On Line, Tightlines, Le Baron, etc. but mostly JB's.

BPS is a ginormous ripoff american company. Nice to walk around and play with stuff. Thats about it.

That whats great about the society we live in it`s your money and you can decide to spend your money where ever you want but to say BPS is a ripoff is silly I have walked out of that store with many good deals, I drop by there today and walked out with another good deal.

Me neither! Have I been missing something glaring on the website/flyers all this time?

If you wouldn't mind posting some details, Roger, I'd love to know:

1) if this is a straight match, or there's an extra 10% type bonus, like at Staples

2) what paperwork/proof is required to establish the competitor's price/availability

3) if/how shipping charges are added in (if you're matching an online competitor)

I picked up my Eagle unit @ Angling Outfitters for 349.00 when BPS was 599.00 would BPS have matched it? would a phone call be in order to ensure the price and that stock was available?

I would just like to know what BPS's procedure is when another shop has them beat hands down.... As I work 5 minutes from BPS...

Or does it have to be something that is advertised? perhaps you could ask George for us?

I will get back to you with the exact Company Policy. Don't want to say the wrong thing :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will get back to you with the exact Company Policy. Don't want to say the wrong thing :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I too would like to know considering there is a web price of $199.00 for an item that is $269.00 in store...

I don't know the guys name but he helped me out a lot at the reel counter when the BPS baitcaster was on sale and you got a free rod. he was great considering the other guy I spoke to about 20 min prior had no clue. he told me way more and asked me a lot of questions to make sure I was getting what's right for me, so thanks! the only problem I have had is the Cast Control in the Extreme baitcaster I got is a P.I.A. to move. I need plyers to move it...

If BPS does indeed have a price-match policy, they should make sure that all of their employees are aware of it.

I was in the market for a new bow mount last year after I fried my old one and was shopping around to compare prices and found the one I wanted was $30 less at LeB's. I didn't want to deal with LeB's because of past problems so I called BPS to see if they'd match the price and was told no, BPS did NOT offer that.

I told him I was under the impression that BPS would match anyone and he told me I was 100% wrong in my thinking and if I wanted to save $30, I should go and deal with LeB's......nice eh ??

$30 isn't alot of money, but it's better in my pocket than someone elses :dunno:

I like BPS, but some of their store brand items just don't have the quality I like. I bought a rod and reel combo about 10 yrs ago and the rod is still going strong but the reel was toast midway thru the second season. I've tried their Redhead apparel and footwear and it's not as good as Cabelas. Their Offshore Angler Sabiki rigs are crap, the cheapest hooks I've ever seen!

They do have a great selection of name brand fishin' tackle and the prices on some things can't be beat!

I'd love to hear about the price matching as well. I went in and talked to a guy about a GSP/Fishfinder combo...asked a bunch of questions that he didn't really answer. When I told him that a competitor had it for a cheaper price he shrugged and repeated BPS's price.

That being said, I'll still go there from time to time to spend my bucks....I love walking around that store and seeing all the merchandise!!

i just noticed something...the price match info is right on the front page of the fishing fever sale flyer...but I still want to know about the web price vs. store...

if it was Steve (shaved head I think, well short hair) thanks Steve.

I don't have as many shopping options as you big-city guys.

We live between Peterbourgh and Bancroft when in Canada and in a small city where there are three Wal-Marts, but only one real fishing tackle store, when in the USA.

Basically, if I want something that CTC or Wally-World doesn't stock I have to buy it on-line. I get e-mail fliers from BPS on an average of once a month and they always have good sale prices on a few items I want/need.

Since they do have good sales, perhaps that's why their regular prices aren't as good as the best you can find elsewhere. On the other hand, you can't compare a huge chain store with tons of stock-on-hand, and a reputation to uphold with some on-line guy who operates out of his basement.

As far as BPS House Brand stuff is concerned, I have had good luck with their stuff, but have never bought a BPS brand item that wasn't on sale!

Here are the replies to questions from George Wallace BPS Canadian Market Manager.

Hope this helps.

1) if this is a straight match, or there's an extra 10% type bonus, like at Staples – Straight match; no additional discount

2) what paperwork/proof is required to establish the competitor's price/availability – catalogue, flyer or web print out

3) if/how shipping charges are added in (if you're matching an online competitor) – do not match online prices from online retailers (only other retailers) . . . shipping is extra in any event . . . if Radio World has “x” available at $$$ we’ll match that . . . and pricing can be verified for example online.

Quite simply, the cost of doing business in Canada is substantially higher than in the U.S. (much like purchasing a vehicle). Some pricing has been matched. Others in fact we are cheaper than the U.S. When we buy from Canadian distributors, we typically incur an additional cost; we support the Canadian industry for obvious reasons, but this also allows us to better serve the customer through special events such as the Classic etc. Some items when shipped across the border we incur a duty, on top of our brokerage/customs fees & transportation related costs etc. We are market competitive with our pricing. And, we also give back to the resource and those that use it. Would LeBaron’s or any other competitor match a U.S. mail order price? Yes; we’re Bass Pro Shops . . . but much like Home Depot or any other U.S. based retailer, our cost structures are different than that in the U.S. and that is reflected in the price of product. We run independent of our U.S. sister stores to some extent . . . we pay municipal, provincial and federal tax. We employ over 300 people. And, like I had made mention, something that I believe BPS does better than anybody else, bias aside, they give back; they believe in being a community partner within the realm of its giving strategy – conservation, fish & wildlife.

Yes. So long as it was model for model; year for year. Not on clearance or a special close out buys. We’ve reduced some of our electronics across the board.

we have a low price guarantee. With 60+ ,000 SKU’s we cannot monitor market price changes on a daily basis but do our best. Ideally, we need to be presented with a sales flyer, website of the store in question etc . . . again, we do not match internet based businesses only.